Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/3 04:11
Hi,

I'm going to Japan in June and would appreciate some advice. We are planning to travel from Takayama to an onsen in Okuhida for two nights (Hirayunomori) and thereafter go to Shirakawago (staying 1 night), Kanazawa and ending up in Kyoto.

There is so much information on different buses and trains that I've become really confused. Does anyone have experience of this route? When we are going from the onsen to Shirakawago it seems like we have to go back to Takayama to catch a bus from there, is that correct?

What bus/train pass would be best for this trip?

Thanks in advance!
//Lo
by Lo (guest)  

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/3 10:49
Check this thread for information:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+150331

The pass that I wrote about covers the Matsumoto to Takayama and Shirakawa-go area. The price is steep, but may be worth it if you do the math for the individual bus trips. Here is a link to the English brochure for this pass.

https://www.alpico.co.jp/en/images/home/pdf/wide_alps_free_passport_en...

This pass does NOT cover the trip from Shirakawa-go to Kanazawa. There are two versions, one including the Shin-hotaka ropeway round trip, and one that doesn't.

Here is a link to the Nouhi bus lines. Look for "route bus" not express bus.

https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/

Here is a link to the Alpico bus lines. Read the routes.

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/english/#route_bus

It's a beautiful area! We stayed there and travelled around there in September.

No reservations for these bus trips except for the Takayama - Shirakawa-go trip.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/3 15:58
Hi Dale,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it :) I will check out the pass you mentioned.

Does anyone know if it's possible to go directly to Shirakawago from Hirayunomori onsen, or will I have to go back to Takayama?
by Lo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/3 21:07

Does anyone know if it's possible to go directly to Shirakawago from Hirayunomori onsen, or will I have to go back to Takayama?

No, it is not possible.
There is no route bus nor express bus that links Hirayu and Shirakawago. However, if you drive yourself, il will be possible.
In the first place, going from Hirayu to Shirakawago, making a distant detour in the mountains, is not rational. You will have to decide to go back to Takayama, or you will have to reconsider your route plan. To reach Hirayu, as far as I know, Takayama, Toyama and Matsumoto are the only nearest cities where buses go from. If you first go, for example, to Matsumoto, and then to Hirayu, Takayama, Shirakawago and finally Kanazawa, that is a rational order of visiting, but, who goes first to Takayama, then to Hirayu, and then to Shirakawago?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/3 22:35
Hi, I am a resident in Mino area, the southern part of Gifu.

As a local, I always go to Takayama by car, so may not be able to get you good advice, but as far as I know, the only bus service I know is Nohi Bus, as Dale showed you above.
https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/highwaybus/

Here I do not mean to confuse you even more, but I would suggest you to visit Kamikochi when you stay in Okuhida, but only if you like to hike.
http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/english/

Kamikochi is one of the most beautiful places in Japan I can proudly recommend. It's worth sparing one more day there. If you are into this place, I would suggest the following Ryokan as they give you a shuttle bus service to/from Kamikochi for free. (Usually you have to book and pay for the bus to get into the eco-friendly area of Kamikochi and the fare is not very cheap) Aside from the shuttle bus service, the Ryokan itself is great, you would love the bath, the dinner, and the room for sure. I stayed Hirayu-no-mori too, but it was incomparable, sorry to tell you, but disappointing to our family... Hirayu-no-mori has different kinds of baths, but some of them were empty, with no water at all when we stayed. The food at night was not enough in variety. People around us seemed to fill their stomach with free rice from the jar... a bit of funny though, hahaha. I don't mean to disappoint you or anything, I just hope you to experience what I can recommend proudly as a Japanese (and a Gifu person), and want you bring back home good memories. So, just take a look :)
http://www.japanican.com/en/hotel/detail/5471015/

A bit too early, but
Welcome to Gifu, Japan!

