Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 days Osaka Tokyo 2017/5/10 08:49
Hi,
I will have 2 weeks coming this third week of September. We will arrive at Kanzai airport.
Our rough itinerary is we plan to spend,
4 nights at Osaka where we will cover Kobe, Nara, Himeji castle..
3 nights at Kyoto , covering the area of interests
2 nights at Kanagawa, do day trip to Shirakawago
1 night at Matsumoto
4 nights at Tokyo, will do day trip to Mount Fuji

Is the sequence doable?
Is it advisable to purchase 14 days Jr pass?
Thank you.
by Munchie67  

Re: 14 days Osaka Tokyo 2017/5/10 10:45
A 14 day pass will not pay itself off. Single tickets would be best if using the trains.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Osaka Tokyo 2017/5/10 11:07
Agree that a 14 day JR pass (46390 yen) might not be suitable. However, if you plan your trip well, you can consider a combination of passes. e.g. JR Kansai Area Pass (4 days, 6300 yen) allows you to use the Limited Express Haruka and JR trains to Himeji, Kyoto, Nara - but you cannot take limited express trains or shinkansen. Hokuriku Arch Pass (7 days, 24000 yen) allows you to go to Kanazawa and use the Hokuriku Shinkansen - but doesn't allow you to go to Matsumoto or Shirakawago. On the other hand, a 7 day JR pass costs 29110 yen and if you can schedule your long distance travels within the 7 days, it might pay off, but you will need to do the math.
by AT (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Osaka Tokyo 2017/5/10 15:57
Thank you very much for your help. I will recalculate my routes to see which is more viable.
by Munchie67 rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Osaka Tokyo 2017/6/9 14:13
Hi, I need some advice. I have finalize my trip to Japan. Need advice again if purchasing Jr pass is better.

19th to 22th Sept Osaka
22th to 25th Sept Kyoto
25th to 27th Sept Kanazawa
27th to 28th Sept Matsumoto
28th to 30th Sept fujikawaguchiko
30th to 4th Oct Tokyo

Would like to know is the logistic doable and is purchasing Jr pass more economical?
Thank you.
by Munchie67 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days Osaka Tokyo 2017/6/15 18:10
Your trip seems quite doable with regards to travel time and length of stay. As for the Japan Rail Pass. Well, if you buy a regular ticket from Osaka to Kyoto and then start using a 7-day pass from then onwards, the pass might be worth it for you.
Letfs hyperdia this:

Kyoto-Kanazawa: 4.000
Kanazawa-Matsumoto: 5.000
Matsumoto-Kawaguchiko is not fully covered by JPR, only up to Otsuki. 2.500
Otsuki-Tokyo: 1.500

Total of this: 13.000
JPR 7-day: 29.000

So, these are very rough calculations and there are some daytrips youfre planning on doing as well, but as the difference is so much Ifd say, no, not worth it. For the nationwide pass, in any case. There are other passes, though, which you could look into.
by Ronda (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread