Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/5 10:37
Hello everyone!

I'll be flying into Fukuoka first thing Monday morning and flying out late Friday night (5pm). I'm planning to stay the first and last night in Fukuoka so it will be easier to go to/from the airport. That leaves two more nights that I'm unsure of where to stay.

I was thinking of visiting the following places:
- Fukuoka - Kitakyushu - Beppu - Yufuin - Mounta Aso - Kumamoto - Fukuoka

Do you think it will be enough time for me to visit all the places? Which town(s) should I stay the night?
Also, do you think it's possible for me to do half train/half car rental? I'm wondering if places allow for rental from one city to return to another.

Thank you!
by rng88  

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/5 18:43
You wont be able to see all those locations in 3 days, 2 nights.

I would pick either Beppu or Yufuin to stay at for 2 nights. And day trip to the other for a visit.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/5 20:53
Another person who seems to want to sprint around while on holiday. @Hakata14 is right, you need to plan on doing about half of this. & decide if you want to visit Yufuin or Kumamoto.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/6 02:18
Thanks for the suggestion! My family and I do not plan to use all the onsens so I'm thinking maybe there's no need to spend 2 days in the Beppu/Yufuin area. Aside from Onsens, what are some places that you recommend us visit for day trips from Beppu/Yufuin or from Fukuoka?

I definitely do not want to sprint around so I'd be happy to take suggestions =) I will be traveling in a group of 6 adults. Thanks!
by rng88 rate this post as useful

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/6 04:12
No problem, it's just that people often try to pack too much in. The answer to your question is really down to what you feel you really must see and planning round that. I would suggest that you pick two cities & split your time between them. When are you going?
I spent three weeks in Kyushu in March/April this year. I visited Fukuoka, Nagasaki & Kagoshima but have not been to either Beppu or Yufuin so I cant talk about them. Personally I loved Kagoshima & will definitely return. You could stop at Kumamoto on the way & store your luggage in station lockers if you wanted. Or base yourself in Kumamoto with the option of a day in Kagoshima if the mood took you. Day trips from Fukuoka.Nagasaki is a fantastic place to visit. There is a lot there not related to the bomb, Glover garden & Dejima amongst others.
I really enjoyed Yoshinogari Archeological Park but that just says something about my interests.
Dazaifu is really good too & there is a great museum there.
I was in Fukuoka during the cherry blossom this year & had a great last day at Uminonakamichi seaside park.

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/6 04:16
You can definitely do part car/part train.
Hiring and returning in same prefecture should be easy and not incur drop off fees.
If you like toilets, stay a day in Kokura and do the castle and the Toto toilet museum and then enjoy some local food for dinner.
Beppu is fun but cheesy.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/6 05:15
Thanks for the suggestions Stan! I was told that Kumamoto might be still affected by the earth quake from late last year, so perhaps not the best place to visit.

I will flying in on May 29th. Did you travel by train mostly or did you rent a car?

For the Museums do they have English translations for the exhibits?

What did you do in Kagoshima? I didn't even thought about going there since it's so far down south.
by rng88 rate this post as useful

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/6 08:34
How about if you base yourself at Fukuoka, then take day trips from there with a Kyushu 5 day pass? Then you wouldn't have to worry about car rental/stuck in traffic, moving hotels every day.

e.g.
Day 1: Arrive at Fukuoka, can go to Dazaifu if you want
Day 2: Day trip to Kumamoto (1 hr Shinkansen each way) or Kagoshima (1.5 hr)
Day 3: Day trip to Nagasaki (2 hrs)
Day 4: Day trip to Beppu (2 hrs)
Day 5: Day trip to Kitakyushu (1/2 hr). Depart from Fukuoka

Kind of rushed, but if that's your preference, then go for it.
by AT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/6 17:23
Aside from Onsens, what are some places that you recommend us visit for day trips from Beppu/Yufuin or from Fukuoka?

I definitely do not want to sprint around so I'd be happy to take suggestions =) I will be traveling in a group of 6 adults. Thanks!

I'd ask the group of 6 traveling these questions. You have shared no info on your likes and dislikes. Google the places. Go through this website. Find the things "YOU 6" want to do.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 4N/5D trip idea for Fukuoka and area 2017/5/7 03:02
I should just have a macro that says @Hakata14 is right :) This should be a group decision. Kumamoto is up & welcoming visitors. In fact this is a really good time to visit. Your money will help local businesses recover from the quake. I would give serious consideration to visiting. The train is always the best choice in Japan unless you are going somewhere way off the beaten track. Another user has mentioned the Kyushu 5 day rail pass which would fit you well. The number & quality of museum English translations varies widely so it is worth checking before you visit.
Regarding Kagoshima, I was travelling with my bicycle & the ride to Nishi-Oyama station & Lake Ikeda via the Chiran museum for kamikaze pilots was the main purpose of my visit. I knew that Kyushu was the center of the Meiji restoration but there was much more in Kagoshima than I expected & didnt have time to visit. I only had two full days there and one of those was the bike ride. On the other day I visited:
Mount Shiroyama for the view of Sakurajima (which erupted while I was there!!)
Sengan-en garden
Dolphin Port & waterfront park (Lunch with views of the harbour & Sakurajima)

reply to this thread