Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/8 10:31
I am living in Japan for last 23 years.
I am visiting my country every year for 2-3 weeks.
I used to get my international Driving Permit (IDP) from my country some times, when I visit there.

Recently, I was caught by police on a charge that I did not stop at Stop Sign.
I showed my IDP but they said it is not valid. I was really shoked and wonder.
What is this 3-month rule ? when it came into force ? do foreigners come to know about this and how ?
Police said I may be chaged with no-license drive.

How to get out of this without fines??
any reply is helpful.

Thanks
Sharma
by Sharma Duggirala (guest)  

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/8 13:03
There is a rule that you can drive with an IDP (issued less than one year ago) for one year after you've "landed" in Japan.

And the 3-month rule says:

If a resident registered on the basic resident register of Japan (for example foreigners who are living in Japan on medium- to long-term period), leaves Japan with a permit to re-enter, obtains a new IDP during a stay overseas less than 3 months, and lands in Japan again, you cannot drive with that in Japan.

This is because the IDP is valid from your original landing date, not since your last landing on re-entry permit.

http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/menkyo/menkyo/kokugai/kokusaimenky...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/8 13:08
This came into effect back in 2002.

http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/1/azabu/kotu/kotu5.htm

This is the English translation of the first link I provided:

http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/multilingual/english/traffic_safet...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/8 22:03
How to get out of this without fines??

Whether you will get a fine or not is for the police/courts to decide and is out of your control. The best thing you can do is hire a good lawyer.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/8 22:25
The law is really fuzzy, but in principle, if you are normally a resident in Japan, you cannot use an international driver's permit at all.

You were driving without a license, and therefore without insurance. If you're lucky, you only get a fine. If you're unlucky, arrest or deportation are also possible.

US Embassy has this page
https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-c...
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/9 00:12
Why not just get a Japanese driver's license?
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/9 01:19
Actually the loop hole in the IDP usage was fixed years ago precisely for the reason that foreigners like you, who stay 20+ Years in Japan but take advantage of rule that is for temporary drivers to drive in Japan for short time

I lived 5 years in Japan and was well aware of this rule, applied to Japanese drivers license, failed 3 time but finally got it

Own up to your actions, apologize and pay fine. Please don't try to look for a loop hole this time to avoid paying fine, it may have wider consequences.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/9 07:10
The law is really fuzzy, but in principle, if you are normally a resident in Japan, you cannot use an international driver's permit at all.
Dainichi Heater, above statement is incorrect. As pointed out by AK, IDP can be used by resident of Japan as long as condition are met.
Only valid 1 year frm date of entry into Japan and subsequent usage require you remain at least 3 month in IDP issued country before you can use it again in Japan.

To OP, tough luck. If you were newer resident the police may let you of with a warning but since you been in Japan for over 20yrs dont think playing the ignorance card will get you off. Just pay the fine and get yourself a proper Japanese License.
by @-@ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/9 07:55
@@-@

In principle, you are right. In practice, it seems not to be so clear cut.
Australian and UK embassy's clearly state you can only use an IDP for 1 year from the point of first entry, and they both say that if you are a resident, you should not use IDP at all and change ASAP. US Embassy is more vague, but essentially the same story. I'm pretty sure these Embassies have had their fair share of discussions with Japanese legal services about this, and have formulated their advice accordingly. They do talk about implementation of the law being uneven across the country. It seems OP has run into a situation where this "unevenness" has manifest itself.

IDP is not a long-term solution - especially for someone who has been here over 20 years. In my experience, Japanese people don't like those who try to find workarounds to the rules. OP, accept the fine, get your Japanese drivers license, and don't be so dumb in the future.

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/9 07:57
Actually, just re-read OP.
He was only in his own country for 2 - 3 weeks. So, he definitely broke the law.

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/9 08:11
A small piece which might be useful. When recently researching this and consulting with the authorities about getting a license for Japan the information given was you cannot use an IDP for more than one year, even if you get it renewed/reissued (and I don't know the legislation reference). They had some other odd requirements for documentation as well.

So, my last IDP expired last month, my new one arrives in a few days, but it will be illegal for be to drive with it in Japan (even though it is valid around the rest of the world). I simply need to get a local license and cannot legally drive again in Japan until that is done.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: IDP: 3-month rule? what is it? 2017/5/9 09:11
that rule was introduced probably because many persons who were disqualified by violations took new driving licenses by going abroad.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread