Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/2 16:57
This may be a silly questions but I really have to ask as I cannot find this question nor people's similar experiences even though there are certainly people with similar questions.

How do I get to the famous Shibuya Crossing with the Tsutaya and Starbucks and all of those shops from the Tokyo Metro Shibuya Subway station. It seems from my two trips one in 2011 and other in 2012 that I could never find it when I got off of the Shibuya station from the Tokyo metro. When I actually got out, there was this "foodtruck" or stall that sold these pastries that people seem to line up for at the entrance to the station and that when I walk into the Shibuya area, I could still not find the Shibuya Crossing despite me knowing I was so near it.

What I hate about Tokyo Metro is that sometimes it's not near the famous parts of the neighborhood for some of the stations. WIth that being said, it totally reminded me of how I had needed a friend who was familiar with the place to find Akihabara (I mean the "real" Akihabara", that is, its Electric Town with all of the Anime and Maid Cafes. When I had first got off at Akihabara station from Tokyo Metro, it was just sinply boring office buildings. So, I was like "eh" when I had thought this was Akihabara. But when a friend brought me to the real Akihabara, or the part of Akihabara people really want to go to, I was like "OMG WOW!!!!!!!". Also, the entrances and the Electric Town itself was right nest to the JR stations; I guess one has to ride on on JR subways to get near the stations. However, I do actually have certain major frustrations with JR as for starters, I had to have a smartphone with a downloaded PDF of all of the JR subway stations as most of their stations (well maybe except their main ones) don't have english maps and guide. Also from what I had encountered unless I pulled out my JR Rail Pass and the station attendant would let me in, there wasn't really any english options when using the ticket computers, especially when I had needed to use a ticket computer to get to a certain station.

Please help me by letting me and other users (I can imagine there are plenty of other people who have the same issue as I do but too nervous or lazy to ask) how to get to Shibuya Crossing from Tokyo Metro Subway Station. Also if you could, please help me alleviate my concerns of not there having much english guides at JR subway stations, as if you could let me know of if there's computers in english at all stations or if there's some sort of english guide I could download, or if there are stories that you have where you had went to a smaller JR subway station but there were guides and attendants, along with actual signage, that would let you know in english of how to get to your destination. Once again, it seems that I have the most difficulty language wise which is why I would rather ride Tokyo Metro instead as everything's in engish, even though I would if I could ride JR Subway trains as they seem not only more exciting, but their stations are more geared to taking one to the highlight of the destination, such as Electric town of Akihabara, and if so, maybe even Shibuya Crossing itself from JR Shibuya station (if that is at all possible and real, of JR Shibuya station that connects right to the Shibuya Crossing - I hope so as I would be wrong of that). Thank you so much!
by mlbartender  

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/2 18:21
Follow the signs to JR Shibuya station then look for Hachiko exit.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/2 23:59
It a) depends which Tokyo Metro line you are actually taking.

also via JR Yamanote line it's super easy. It's a circle you cannot go in the wrong direction of travel. Get off at Shibuya station, follow signs to Hachiko exit.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/3 00:42
Yes, it is confusing when every subway station has multiple exits. The JR Yamanote line stations have multiple exits too, but both have signs in English to help.

You can download an app in English with maps - go to your phone's app store and search Tokyo Metro.

I bought an IC card which works both the metro and the JR Yamanote line. The machines for purchasing cards and uploading money to them have an English option. This is a rechargeable card that automatically deducts the cost of your trip so you only have to keep track of maintaining a balance. For details: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quedisplay.html?aTYPE=10 has details on purchasing a pocket wifi to keep your phone connected. There is free wifi in the stations, but not between them.
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Say "Hachiko?" 2017/5/3 00:57
I haven't read everything on your original post, but if you want to go to the crossing just go overground at any spot and then ask for Hachiko.

I know that another poster suggested you to follow signs, but Shibuya has changed so much in the recent years that even residents and workers there don't know how to get from one place to another when you're indoors.

But once you are on top of the ground and under the sky, almost anyone (apart from the many tourists) will be able to tell you where Hachiko is. Ask someone in a uniform such as a station staff or a shop clerk. That'll do the trick.

Also keep in mind that Shibuya is a vast area. Don't give up if you end up at the opposite side.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/3 02:43
Is that the shibuya crossing in front of the 109mens and tsutata, I have passed through there, but not sure if that is the crossing.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/3 08:32
Tokyo Metro Shibuya station shares 3 metro lines, Fukutoshin-line(F16), Hanzomon-line(Z01), and Ginza-line(G01).
It depends on which subway line you will use to get to Shibuya Crossing.
BUT, if you are in Tokyo Metro Shibuya station, just go to [EXIT No.4 or 6] is the closest exit to the crossing.
When you find Exit No.4 or 6, go up stair to ground floor, you will see Shibuya crossing in front of you. Just follow the indication sings of [Exit No.4 or 6]. Do not go to any other Exits.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/3 13:01
Is that the shibuya crossing in front of the 109mens and tsutata, I have passed through there, but not sure if that is the crossing.

If that is not a crossing, I don't know what is. It's so-called the "scramble crossing of Shibuya" or the "crossing in front of Hachiko Place". Hachiko the Dog is the most famous statue in Shibuya, and the crossing is known as one of the busiest and largest pedestrian crossings in Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_scramble

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/3 20:37
Look for and follow the Hachiko exit, and yes that is the fabled Shibuya crossing. Go during a busy time and it looks like it does in the movies. The rest of the time, it just looks like a street crossing.
by PsyGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/3 20:52
And it's busy all the time except for the couple of hours way after midnight when no trains or buses are transporting people.

Re: To Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo Metro station 2017/5/3 21:09
It seems like it much smaller in real life, when compared to what i've seen on TV, well at least i've been their.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread