Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/5 18:47
Dear All,

I am from Hong Kong and my boyfriend is from Japan. We are about to register marriage in Miyazaki city ​​hall but we don't have budget to employ a translator / agent to help translate my Birth Certificate & Certificate of Absence of Marriage Record ( equivalent of 結婚要件具備証明書 / Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage ) issued by Hong Kong Government into Japanese.

I read online that there are translation samples in Japanese obtainable from city halls but my boyfriend was told there were no such samples. My boyfriend's English level is probably upper intermediate and he would like to translate them himself. And I don't know much Japanese. Would anyone please kindly give me some advice?

Your kind help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.
by Utopia25  

Re: Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/6 09:34
As far as I know, the translation can be done by your boyfriend and it doesn't have to be done by a certified translator, so he can do it by himself.

What the city halls have is probably not translation samples of foreign certificates but samples of foreign certificates so that they can compare the document you bring in against to check the format and to make sure it is genuine.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/6 09:46
Birth certificate can be translated by yourself or your boyfriend. It don't need to be professionally translated. The city hall have a list of Birth Cert from different countries for reference.
Just make simple Japanese translation based on your birth cert.

As for your 'Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage', can't you get it done at your HK Embassy in Japan. They should be able to do it for a reasonable fees.

That how I did it before, my wife and I did my birth cert translation, and just print it out on A4 size paper.
As for 'Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage', we just get it done and translated at my embassy.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/6 19:34
Thank you both very much!

Actually my boyfriend and I knew each other at this website before we met up. I am very thankful about this site. And he said he understood both my certificates so maybe we could try to translate them together if the accuracy requirement of the city hall is not that high.

Thank you again!
by Utopia25 rate this post as useful

Re: Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/7 00:07
I would just have Google Translate do the translation and then print it out.
by PsyGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/7 14:04
I believe city halls require that the translator's name be provided on the translation (be it your boyfriend or a professional).

While I admit Google Translate is useful at times when you want to get the gist of some text written in a language you don't understand (from English to Japanese in particular), I would not recommend it for any official document.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/11 01:17
Dear All,

We have drafted a translation for the above-said documents. I know it doesn't have to be professional but we hope we could improve it a little bit to make sure it will be accepted by the government so we would like to post it here. Anybody who could point out any mistakes and / or suggest a better Japanese translation will be more than welcome. I am so sorry if this is too long and troublesome to read -

[ PART I : 結婚要件具備証明書 / Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage ]

Marriage registry, Hong Kong
婚姻登記所

Marriage ordinance
婚姻条例

Marriage reform ordinance (Cap.178)
婚姻改革条例( 第178章 )

I HEREBY CERTIFY that I have caused a search to be made of all records maintained under the above Ordinance, and that between period from …… to………. there is no record of a marriage (see NOTE) having taken place between …… ( Name of the Hong Kong wife ) ….... (holding HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION PASSPORT NO. XXXXXX ) and any other person.

私は上記の条例のもと維持されているすべての記録を検索済ましたようにし、そして____年__月__日から_____年__月__日までの間に ____( 香港妻の姓名 )____ (持っている香港特別行政区旅券番号No. XXXXXX )と他の人の間に結婚(注記参照)が行われた記録がないことをこれによって証明します。

Date of issue of certificate
証明書発行日

Deputy Registrar of Marriages
                             副婚姻登記官

NOTE
注釈
This certificate covers;
この証明書以下を補う
marriages registered under the Marriage Ordinance, which applies to all marriages in Hong Kong except non-Christian customary marriages duly celebrated according to the personal law and religion of the parties;
婚姻条例の下記録された婚姻、ただしそれは当事者の伝統的な風習や宗教に応じて結婚式正式に行われた非キリスト教の慣例婚を除く香港で提出されたすべてに適応する。
non-Christian customary marriage duly celebrated according to the personal law and religion of the parties and post-registered under the Marriage Reform Ordinance.
当事者の伝統的な風習や宗教に応じて結婚式正式に行われ、婚姻改革条例の下事後登録される非キリスト教の慣例婚。

The certificate does not cover non-Christian customary marriages which the parties have not post-registered under the Marriage Reform Ordinance.
証明書は当事者が結婚式後に婚姻改革条例の下登録したことがない非キリスト教の慣習的な婚姻は含まれない。

Audit Number
監査番号

[ PART II : Birth Certificate ]

BIRTHS AND DEATHS REGISTRY, HONG KONG
香港生死登記所

CERTIFIED COPY OF AN ENTRY IN A REGISTER OF BIRTHS
KEPT IN TERMS OF THE BIRTHS AND DEATHS REGISTRATION ORDINANCE
出生・死亡登録条例で保持した出生届登録書中の登録事項の認証された謄本

(1) Registration no.
登録番号

(2) When and where born
出生時間と場所
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
クイーンエリザベス病院
XXXX年XX月XX日

(3) Name, if any 名前(ある場合)

(4) Sex 性別
Female 女性

(5) Surname and name of father
父親の姓名

(6) Maiden surname and name of mother
母親の婚前の姓名

(7) Signature, description and residence of informant
届出人の署名、説明、住所
Father 父 署名 ( 姓名 )
Mother 母 署名 ( 姓名 )

住所 (香港 - is it true that we need not translate full address in Hong Kong for Japanese government? It seems the address system is different so I have no idea how to translate my HK address into Japanese )

(8) When registered
登録日付

(9) Signature of register
登録官の署名
Signature 署名 ( Name 姓名 )
District Registrar
地区登録官

(10) Name if added after registration of birth
出生登録後名前を付け加える

(11) Status of permanent residence of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region under the Immigration Ordinance (Cap. 115) ( Established / Not established )
移民法(第115章) による香港特別行政区の永住権の在留資格 (制定/未制定)

Established ( paragraph 2(a) of Schedule 1 to Immigration Ordinance, Cap. 115 )
制定(移民法章115の附属1の段落2(a))

CERTIFIED to be a true copy of an entry in the register of births in Hong Kong this 11th August 1982
これは1982年8月11日に香港で出生登録に登録された本物の謄本を証明する。

a register of births & deaths
生死登録官

CAUTION−Any person who(1)falsifies any of particulars on this certificate, or (2)uses falsified certificate as true, knowing it to be false, is liable to prosecution
注意−(1)この証明書に記載されている事項のいずれかを偽造した者もしくは(2)虚偽されたと知って本物として偽造の証明書を使用した者は起訴される責任を負う。

Millions thanks to anyone who read this till the end..!

Re: Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/24 11:27
Dear all,
Our marriage registration was done smoothly yesterday. Thank you so much again for all your advices and kind help! 😉

Re: Document for Marriage Registration 2017/5/24 13:40
恭喜恭喜
Glad to know it was smoothly done.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread