Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/11 01:32
Hi guys!
While I was searching the internet for something, I came across an article about ways of saying I in Japanese(and uchi was there yeah).
I of course know uchi from before but I thought to me uchi sounds cuter so can I use it? what does it feels like if you heard a girl referring to herself using uchi? I mean, when girls refer to themselves using their names, it sounds like... wait! I forgot, but yeah, it's something not really good!!!! so does uchi sounds something like that(
By the way, I think girls who refers to themselves using their own name is cute but a bit so much childish!.
Thank you so much in advanced!
by Chokohime  

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/11 14:15
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pronouns
"Uchi" can be used, but the general is only in Kansai area as famous dialect,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect
it is not used in the whole of Japan as "一人称(ich-nin-syou)".
However, any Japanese knows it, and even if a foreign girl/woman uses it, no one no care.
Basically among Japanese "Uchi" has no element of saying "cute".
If so most girl/woman uses it whole of Japan long years, but did not happen.

And, about "using their own name is cute but a bit so much childish!" is mostly agree,
but we think main reason is quite different(most Japanese dislike) as Japanese.
In most cases, it strongly impresses a "selfish woman".

It is also disliked that Japanese use higher-ranking honorific for handle names.
(ex -sama/Mr. Mrs, -ou/king, -syougun/general, -hakase/Dr. -daijin/minister)
If a foreigner does the same thing, no one cares, but it is only suspected as "2nd year of junior high(14 yd) sickness".
(Maybe you may have heard/seen the word "中ニ病:chuuni-byou". )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_anime_and_manga
Your handle name "Choco-hime" is also same.
We(Japanese) know in many countries making yourself look bigger is not special,
but in Japan that has incorporated a lot of Buddhism moral ideas it is hard to accept.
by Magane (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/11 18:40
To me, using "uchi" to refer to oneself is something I hear only from Kansai (Kyoto in particular) women. So if it doesn't come as part of natural Kyoto accent/speech/demeanor, I would find somewhat out of place. (I am a Japanese from the Tokyo area, and I have lived in the Kansai region for several years too.) I might even ask "um, just to be sure, when you say uchi, do you mean, you?" :)

Girls using their first names to refer to themselves... definitely sound childish (I mean, real children do it :)).

Just my personal view.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/11 20:37
Um, yeah!! haha
Ok, I understood but there is this "Foreigner" YouTuber who speaks Japanese in all of her videos, she refers to herself sometimes using uchi. I thought it was fine to use. Thank you so much for answering my question!!
by Chokohime rate this post as useful

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/11 22:21
what does it feels like if you heard a girl referring to herself using uchi?

Unless it's part of her traditional dialect (such as Kyoto dialect), I'd assume that she's a low-teen talking to friends her age or her family.

I mean, when girls refer to themselves using their names, it sounds like... wait! I forgot, but yeah, it's something not really good!!!! so does uchi sounds something like that(

To me, yes. Some people who haven't been around low-teens simply may be puzzled if you use "uchi", though. They'd simply think, "Why uchi?"
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/12 13:19
Thank you so much!
Ok, I got it, I won't use uchi, watashi is good right haha!!
And yeah, I want to make sure. When you use "Uchi no tomodachi" or "Uchi no mama" etc, is it the "I" "Uchi" or the inner circle "uchi"(
(I mean "Soto" and "Uchi" thing)
Thank you again everyone and have a good and happy day!

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/12 17:03
When you use "Uchi no tomodachi" or "Uchi no mama" etc, is it the "I" "Uchi" or the inner circle "uchi"((I mean "Soto" and "Uchi" thing)

I'm not sure what you mean, but "uchi" also means "our household". So for example, if you say "uchi no inu" that can mean "our family dog" that you and your parents and your siblings share.

On the other hand, I don't think that "uchi no tomodachi" can mean anything else than "my friend", because friends don't belong to your household. So this "uchi" is clearly "I". If you want to say "our friend", you have to say "uchi-ra no tomodachi" (which is basically as childish as saying "uchi") or "watashitachi no tomodachi".

If you want to say "a friend of our whole family" you say "kazoku-gurumi de tsukiatteiru tomodachi" or "kazoku minna no tomodachi" etc.

If you say "uchi no haha" that can mean "the mother of our household", so this "uchi" is not necessarily "I". By the way, you can also say "uchi no haha" to describe a mother you don't currently live with, and you can be an only-child and this "uchi" still won't mean "I".

But calling your mother "mama" to a non-family person is another childish expression.

Hope it helps.

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/12 21:41
What an unexpected remark foreign learners of Japanese do make!
Your remark points out, consciously or unconsciously for you, I don't know, that the "uchi" in "uchi no mama"(our/my mom), "uchi no kaisya"(our company), "uchi no gakko"(our school), and the "uchi" which indicates the female speaker herself in the first person in the Kansai region dialect, has the same etymological origin. I appreciate your startling question.
I confess that "uchi" used by Kansai region ladies (young or old), if it is used in a right intonation and a right use of words, sounds cute and charming, for me who are from Tokyo, judged in the ancient time a barbarian region.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/12 23:09
うちの会社、うちの学校, うちの家内, etc. are standard usages, not dialog.
うち(uchi) means "my side", not mean "house".
うちの家内 is a wife of my side, equal to my wife.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/12 23:20
Just to clarify, "household" and "house" are totally different from each other.

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/13 00:05
uchi has another meaning of 家.

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/13 00:27
When you use "Uchi no tomodachi" or "Uchi no mama" etc, is it the "I" "Uchi" or the inner circle "uchi"
(I mean "Soto" and "Uchi" thing)

"Uchi no tomodachi", probably "I"
"Uchi no mama", that could be both, "I" and the inner circle "uchi"

as already shown in my post, うちの家内.etc. is the inner circle "uchi".
also うちの家内 is the expression of a wife from a husband. man use ”uchi".

uchi (I), another uchi(inner circle), and uchi(house) are differently pronounced. those are distinguishable.

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/13 02:01
Thank you very much for explaining everyone!
I felt that I'm stupid while I was reading the answers ahaha
Thank you for wasting your time to answer my weird questions!

Re: Using Uchi to refer to myself 2017/5/17 21:23
I find this on the Internet, so i do not know what how accurate it is

内 (uchi): You might hear this one if you ever find yourself in Osaka or Kyoto, because it's often used in the Kansai dialect. Even then though, it's much more favored by women than men. If you're familiar with "Ore Monogatari" or "My Love Story" in English, the adorable Yamato likes to use this pronoun, although that story takes place in Tokyo if I recall correctly
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread