Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/4/28 12:35
2 of us intend to visit Osaka first when we landed in Tokyo airport.

May i know which airport (Narita or Haneda?) & transport (Train or Flight?) is the most convenient & speed to reach Osaka Namba. (Is Namba the best place to stay?)

After staying in Osaka for 7days, we will move to Tokyo cites. ( Best transport recommendation?)

Thanks
by Marcus tt  

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/4/28 20:32
Flying is easiest and cheapest. It takes under 2 hours to fly directly from NRT to Osaka for about Y10,000. Taking a train will take at least 6.5 hours and will cost about twice as much.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/4/28 21:40
Flying is better.... The train takes only 4 hours.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/4/29 09:33
Personally, I prefer to take the NEX (Narita Express) from Airport to Shinagawa (Tokyo) and change there to the Shinkansen to Kyoto or Osaka...why?...because I can view the towns, country side, ocean, stations etc throughout the absolutely spotless clean large windows of the trains...I visit japan to 'see' Japan!. Flying may be quicker, but you see nothing!...if your are travelling to Japan to see and experience the 'Japanese way'...take the train!...as do the Japanese people...much, much more fun and enjoyable!. Also, the train delivers you into the Cities!...from Airport after waiting for baggage etc., you then have the extra expense and time to catch bus etc. into the cities!...'take the train!'....you will be glad you did.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/4/30 00:56
You should look into the possibility of flying straight into Osaka, instead of into Tokyo. Many international airlines fly into Osaka.
by mafepero rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/4/30 01:30
As said by mafepero, why not fly to osaka from your home country and spend your 7 days, then the remaining days in tokyo, then fly out from tokyo, as Barrieaw has pointed out, I do prefer the train, you get to see more, and although it's cheaper to fly, you still have to reach the city at extra cost, pass through customs and wait for baggage.

If you decide to fly, try peach airline from tokyo to osaka return, the price is about 13000 yen return price all inclusive (baggage at extra cost due to LCC airline), rather than JAL or ANA which is about 10000 yen one way, but then you pay for the branding and service.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/5/16 22:37
Thanks for all the replied.
I have booked direct flight to Kansai airport & fly home from Haneda airport.
Osaka 6nights & 7nights in a Tokyo. (Hotel already booked)

Intend to just buy 7days JR pass use it in Osaka & on the 7th day, I used it to travel to Tokyo.
•Wondering do I need another 7days jr pass to use in Tokyo?

My trip is more on relaxing & intend to visit Kyoto, Hakone & Mt Fuji.
•Should I visit Hakone while I'm in Osaka or Tokyo?
•Any relax itinerary for my stay in 6nights Osaka & 7nights Tokyo?

Thanks all
by Marcus tt rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/5/17 01:27
Generally, it makes sense to visit Hakone when traveling between Osaka and Tokyo. You get off the shinkansen in Odawara and transfer to the Odakyu line to get to Hakone Yumoto Station. When going back to Tokyo, you can either pay for the shinkansen back from Odawara or take a private line Odakyu train direct from Hakone Yumoto Station to Shinjuku.

While I love the JR Pass, if the only shinkansen trip you are taking is Shin-Osaka to Odawara, you are better off just buying a regular ticket. JR Passes pay off when you do lots of shinkansen travel. It is very easy to get between Osaka and Kyoto and there are many ways, it depends on where you are staying in Osaka and where you are trying to get to in Kyoto. The JR pass also doesn't cover the Tokyo Monorail between Haneda and Tokyo.

If you're flying into KIX I use to like taking the bus to OCAT near Namba. I want to say it was only around 900 yen one way and ran twice an hour.

I love trains, but to be fair some flights within Japan can be quite scenic. Towadako is quite impressive from the air and I've gotten some amazing views of Mt. Fuji.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/5/18 21:41
Thanks, I will visit Hakone when traveling between Osaka and Tokyo. But is a day is enough in Hakone?
Easy to move around in Hakone with luggage?

As for JR Pass, I will just get regular tickets for Osaka & Tokyo. I'm staying at Namba-shinsaibashi Osaka & shinjuku kabukicho Tokyo

Why is taking bus from KIX to OCAT near Namba better than train?
by Marcus tt rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/5/19 00:36
It's not necessarily, I guess the Nankai line is fine, but I've never used it so I don't know about space for bags. The OCAT bus always had tons of storage for bags. I find the Harukas are pretty expensive and you need to transfer at Tennoji if you want to go to Namba and I'd rather go directly where I want to be. And since you're paying out of pocket, it seems silly to pay more to take a JR train when there are cheaper options.

Generally, you have two options for luggage. You can find storage lockers/a left luggage facility or you can takyuubin it from one hotel to another. For large bag it will be around 2200 yen to send it from Osaka to Tokyo and it arrive the next day. If you do that, you bring a small bag with you with a change of clothes for the next day and so finding a locker or having suitcase for sightseeing is a non issue. How long you want to spend in Hakone is up to you and how many days of vacation you have available. Regardless, it is easy to return to Tokyo from Hakone and not a terribly expensive trip. If you're staying more than one night in Hakone, as long as you arrive in Hakone Yumoto station before 13:00 you can pay to same day transfer luggage from Hakone Yumoto Station to most hotels and ryokans in the Hakone area. Or you can be like me, and send your big suitcase onto Tokyo and have a small overnight bag with two outfits just for Hakone.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/5/19 03:09
Re: your transportation and accommodation

The JR pass doesn't cover the Tokyo Monorail between Haneda and Tokyo.

Tokyo Monorail has been practically covered by Japan Rail Pass in recent years (since the 21st of October 2010).

- Japan Rail Pass: Scope of validity
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html#bm_003

Anyway, a Japan Rail Pass cannot pay off for your itinerary planned at present.

You get off the Shinkansen in Odawara and transfer to the Odakyu line to get to Hakone Yumoto Station.

This line is the train line of Hakone Tozan Railway, which is a company of Odakyu Group.

You may think as if this line were a line of Odakyu Electric Railway, because the Odakyu Odawara Line and this line are jointed in Odawara Station and through train services are available until Hakone-Yumoto.

- JR-East: Maps of Odawara Station(s)
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e382.html
: You go through first the JR Shinkansen exit gate then the Odakyu - Hakone-Tozan common entrance gate.

- Hakone Tozan Railway
http://www.hakone-tozan.co.jp/en/

I'm staying at Namba-Shinsaibashi Osaka & Shinjuku Kabukicho Tokyo

Where actually are your hotels?

Namba OCAT is near JR-Namba Station.
(Here "JR" is in the station name itself.)
Namba Stations of Nankai and subway are a little away from Namba OCAT, and Shinsaibashi is a bit farther.

There may be a bus stop for airport limousine buses which is closer to your hotel.
http://www.kate.co.jp/en/timetable/detail/OC
http://www.kate.co.jp/en/timetable/detail/UH

By the way, are you aware that Kabukicho has been known well for its red light district?
I guess that your hotel is in the nearby calmer district (where also Shinjuku City Hall is), but when a kid or a lady is among you travelers, it does not sound the best place for you to stay overnight.

- Japan Guide: Shinjuku; Kabukicho
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3011.html#kabukicho

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Airport to Osaka city & back Tokyo city 2017/5/19 22:40
You wrote: •Wondering do I need another 7days jr pass to use in Tokyo?

A 7-day JR pass is probably more expensive than the individual trips you plan to take, depending of course on what you plan to do when you get to Tokyo. I used a PASMO card for trips on the subway and JR Yamanote line (you just use machines to add more money when you run low) and then paid for the trips to Narita and Kamakura individually. Details are here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

reply to this thread