Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/1 22:08
I would like to know if I can work from home as a freelance in japan and pay taxes, My free lance job consists of making websites, if not can I work part time job somewhere? is that something I can do in japan ? and if i can't, what is the best way to work freelancer in japan ? please , i need details and thank you.
by aminato  

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/2 08:00
Freelance work is allowed on a spouse visa. Alternatively, if you are on a student of dependent visa, you can apply for permission to work up to 28 hours per week. However, there is no "freelance visa".
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/3 09:06
There is no "freelance visa," for people who want to work in Japan at home via the internet remotely and gain income in another country.

To stay in Japan any long-term you'd need some kind of visa (or resident status) that allows you to do so. The Japanese Immigration authorities grant such status based on whether one "needs to be" in Japan to do what they want to do - so if a Japanese company wants to hire you and wants you to work in Japan, there is a work visa (of different categories), if you want to study something in Japan in a school (be it language or college/uni.) there is a student visa, if you are married to a Japanese national and you want to live together as a couple in Japan there is spouse visa, and if your non-Japanese spouse is going to work/study in Japan and you want to join him/her there is dependent visa, but not for people who can be anywhere else as well (because your work is remote) and come live in Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/3 12:22
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/3 22:13
Thanks for the replies ,however, with my skills ,can i find a job with 6 hours per day ? i mean with work visa and thank you again
by aminato rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/4 18:38
What skills? You haven't told us anything!

Do you have a degree? If so, is it in a relevant subject? How many years work experience in the field do you have? Were you working for a company in that area, or in that role? Do you have a portfolio of sites you've worked on?

No way to give you an answer unless you give us enough information.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/4 21:55
i see, i have a diploma in IT ,and i'm web developer ,i'm still searching for a job ,but i am already had some work with some clients via internet.

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/4 23:31
Is your diploma a bachelor degree equivalent? If not, you'll need considerable experience to be eligible for a visa.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/4 23:35
i have both , first i had bachelor diploma and after 2 years i had diploma in IT

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/9 17:25
Hi,

it's not that easy to find a work in Japan.
If you searched a little bit, you'll get to know that many people are trying to do so.
IT got more jobs but many required Japanese. Only few companies are whiling to sponsor you.
Because there is a risk you do not get the visa.
They usually offer to sponsor you if you have already nailed the interview with the client (in the case of outsourcing). small companies will try to hire locally or offshore.
Especially if its building website, gathering requirement from Japanese customers might requires Japanese skill.
Anyway Bachelor in IT is a must. Associate degree might be OK with relevant experience which doesn't seems to be your case.
Hope it helps.

Bonne chance.
by frenchdude (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/9 18:41
Depending where you come from and your age, you may be eligible for a working holiday visa. With one of those, you'd be able to legally stay in Japan for a year; I think it would be legal for you to work remotely while doing so, and you could submit your taxes at your ward's tax office. During that year, if you're able to either secure work in Japan with an employer who can sponsor you, or enough freelance work (actually in Japan rather than remote to elsewhere) to earn enough to 'self-sponsor', then you could stay longer. If not, then you'd have to leave at the end of the WHV.
by Simon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/9 19:30
with my skills ,can i find a job with 6 hours per day ? i mean with work visa

I don't think you can get any visa for working with a part time contract.
(you can do part time work if you have a visa for WH but it is not a visa for working, I mean diffrent category).
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/10 08:08
IF you find a visa category that you MIGHT fall under, you have to prove to immigration that your contracts are sufficient (and reliable) enough to support yourself (i.e. 2-3M/year).

You look like you need to do self sponsorship and AFAIK you cannot do that just as an individual - start by setting up a company.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Work as freelancer at home in Japan 2017/5/10 11:41
with my skills ,can i find a job with 6 hours per day ? i mean with work visa and thank you again

You seem to have incorrect information, procedure is like that in case of work visa.
Find a job(contract) ... Get a COE ... Get a VISA
by ..... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread