Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

a question about raw fish 2017/5/13 04:03
I really like Sushi and Sashimi, but after seeing movies about how dangerous fish can be. I wonder is it ok to ask if fish were prior frozen, or is it like really insulting? Or do they not freeze it in Japan anyway?
by Kenshiro (guest)  

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/13 15:29
I dont know whether it is OK to ask, but most of the bigger fish at least (eg Tuna, salmon) are frozen on the ship. You can get some fish that is very fresh - I had some rock cod that was still wriggling on the plate (yes I felt awful looking at him but it tasted awesome) and firefly squid is pretty nice served that way as well. I'vre also seen fugu and eel prepared while they are alive, or at least they started that way.

I think whether it tastes OK after having been frozen depends on the fish, and whether it is fresh or had been frozen probably depends on where you are in proximity to where it was caught.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/13 18:32
I wonder is it ok to ask if fish were prior frozen, or is it like really insulting?

Yes, it is really insulting. (Also there's a good chance that your waiter has no idea.)

When you buy "sashimi-grade" fish at the fish market (or at the supermarket) it means that it's been inspected for parasites (and for quality in general). If you're worried about the safety of eating raw fish in Japan, then just don't eat it.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/13 20:07
No, it's not insulting. It's proper awareness, and it's more about the way you ask it.

For example, it's normal to ask almost anything at a market. But as it is with any kind of question, it goes down better if you ask it with a smile. It's also better to ask, "Was this defrosted or raw? (kore, kaitou desuka? Nama desuka?)" rather than to just say "Was this defrosted?" The former sounds like you're seeking information while the latter sounds like an assumption.

In fact, both frozen and not frozen have good sides and bad sides. The former is seems sanitary, while the latter seems authentic.

Packed fish sold at supermarkets are usually labeled ‰ð“€ (defrosted) or ¶ (never frozen). It's also labeled —{B (farmed) or “V‘R (wild). If it isn't labeled, you can ask a clerk to go ask for details to the people in the kitchen. By the way, a great amount of local salmon is commonly sold fresh. Local tuna (maguro) such as those little ones they catch in Miura are usually fresh. I've even seen swordfish (mekajiki) sold fresh at a supermarket, although that was a rare occasion.

At a restaurant where you're supposed to pay full trust to the chef, it's a bit more tricky. You can say things like, "I heard it's better to freeze fish to avoid food poisoning. Is that right?" or "Wow, this tastes good. I can't believe they were frozen." to see if the answer is a yes or no.

But I'm curious. Are you looking for fish that was frozen or not? If you have germs and parasites in mind, I'm afraid that freezing won't necessarily kill them all. It's more about how you prepare them, because especially parasites are often obvious (viewable). Authentic chefs tend to prepare them properly, and at home you can wear your glasses under the light to take a good look. Frankly, it's best to heat food during summer. At least, it was reported so in NHK seven o'clock news tonight while showing a couple of NHK workers who suffered food poisoning and had to have parasites taken out at the hospital.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/13 21:37
Thank you very much for your replies. Yes im only worried about parasites, like tapeworm.
I heard salmon for example is very risky, i thought that also worm eggs for example might be too tiny to see, but im not an expert.

Yes i hopped freezing would kill it, but well i guess i have to stick with tuna.
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

To be precise 2017/5/13 23:02
They were just doing a special on Takeshi's news show now, and as I looked back at the NHK news article, for example, you can freeze fish in minus 20 degrees Celsius for 24 hours to kill to kill Anisakis. I suppose the problem is that not all freezers are set under 20. For example, a typical freezer for home use seems to be usually set at -18.

well i guess i have to stick with tuna.

Keep in mind that, while most tuna eaten at home are hon-maguro that is farmed and safe from the typical parasites, some are wild ones that may carry Anisakis.

If I were you, though, I would simply try to buy from authentic stores or dine at authentic sushi bars, especially because they taste better. Meanwhile, if I really want to eat whatever fish it is, I would just risk it, because after all, all you need to do is to lie on a hospital bed for a few hours and everything will be back to normal.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20170513/k10010980371000.html
http://0822kiseki.com/2015/04/13/post-4018/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/14 00:09
Thanks, i did not know i thought all tuna were safe . Anyhow i guess you are right, i just love Sushi too much to not eat it. L

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/17 18:58
I had an esophagus endoscopy today, and the doc found and extracted an Anisakis. `Fast-food` sushi conveyor belt chains will only serve fish that was properly frozen, but I also eat at a small one-man restaurant that serves raw fish that was caught by his son. My last meal there was three days ago - consuming raw buri (or maybe it was hamachi). Given that the Anisakis only lives in the human stomach for a few days, I strongly suspect this source. And I would generalize to any small non-chain restaurant, as being a possible risk.

BTW, I did see the recent TV program on Anisakis and looked at those slices, but didn`t see any evidence of them. The slices were relatively thick – maybe 8mm, so maybe I just didn`t look good enough, and maybe it was within the slice.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/17 23:21
I always thought the conveyor belt is not real good Sushi, i got especially dubious after reading how a japanese advised as health to wash your mouth with the tea they usually serve (i thought it was a wink how bad the tea it was, maybe it was genuine tip)I never been to a conveyor belt in Japan, so my suspicion could be completly wrong.

To be honest i know not that much about Sushi/Sashimi but i really do love the taste.

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/18 06:10
IMO, large chain conveyor belt sushi is fast food - much like McD, etc., and it is big business. Hence safe, since they stand to lose so much plus have the organisation to put in place appropriate management practices. The smaller the chain, on down to mom-pop, the less resource goes into safety management, hence the consumer risk is greater. I do love small sushi shops, but also acknowledge the risk. When out for fast food, the large chains deliver consistent quality at low prices and within minutes - a demand for speed that would offend the owner of a small shop.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/18 12:25
Drinking hot tea in sushi is not for disinfect, also not medicine.
That makes just a different next sush taste exactly.
(it is the same as drinking a water during the drinking comparison/tasting of wine)

For Sushi and Sashimi and,
"Wasabi" and "Gari/syoga : Ginger" has high antibacterial effective.
But worst Anisakis is more stronger than above also acid of gastric juice.

Seems misunderstanding that you are gargling with tea.
But this is also not to disinfect, just protecting the throat from bad viras such as influenza
especially low humidity dry air season Winter and after crowd places joined anytime.
You may already know "why many Japanese wearing a flu mask?" if not sick/caught cold.
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/zzcj/imgs/6/b/6b4a60ac.jpg
by Neris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/18 20:07
My english is not so good, so i express myself not very good.
Anyhow yes what you mention with gargling was what i read, i thought it was a hint that the tea is not good.
He did not mention tea at conveyor belt Sushi, but he talked about the powder tea i often see at conveyor belt Sushi Restaurants on Tv. So i thought that was one more sign that the Sushi is not so good.

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/20 00:48
Some fish can be frozen and some not without affecting texture and quality of meat. Red meat fish such as tuna is IQF super fast on the ship to preserve freshness and flown to Japan. If you go to Tsukiji auction, you see all frozen. They are prized for tens to hundreds of thousand $$$, so of course they know what they are doing. White meat fish tend to become soggy due to ice crystal melting in the meat. Lobster and alike may be shipped live in a so called lobster condo. comfortably. Any stress to them affects the meat shrinkage and quality. It all depends on species but why do you worry?
What I worry is worms in some, if not careful. Not all can be eaten raw. Those tend to have worms have been studied, i.e. shell fish(shrimp, etc.), salmon, etc. but still Japanese sushi lovers tend to have higher incidents.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: a question about raw fish 2017/5/20 03:49
Salmon ofc comes most to my mind. Anyhow i guess life is too short to worry.

reply to this thread