Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica or JR pass 2017/5/3 04:24
Hi,

I'll be traveling to Japan mid June for three full days.

What is the best way for me to get around Tokyo? I'm planning to go to Shinjuku, Asakusa, Shibuya, Roppongi, Akhihabara, Ginza, and Yokohama.

Would it be better/cheaper for me to get a Suica or JR pass or just purchase individual tickets for each destination?

Also, I am arriving at NRT airport and need to get to my hotel which is in Shinjuku. Is getting a Keisei Skyliner pass better for this trip? or should i just take the JR line?

Please help!
by Anna (guest)  

Re: Suica or JR pass 2017/5/3 09:29
JR Pass won't make up the cost if you are travelling within the Tokyo area, using the suica is more convenience than individual ticket, but if you intend to return the suica after uses, there is a handling charge. For individual tickets, if you know your destination, get the right ticket, if you are not sure about your destination, get the cheapest ticket, and pay the extra at the manning booth.

If you are coming from narita, the skyliner only reaches Ueno, whiles the Narita express can reach Shinjuku depending on the schedule of the narita express, but saying that, the skyliner has a return package with 1-3 days Tokyo metro pass, you can visit their site for more information.

Hope this helps.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica or JR pass 2017/5/3 13:58
Is Suica the same thing as the Tokyo Metro pass?

I'm just looking for a pass/card that will conveniently allow me to go to various cities within Tokyo so I can avoid having to purchase an individual ticket each time. Which is my best option?

Also, I thought the Skyliner would take me to Nippori instead of Ueno? How would i get to Shinjuku from Nippori or Ueno?
by Anna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica or JR pass 2017/5/3 20:33
I can't see how you wouldn't benefit just by convenience in getting a Suica card. The only problem I could see is if you really loaded a lot of funds onto it and they were left on the card. There is a fee to have the balance refunded but the convenience alone is worth it. Otherwise you end up pushing a lot of screen buttons every time you go somewhere, plus all the change you end up carrying around.

I agree you want the Narita Express to go all the way to Shinjuku, you could take local trains but it's a longer ride, and less comfortable.

You would just get on the Yamanote from Ueno to Nippori.

Suica is for JR trains (above ground) PASIMO is for Tokyo Metro (Subway). Both cards however will work on each other, so you can use SUICA on the Metro as well.
by PsyGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suica or JR pass 2017/5/3 20:39
There is a fee to have the balance refunded

Or just get a Pasmo instead.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Suica or JR pass 2017/5/3 21:01
The suica is a value added/prepaid smartcard that allows you to add money, when used, it will deduct the right amount for that journey, it can also be used for vending machines and some shop payments for goods. Unless you intend to keep the card after your trip in Japan, you have to pay a fee for returning the card. As you have mentioned, it's will be more convenience as a prepaid card, you just have to swipe and go, instead of going to the ticket machine for every journey. As PsyGuy has mentioned, I will also agree on this, and it's my recommendation, and the return fee is only a few hundred yen, just keep it and as long as you use it within 10 years from the last use of the card, it will still be activated for your next time visit.

For the skyliner, nippori is one of the station, Ueno is the terminal station, you can get the JR train on the yamonote line to reach shinjuku from either station or use the tokyo subway to reach shinjuku.

The tokyo metro pass can be purchased in 1-3 days unlimited use, but cannot be used on the JR trains, the skyliner single or return ticket can be purchased in a package with the tokyo metro pass, you just have to work out if the day use ticket is worth purchasing and if sold as a package.

I would like to point out that the tokyo metro pass at one time, you can just show it to the cashier at BIC camera or it's sister company softmap and others for a extra 6% discount on top of tax free, not sure if this is still available.

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/value_ticket/subway...

by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Suica or JR pass 2017/5/4 07:13
Anna,

You want a Suica card. It's just a card preloaded with fares, which avoids having to buy individual tickets. Just swipe when you enter the train station and swipe when you leave, and it deducts the fare. The JR Pass is not worth the cost if you're just staying in Tokyo; it's only worthwhile if you're making long distance trips out of Tokyo. It costs approximately 29,000 yen for a 7 day pass; most metro fares are around 200 yen so you'd have to take dozens upon dozens of trips for that to pay off. You can buy the Suica (or Pasmo - they're interchangeable in Tokyo) when you arrive at Narita. Ticket machines on the JR side of the station beneath the terminal will give you a Suica, and machines on the Keisei side will give you a Pasmo.

As for getting to Shinjuku, Narita Express is your easiest option, as it goes straight to Shinjuku from Narita without having to change trains. Keisei Skyliner will get you there faster and cheaper but requires a change to the Yamanote Line at Nippori station. If you're traveling light, go with Keisei. If you have a larger suitcase, go with Narita Express since it doesn't require transferring to a local train, potentially during rush hour.
by JustinDK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread