Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Did I waste my time? 2017/4/30 01:29
Hello fellow Japan lovers

I am here, sitting in Tokyo, visiting Japan like my 10th time. I used to live in Tokyo for almost 2 years about 10 years ago. I know Nihongo (Level 2, now probably dropped to Level 3 since I haven't studied and focused on the language in a while) and I absolutely love this country. I have been back home in Switzerland, working and studying and trying to figure out what to do in my life the past few years. I wasn't sure if I wanna emigrate forever. I was young and needed to figure out stuff and get to know myself. My country is not too bad after all, especially the salary is pretty freaking awesome. But now, after being in Japan again, I definitely know that I want to have my future here. Japan is and always has been my destiny. Ever since a child. My question just is, did I wait to long to make my dream come true? I am turning 32 today. I have an education as a commercial clerk and graduated from hotel management school in Switzerland about 1 1/2 years ago. It must be something between college and bachelor, it isn't a bachelor though. I have some connections here, but mostly they are just friends. Japanese. One friend might be able to give me a visa through his company, but I don't wanna cheat my way into Japan. I am not someone who does illegal stuff. I want/need to go back home now (Not a lot of money, just on holidays this time, got bills to pay back home) to work and save money. I plan to like gather around 20-30k within a year or two (possible in Switzerland) and then come back to study for like a year or two of Japanese again (hopefully on a student visa so I can stay a while and try to find a job) to become completely fluent in the language. Languages are my strength, becoming perapera in nihongo like 99% is very possible for me. I can get there if I study hard, I know :) The problem is, as you all know, the visa. There is no working holiday option for me. What I figured out is that I have two options: Marry a Japanese (which I want some day, but hell...who can force love? No one. I wanna marry for love, not the visa) or get an investor/business visa. Any company working visa might be out of my sight since I have no bachelor. I am not sure if my Swiss hotel management is accepted here. I've never really seen any gaijin working in the hospitality business here, maybe apart from some Koreans. What do you think, is it a good idea to go home and put all my energy and power into my dream, so that I might be able to live here in like 4-5 years? I might wanna start becoming an English or German teacher or maybe somehow figure out how to get a job in the hospitality business. In the far future, I would like to open my own business, Swiss restaurant or Hostel. Something in that direction. Money is not a problem, I will inherit a very good amount to create any kind of business within the next two to three years. Just wondering what you guys think? Did I waste my last 10 years and I should just have stayed here or can I still do it if I put all my energy into it? I don't wanna become rich in Japan or anything. Just work in my own small business, preferably with a Japanese wife or some fellow business partner (don't matter whether gaijin or not, I'm not the type of gaijin who hates other gaijin. I actually like having some different culture friends.) I wish that I can settle down with my own business, hopefully Japanese wife and perfect (!) nihongo by the time I'm around 40. So I got like 8 years now.

Is it all in all worth a shot and will I be able to somehow figure out how to settle down here or am I too late with my 32 years and should I just stick to my country? What do you guys think? Any honest opinion is much appreciated, but please don't bash at me. I could be married here with a Japanese by long now, but I did some mistakes in my life that I'm not proud of and changed for the better. Hell... we were all young at some point and at least I got my hotel management degree now. Swiss hotel management schools have a pretty good reputation worldwide, even if it's not a university degree. If opening my own business doesn't work, being an employee in the hospitality business in a fun and decent job is also something I'm looking for.

The visa issues are just killing me and being an English/German teacher for the rest of my life is also not something that I want. It's very hard to settle down here forever in my situation. I wanna live in Fukuoka. Tokyo is waaaaaay to busy for me.

Thank you for your inputs, ideas, opinions, anything and oyasuminasai :)

Didiyama
by didiyama  

Re: Did I waste my time? 2017/4/30 10:19
Even if you wasted your time, I think it is not worth asking about it. Since it seems you have a stable financial future, I would give the realization of your dream a chance. Tourism is booming in Japan, and with your educational background you have something to offer. Japan is also warming up to welcoming more foreign tourism workers and entrepreneurs to the country which could result in relaxed visa requirements. If you have the proper funds, an "investor visa" could be the option. If not, then getting a university degree or the required minimum work experience in the relevant field are alternatives. Good luck & hoping to see you in a future edition of "Auf und davon"!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Did I waste my time? 2017/4/30 10:19
Relatively easy to get a work-visa for hospitality-related jobs, you need:

1. a job where knowledge of foreign languages/cultures is needed, which are quite plentiful due to the recent boom in foreign tourism; and
2. three years' experience, which supposedly you can easily get by working in Switzerland.

Having a degree in the field will also probably give you a leg up with employers. Doesn't matter that it's not a bachelor; a bachelor is not required.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Did I waste my time? 2017/4/30 10:21
If you have capital and a business plan, Fukuoka is actually the only place in Japan that offers a "start up" visa, a relaxed version of the business manager visa, for foreigners looking to start local businesses. It doesn't mention a degree as a requirement (though you will be expected to show you have the skill/background to run the business you propose). This could be an option once you've finished your language studies.

http://www.city.fukuoka.lg.jp/keizai/r-support/business/startupviza_en...
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I waste my time? 2017/4/30 19:03
Like many in the forum have already said, you have a chance to work in the hospitality industry here in Japan if you have a good level of Japanese.
The only thing I would ask is if while you are un Switzerland saving money, there isn't the chance to upgrade you degree in Turism to a Bachelor's Degree somehow. If you can do that, with your experience and knowledge of English and Japanese you will have really good chances.
by el seba (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I waste my time? 2017/5/1 09:21
Lots of foreign people work in hospitality, especially in the back office and sales of international chains. Schools of hospitality in Switzerland are very prestigious too, I think you should give it a try.
I also work in travel (not hotel though) and half my coworkers are not Japanese.
Ganbatte!
by krr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I waste my time? 2017/5/3 18:54
Never did you waste you time, do not think that way! You are still young and full of possibility, no matter what others may say about not being settled down, I mean, job-wise. I am completely in the same situation, but the other way around. I am Japanese who fell in love with Switzerland when I traveled there as a student at the age of 20. Since then, my wish to live in Switzerland someday has been sticking to my heart all the time, ALL THE TIME. I looked for any possible way (except for an illegal way, of course. Like you, I want to be accepted by the country as I am, you see) but in vain. I understand the visa issue is unbreakable even though your love and passion towards the country are such strong. I hope you keep looking for a way to make your dream come true, your feeling towards this country won't just fade away unless you make some action to convince yourself, I say so from my experience.

You have a great advantage in your skills and knowledge in the hospitality filed. Plus, you seem to have a good command of German and English as your mother tongues and Japanese as a second or third(?) language. Together them all, it is a big plus in this country. You are few steps ahead already. How about starting as a intern? You may not get monetary reward, but you will get something money cannot get (and that is what you want more, isn't it?). Or, starting as a volunteer may be another option. Also, I would suggest looking for smaller places, such as Takayama in Gifu that attracts many tourists from outside and inside Japan, as they are often short-handed in foreign languages and ideas from foreigners' eyes. If starting your own business is something you hope stronger, these smaller but tourists-populated areas are worth to be taken into consideration, I think?

Last but not least, although this may sound too irresponsible and too superficial, I hope I can help you in any way, as someone I have the same kind of struggle. I hope you keep your serious thinking "honki" straight, and most importantly, Be positive! Never end up being just a language teacher hired by a distrustful school just because of your gaijin outlook :)
Best wishes with hope for good luck,
by Misaki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread