Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/17 21:41
Hello Experts There,

I would need some advise on the following situation...

I am working for an multi-national company say XYZ company and my current contract is expiring on 31-May and I have to leave the job and I have agreed for the same. I am on ENGINEER work permit and it is valid through next year...

I recently got a job offer from a company say ABC Company, they are an overseas company and currently in the process of registering as ABC Japan KK. They issued me an Offer letter and told me that they can issue employment contract only after their Japan KK registration is completed.

Based on the information from the ABC company it may take another 2 months for Japan KK registration, assuming they are registered by 31-Jul and can issue an employment contract on 31-Jul. I can start working with them from 1-Aug.

I have to notify Immigration office by 14-Jul stating that I have left job from XYZ company and again notify Immigration office by 15-Aug that I have joined a new company: Is my understanding correct?

Also, in first place will be able to accept an offer from non Japan KK company?

For the 2 months period (1-Jun to 31-Jul) since I have no job, I wanted to travel to my country and spend the 2 months time there. Am I able to go back to my country during the process of job change?

If I go to my country will I be able to enter Japan with the same Residence card?

Kindly advise me on my situation! Looking forward for your suggestions...

PS: I am also planning to stop by Immigration office next week to get the same clarified, but wanted to know the problem better and what all the points I need to highlight...
by MinamiHito  

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 13:14
You need to inform immigration of your leaving xyz company by June 14, not July.

Is the position you are being offered at company abc of the same nature as the one you have currently at XYZ?

Are you going to be hired by ABC KK (the entity in Japan) or the overseas parent Company ABC?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 13:25
Am I able to go back to my country during the process of job change?

If I go to my country will I be able to enter Japan with the same Residence card?

Yes, as long as you have not received a notification that your status is up for revocation. After you have received it, you are no longer eligible for the "special re-entry permit" system, so you'd have to apply for an ordinary re-entry permit, which would probably be denied.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 14:04
Hello AK,

Thanks for the response...

You need to inform immigration of your leaving xyz company by June 14, not July.
yes you are right. Sorry my bad!

Is the position you are being offered at company abc of the same nature as the one you have currently at XYZ? Yes I am on ENGINEER VISA and the new XYZ company also I'll be working as IT Engineer

Are you going to be hired by ABC KK (the entity in Japan) or the overseas parent Company ABC? Will be hired by ABC KK once registered, but the offer letter will be provided by ABC Parent company
by MinamiHito rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 14:07
Thanks for your response Firas.

So I understand that if I don't receive any revocation which I beleive the window is 90 days, I can travel back to my country and then to Japan again!

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 14:41
The three-month "grace period" was recently abolished; now they can start the revocation process at any time after you leave your job.

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 14:45
@Firas

Oh! that's comes as bad news, was there any info about this in the Immigration website?

Anyways I am planning to go to Immigration office next week to clarify my situation...

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 14:56

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 15:05
@Firas

Thanks. I'll check with Immgration Office and post back here.

I'll also share the link to the Immigration Officer and get it clarified, as I understand it only if I engage in some other activity that is not allowed under the current visa status i.e. from ENGINEER to TEACHER, etc, the status may be revoked before three months... So, in my case I am not going to involve in any other activities instead go back to my country and come back and join the new job...

Sorry my Japanese skills are limited so correct me if my understanding is wrong...

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 15:22
as I understand it only if I engage in some other activity that is not allowed under the current visa status i.e. from ENGINEER to TEACHER, etc, the status may be revoked before three months...

No; if you do that you risk imprisonment and/or a fine and/or deportation. That's a totally different thing.

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 15:26
@Firas

Hmm... I'll better confirm with Immigration office...

Thanks a lot for your response

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 15:58
在留資格に応じた活動を行っておらず,かつ,他の活動を行い又は行おうとして在留している場合という新しい取消事由(第22条の4第1項第5号)
I think MinamiHito is correct.

the new law is not applied to foreigners who are seeking new jobs with no working. (3 months grace period is applied.)
the law is applied to foreigners who are seeking new jobs with working temporarily in jobs which are in different residential status categories.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 16:21
This doesn't make sense; doing a paid activity other than that permitted under your status (without permission) is already prohibited (under Article 19)...

Re: Job Offer and Travel during job change 2017/5/18 19:07
As far as I understand the text of the law, if, while you are (for example) on an "engineer" resident status, you quit your company, and is obviously getting ready to establish a company on your own or actually starts business on your own while not working as an engineer, then your engineer status could be subject to revocation even if it less than 3 months after you quit your job as an engineer.

I don't think this applies to people who left their employer, and is trying to find another job in the same/similar field.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread