Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese language courses for old people 2017/5/1 06:03
I'm 70 years old and want to come to Japan for a short language course, probably about 2 months. Some of the other threads I've read consider 30 years as "old" so I'm a little concerned that either I won't be accepted or other students will be teenagers. There must be other oldies who want to improve their language skills in Japan and there may be courses especially for them - can anyone help me please? I have some basic knowledge having studied for about 18months in the UK.
by Robert Lewis (guest)  

Re: Japanese language courses for old people 2017/5/1 11:37
Indeed many Japanese language schools that have full-time 1 to 2 year courses often design their courses for high school graduates who want to enroll in Japanese universities, so the pace might be somewhat different from what you'd expect. I don't know what kind of learner you are, but would you consider private lessons, or small group lessons in the evenings for people working during the day?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language courses for old people 2017/5/1 12:23
Nichibei in Yotsuya (Tokyo) has classes geared to adult learners. Also one of the big language schools in Shinjuku (maybe in Nishi-Shinjuku) is targeting adult students - you can probably find it with a bit of onilne research.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language courses for old people 2017/5/2 10:18
My Taiwanese friend who is 60s is now studying on a part time course in the Japanese language school.

There are some other options other than school and private lessons.
1. Lessons by municipality
e.g. https://www.itabashi-ci.org/int-en/japanese-learning/fhjc/
2. Program by volunteer
e.g. http://ishijls.webnode.jp/english/programmes/

by Tajin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language courses for old people 2017/5/2 21:00
Thank you all for your recommendations, very helpful. I will certainly investigate them, particularly the ones that offer my preferred option of two months full time teaching.
by Robert Lewis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language courses for old people 2017/5/2 22:11
Please be careful with some 'famous' or 'big' schools, you will lose your time and money not just won't be satisfied with lessons.
Some of them today are like 'job agent' for students from certain countries, whose purpose is working, they never give quality lessons.
(I think this is the reason why some guys suggested you private lessons or lessons by city office?)
I would stronly reccomend you to check whether school you chose is 'tekiseikou' (適正校) or not.
If your school is recognised as a tekiseikou, it is an authentic school.
by , (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese language courses for old people 2017/5/4 18:59
Thank you. That explains a lot! I will check the schools carefully and may even opt for private lessons.
by Robert Lewis (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread