Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 01:57
If I have a bachelors degree in any field, is it possible for me to get a working visa for simple jobs such as working at a cafe in Japan?

I speak Japanese so language is not a problem. I don't have a JLPT level though.

There is no working holiday visa available for my country unfortunately.

Thank you.
by majisuka  

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 13:07
No.
Technically there are no "working visa" but several visas that allow foreigners to work. Each visa is for a specific category: engineer, teacher...
Immigration will never give you a visa to work in a cafe. There is no visa for that kind of job. No need to bring foreigners for that, any jobless Japanese can do that.

I don't mean to be cynical but there a thousand of your countrymen already here in Japan trying to game the system by who filling for refugee status in Japan just to open a kebab shop. You can try that one too...
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 14:16
I love the Kebab shops here in Japan, although I miss some other food also.

On topic
A master degree in many, I do not understand that, what is you specialty? What is you main field?
As mentioned there are different kind of visas you can apply for, if you have a field which you are specialized in. Working in a cafe is even not allowed by Japanese law.

by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 16:41
Don't I have the right to live in Japan, just because I want to? I don't think there has to be a need for me to do a contribution which the Japanese cannot do.

I mean, if you marry to a japanese you just have most rights a japanese has. I know a turkish woman like that. She's not even working as far as I know. And she has the right to work at any job.

And I'm not some random Turkish guy wanting to live in japan. I studied japanese for years. I have an understanding of the culture so I can adapt.

my specialty will be "philosophy" and I don't think I can do anything with that in Japan. but I read that if I have a bachelors degree in any field I can get a working visa so...

English isn't my native so teaching english is probably not possible. But still maybe I can apply for language related jobs even if they are not my "specialty".

I don't want to live in Japan because my work force is needed. I want to live in Japan that's why I want to work there.

Thank you for any answers.
by majisuka rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 16:48
It is not about the right but about the need. There are laws in Japan which apply for that.
Japan welcome skilled workers, who are specialized.

There are many kinds of visa and you can have a look which one could be suitable for you.
http://www.juridique.jp/immigration.html

You can also try to apply for English schools and ask them for sponsor, but again you need to have English skills and degree.

by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 17:03
Unskilled labour jobs can be filled by any natural resident. Then don't need immigrants to do those jobs. There are already plenty of unskilled workers born in Japan or married to a Japanese.

Sorry but I fail to see how that offends you.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 18:24
I understand that that is the law and if that is the law, there is nothing to do about it.

hakata14,

What I don't agree with you is that "there are already unskilled workers born in japan". That doesn't justify that law. Like I said if marriage grants you to work at any job in japan and live there permanently, why not me?

And, as a western looking person with good japanese skills, I would certainly be a good element to draw customers to, say, a different kind of coffee shop.

so the reason you give don't make sense.

justmyday,

thank you. do you think an ielts degree would help? I don't have one but I can certainly get it. But if a degree in "teaching english" is required and I "must be" a native speaker, then it's impossible. I wonder if there is any opportunity to teach Turkish...
by majisuka rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 18:41
Don't I have the right to live in Japan, just because I want to?

No, you don't. Only Japanese citizens have the right to live in Japan. For everyone else, it is a privilege that the Japanese government grants and withdraws as stipulated by law.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 19:02

Unfortunately, no. And I believe it is the same in many countries. Can I (Japanese national) just move to the US if I want to? No. Can I just move to the UK if I want to? No.

I mean, if you marry to a japanese you just have most rights a japanese has. I know a turkish woman like that. She's not even working as far as I know. And she has the right to work at any job.}]

The Japanese immigration authorities grant visa/resident status on "if needed" basis. Spouse visa is granted to spouse of Japanese so that he/she can live in Japan together with the spouse as a married couple. Work visas are granted so that the non-Japanese employees-to-be can come to Japan to work for the employers in Japan. Student visa is granted so that the applicant can study in Japan. They do not grant visa just because one wants to live in Japan.

So please do look for employment or study opportunities in Japan to see if any of them will work out for you. For employment, you need to find an employer who is interested in your skills that they are willing to sponsor you for a visa.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 20:03
No, as some others mentioned, Japan is not a member country of EU.

And I'm not some random Turkish guy wanting to live in japan. I studied japanese for years. I have an understanding of the culture so I can adapt.
Sorry, this is what "I want to immigrate to Japan" guys say :D At least you sounds you don't respect Japan as you ignore Japan low (though you are just ignorant, you are not attempting to migrate to Japan illegally)
http://ishijls.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-681.html

I read that if I have a bachelors degree in any field I can get a working visa so...
What did you read, who told you so? Read OFFICIAL SITE so that you will know the truth that there are several visas depending on your job and what you need to apply.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html

English isn't my native so teaching english is probably not possible. But still maybe I can apply for language related jobs even if they are not my "specialty".
Although I have never heard of Turkish teacher of English yet, I know some non native English teachers, whose English is worse than you :D

I want to live in Japan that's why I want to work there.
Why? what is your motovation? If you don't mention them, you just sounds as if you just immigrate to Japan for benefit (money) or for yellow can hunting.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 20:21
as a western looking person with good japanese skills, I would certainly be a good element to draw customers to, say, a different kind of coffee shop.

You can find a job and live in Japan in your daydream.

If you want to work and live in Japan, read all answers above, everybody are seriously advising you, there are not trollers.
by turukojin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 21:37
Just because you want to live in Japan......I wish it was that easy.
We don't need visa then, do we?
Hopefully a company will support your visa, or you find a Japanese wife...
Good luck!
by Nori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/18 23:53
Ofc people can get visas for working low jobs in Japan, but you need to be related to companies. I just read in Nikkei Newspaper how philipine women where hired for cleaning appartments in Japan.

But yeah you need to connection i believe.
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/19 00:53
Ofc people can get visas for working low jobs in Japan,

But not all people, it is ususally "trainees" from developing countries and "care takers" from EPA contracted countries such as Phillipined and Indonesia, etc.

I am not sure whether you, a Turkish are eligible to work as a trainee or not... even if you are, I don't reccomend this way, because it actually exploitation rather than training in most cases.
You will be forsed to work long hours at a factry, farm etc, but won't receive wage fully because your employer or agent deducts "accommodation fee" "meal fee" "traning fee", etc.

In addtion, visas for that are bacially not Wroking visa;
- "Technical intern training" for trainees belongs to General visa.
- "Designated activities" for care takers from EPE belongs to Speified visa.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html
In order to apply such visa, you ususally need to be inolved in a company/agent, but also pay "commision".

Hense, looking for a proper job rather than simple job then come to Japan with a work visa is much better, even easier.
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa for a simple job? 2017/5/19 11:54
You really should read the files concerning the immigration and visa policy of Japan, as other posters already indicated.
Naturally, there's no visa for a category of Japan lovers.

Don't I have the rightto live in Japan, just because I want to?
I have never heard of this kind of nonsense.
Are you kidding (majisuka)?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread