Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/19 13:35
We have several free nights between Hiroshima and Osaka in October which I would like to spend somewhere along the Seto Inland Sea. I am considering either Onomichi or Okayama as a base. I have read that parts of the west coast are heavily industrialized, especially around Fukuyama, but in the same articles they describe close by Onomichi, Tomonoura and the islands in the inland sea as being beautiful, charming, etc. That seems inconsistent with heavily industrialized. Can anyone shed light on this?

Thank you
by Heidisueelvus  

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/19 14:07
Stay a couple of nights on some of the islands within the Art projects. Trust me - these are NOT heavily industrialised....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/19 18:43
There are indeed highly some industrialized areas in the Seto inland sea, but there are also plenty of wonderful areas free of ugly looking factories. Actually I think Seto naikai is one of the most beautiful parts of Japan.

If you stay in Onomichi, I recommend you explore the nearby islands along the Shimanami Kaido. Tomo no Ura is also a wonderful village.
by Vienna Logan rate this post as useful

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/20 06:49
I guess they were talking mostly about the areas south of Hiroshima (between Yanai and Shimonoseki, such as Shunan) when they said heavily industrialized, however this wouldn't interfere with a visit to Onomichi or Okayama or other places you've mentioned. I've taken the local train through there a few times and would actually say is quite rural outside of the urban area. Fukuyama is a nice place to visit too, though not really a tourist destination, and you wouldn't see any of the industrialized zones from the train.
by FancyLampshade rate this post as useful

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/20 08:15
Thank you for your replies. It sounds like I don't need to worry!
by Heidisueelvus rate this post as useful

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 02:39
I went last year from Onomichi to Imabari crossing the Seto Inland sea. Specially the islands near Onomichi were a bit industrialized but there was a place that captivated me a lot, Setoda town, it's very small and no touristic, you can go by boat from Onomichi and spend half or one day there.
by Peter1986 rate this post as useful

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 07:55
I would agree with areas like Tokuyama, but Onomichi and Tomonoura are beautiful. I've been to the latter only once (this year), but the former I've visited the last three years. It's a beautiful section of the Seto Naikai. I will visit both again in October; that's how much I like the area!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 11:45
We some friends and my wife visited Onomichi last October, and wenty cycling along Shimanami kaido.
Next day we got on the boat from Onomichi to Tomonoura using JR free pass.

As you worry, I saw tankera are being built on the sea.

But it was wonderful experience for me to see such big tankers were made
in the beatiful landscape.

It is my recommendation.

by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 11:54
I found the pictures in the following web site.

http://shimmys.dyndns.org/travelbook/onomichi/index.html

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 12:01
Thank you John. I've been having a difficult time finding accommodations in Onomichi. Do you have anywhere to suggest?
Thank you

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 12:43
Thank you for your replies. Can you recommend any accommodations in Onomichi or Setoda?

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 13:15
This place is near Onomichi satation and you can rent bicycle on the grand floor.

http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/145459/CUSTOM/GW145459140724171454.h...

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 13:46
Thank you for the suggestion. It looks good but I checked it out and they have no vacancies on the nights we will be there.

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 13:59
Please check by tripadviser, though the number in a hotel is small in Onomichi..

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g651649-d1089815-Reviews-Gree...

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/25 19:48
biwakoman advised the very hotel where I spent the night in March. It's very centrally located and very quiet. It was the most expensive of the hotels I've used in my last 5 visits to Japan, but at 8100yen, it still is very affordable. Onomichi, thankfully, is becoming a more popular place to visit, so room vacancies can be a problem. I usually day-trip it there from Hiroshima, but this last time, I wanted to spend the night so I can see more of the town. I'm not interested in the Shimanami Kaido on a bike. I have people to visit there. Unfortunately, I was sort of sick the night I spent there and didn't get to see much of Onomichi at night. Thankfully, my friends there drove me and introduced me to Tomonoura and gave me a taste of the town. Now I will visit on my own from Fukuyama.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/26 04:35
Thank you all for your replies. It has made me excited about visiting the area. I am sorry that the Cycle Hotel is full - it looks great. I have found two places that look good to me.
One is kind of a house in Onomichi but it is up on the hill near Senko-ji park and temple and I'm not sure if this would be wonderful or inconvenient. Also, there are no reviews which makes me a little nervous but it looks very nice:
https://www.expedia.com/Hiroshima-Hotels-Onomichi-Iori-Fuu.h17363683.H...
The other is on Ikuchijima in Setoda which looks lovely but I'm also wondering if it would be inconvenient for exploring:
https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/suminoe.html
I don't need to be right next to the train station and do love to stay in a pleasant place and area. If one of these was not totally inconvenient I would love go for it.
Since you all have traveled around this area do you have any thoughts on these locations?
I appreciate your feedback!
It might help if I tell you that we are considering cycling, but also interested in just exploring the islands, seeing Tomonoura and Onomichi.

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/26 09:33
My experience is like this.
I went from Onomichi to Setoda by boat by which was about 50min. riding in the morning.

I rent a bicycle at Setoda, though I am 60years old so I rent a power-assist byke, it was good selection.
Because the cycling road was good but there was hard up down before and after going across bridges.

By the way you had better reserve the type of byke beforehand by telephone or email, as the special
type of byke might be rent at all.
http://www.go-shimanami.jp/global/english/bicycle/

I went to from Setoda to Ooyamazumi shrine.
http://www.cyclonoie.com/shimanamikaido/omishima.php

I could watch the one person sumo festival that time.
It was so funny festival.

I came back to Setoda, Onomichi.
I had dinner at the izakaya in Onomichi.

Next day, I got on the boat from Onomichi to Tomonoura.
After Tomonoura, I went to Fukuyama station by bus.

Re: Seto Inland Sea too industrialized? 2017/5/26 12:33
Thank you Biwakoman for giving me your detailed itinerary, it will be very useful for me!

reply to this thread