by MK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/4 04:00
In the first place, going from Hirayu to Shirakawago, making a distant detour in the mountains, is not rational. You will have to decide to go back to Takayama, or you will have to reconsider your route plan. To reach Hirayu, as far as I know, Takayama, Toyama and Matsumoto are the only nearest cities where buses go from. If you first go, for example, to Matsumoto, and then to Hirayu, Takayama, Shirakawago and finally Kanazawa, that is a rational order of visiting, but, who goes first to Takayama, then to Hirayu, and then to Shirakawago?
I guess the answer to your question is: Me! I have already booked a hotel in Takayama (we're coming from Tokyo), then 2 nights in Hirayu followed by one night in Shirakawago. Looking at the Nouhibus timetable (thanks Dale!) Hirayu is only an hour from Takayama, so it doesn't seem like such an irrational route. Going from Hirayu to Shirakawago via Takayama should only take around 2 hours. We won't have time to visit Matsumoto this time, I'll save that for next time.

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/4 04:16
Here I do not mean to confuse you even more, but I would suggest you to visit Kamikochi when you stay in Okuhida, but only if you like to hike.
http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/english/

Thank you for this suggestion! It looks amazing, I'll make sure to spend a day there. You're lucky to live in such a beautiful place!

I would suggest the following Ryokan as they give you a shuttle bus service to/from Kamikochi for free. (Usually you have to book and pay for the bus to get into the eco-friendly area of Kamikochi and the fare is not very cheap) Aside from the shuttle bus service, the Ryokan itself is great, you would love the bath, the dinner, and the room for sure. I stayed Hirayu-no-mori too, but it was incomparable, sorry to tell you, but disappointing to our family...

This Ryokan looks great, but we have already booked Hirayunomori... Also it's a lot cheaper, so within our budget. I have heard good things about it so I hope we'll have a better experience than you did.
Anyways, thank you so much for your advice, this is a great forum :)

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/4 04:16
Lo,

Your route has a little bit of backtracking, but it may be unavoidable since you aren't going to Matsumoto. I don't know where you are going after Kyoto (back to Tokyo?), but if so, then I would have done Tokyo to Kanazawa on the new Shinkansen, then Shirakawa-go by bus, then Takayama to Hirayu by bus, then Hirayu back to Kyoto via Takayama. This route also has a little backtracking, but if you are ultimately going to end up in Tokyo after Kyoto, then you get to ride the two different Shinkansen routes.

But I'm just nitpicking. I think you'll have a great time. And MK is correct. Kamikochi is beautiful!

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/4 04:36
Hi Dale,

We're continuing on to Nara and then Osaka, but it still sounds like your suggestion would have involved less travelling! I hope it won't be too bad though, I'm guessing we can see a lot of beautiful scenery from the bus too.
Thanks for all your help!

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/4 14:50
This Ryokan looks great, but we have already booked Hirayunomori... Also it's a lot cheaper, so within our budget. I have heard good things about it so I hope we'll have a better experience than you did.
Anyways, thank you so much for your advice, this is a great forum :)

-I'm sorry I didn't get you any positive comments on Hirayunomori Ryokan. I hope I didn't make your good expectation towards this Onsen somewhat smaller. I should not compare the two, each has its own unique characters and it all depends on how you like to have your stay. I never try to say Hirayunomori was too bad. We liked there too, just more before we stayed the other one.

Glad you have a feeling for Kamikochi too! The bus station to/from Kamikochi is right next to Hirayunomori. You can't miss the bus station with car parking in front.
Here is the timetable.
http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/kamikochi/hirayu/
I'm afraid it is only available in Japanese, but you see the name of the bus stops are indicated in English :) Funny! I hope it helps you get the idea and make your schedule further!
by MK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Takayama - Okuhida - Shirakawago - Kanazawa 2017/5/4 22:25
Not really able to help with the bus routes (sorry), but I second the comment suggesting to go to Kamikochi. Shirakawa-go is one the way to it (e.g. we came from Kanazawa by bus, which had a stopover at Takayama then at Hirayu Onsen), and honestly, I loved Kamikochi more than Shirakawa-go because the Taisho Pond is just absolutely breathtakingly beautiful (the Myojin side is nice too, but more for mini hikes) - and we were there June last year. ;)
by Denise (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread