Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Non-native biliningual English teacher 2017/5/4 07:23
I am a non-native English teacher from the EU and would like to spend a year or two teaching in Japan. I am fully bilingual - I started speaking English before I was four years old so there is virtually no difference between my proficiency and that of a native speaker (I speak with a British accent). However, I understand that since my passport is not from an English-speaking country I will be in an unfavourable position when it comes to finding work. Is a TEFL certificate even worth pursuing? They forewarn applicants that their non-English status is a liability. My situation is unique and I would like to hear about experiences of those who managed to find work despite being non-native speakers.
by Cassie (guest)  

Re: Non-native biliningual English teacher 2017/5/4 10:22
There are four French and two German working as ALT as at July 2016.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Non-native biliningual English teacher 2017/5/5 01:42
I, too, know some non native ALT, including me from Asia (lol).
TEFL/TESOL/CELTA may help you, not dispensable though.
http://ishijls.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-561.html
by gaijin sensei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-native biliningual English teacher 2017/5/5 07:13
You situation isn't unique and comes up all the time. I have read multiple times from others in your same situation that yes your non-English background does look unfavourable at first glance. But once they confirm your English is on par is regular English bachground teachers, you'd be fine.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-native biliningual English teacher 2017/5/7 00:22
I agree your situation isn't unique, I know a number of French teachers who are employed as English teachers.

I doubt it's worth it, basically in the cases where it matters a TESOL certificate means about a 10,000Y difference in monthly salary when you can find it. As soon as someone interviews you, they will know if your English is good enough.
by PsyGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-native biliningual English teacher 2017/5/8 00:40
TESOL is a qualification for teaching, NOT to measure English level.
It may helps to get a position especially for not native, but it is not always required.
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-native biliningual English teacher 2017/5/8 00:50
TESOL or TEFL are often reccomended for no-native candidate and those who have teaching experience but no degree.
Not many employers know about CELTA.
By the way, I am working for a company, which dispacth ALT to schools.

*PsyGuy, don't blame on the others, you are a troller otherwise, thank you.
by BCUP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Non-native biliningual English teacher 2017/5/8 03:53
Hello,

I'm German and I used to work as an English teacher in Japan for 7 years.
It's not that you cannot find a job, but the visa requirements state that you have to be educated in English for at least 12 years etc. (instructor visa).

In order to avoid visa application issues, a lot of schools look for people from countries where English is an official language.

If you bring your own work visa, e.g. the working holiday visa or a spouse visa, then finding a teaching job as non-native is not impossible as long as your skills are good enough.

I did hire in Japan and we never just ignored someone because they were not a native speaker. :)

It's a complicated topic.

Good luck! :)
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread