Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

School Uniform 2017/5/22 05:03
Hello!! I'm a half Japanese girl who has been to/lived in Japan many many times. I am going on a 6 month high school exchange as I never had the chance to attend high school in Japan, however I had a question about the uniforms... I know many times they're displayed in department stores and you must provide proof of enrolment in the specific school, but how does buying it/sizing work?? I don't think I can fit the standard size (I'm kind of fat...) so how will I get the uniform? The cost of uniform is included in my program tuition.

Will I be getting one custom made to my measurements?? I know they're really expensive but since it's included in my tuition it shouldn't be a problem... do they even make them custom size?? Usually what size do they go up to in standard size? Also, how long does it take from purchase of the uniform to delivery?

The uniform type is a jumper skirt + long sleeve white blouse for summer, with a blazer over it for winter and a tie.

I don't want them to just have me go on street clothes or take something 'similar' to the school uniform because I do not want to stand out

I asked my mom, but she could fit standard size uniforms and didn't know about custom size. thank you!

-aiko
by Aiko (guest)  

Re: School Uniform 2017/5/23 09:24
Maybe you have family in Japan, since you half Japanese.
They could check for you and inform you the price and options.

My daughter is also half Japanese but we live in Japan, so is taller than average Japanese child for her age. I always go to Piago which also sell school uniforms, price is around 1,2000 each. Not that really expensive.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform 2017/5/23 09:29
thats not a problem as your uniform is included in your tuition fees.
the school tailor will take your size measurement.

contact the school and they will explain it to you.
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform 2017/5/23 10:24
Hello guys! Thanks for the reply; all of my family lives in Japan, however, I am close only to my uncle/aunt/counsin, and my counsin is in elementary. Not high school :( so they don't know. As well as my grandma, but she doesn't know either.

What is Piago? Is there a website or address? :) I will be staying in Shin-Urayasu, Chiba, although I will be travelling daily to Togane for school and visiting my family in Kawasaki/Totsuka area.

My host mom told me that it's most likely to go to a school uniform shop close to the school. It is a prefectural public high school. Do those schools have a crest on the blazer or is it just 'generic' uniform where I can get it anywhere??

Thanks!
by Aiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform 2017/5/24 01:18
I'm pretty sure the school will take care of you when you get there. I don't think they'll just make an exchange student from a foreign country go get uniforms by herself haha. Piago is a supermarket that has all kinds of things like groceries and clothes but there might not be a Piago store depending on what part of Japan you will be in. But don't worry, the school will tell you where to get it. They won't be like "okay just go buy a uniform good luck finding one that's actually our school's!" lol that would be too harsh. As for the size, unless you're like 207cm and 180kg with athletic build or something lol, they'll have your size. I mean there's plenty of voluptuous girls here in Japan but they rarely have problems finding uniforms. And even if your physique was actually that excellent, the most you'll have to do is get fitted for your custom-made uniform. Good luck and have fun!!

by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: School Uniform 2017/5/24 19:31
If you're talking about the uniforms you wear for commuting, as far as I know, new school uniforms in Japan are all tailored, regardless of the school. So there is no "standard" size. But that's just according to my knowledge as a person who have bought four uniforms in the past.

I'm quite surprised about your mom. She's probably about my age or younger. But you are also usually allowed to obtain second-hand uniforms from students who recently graduated, if you know anyone who can provide them.

I think it would take at least a few weeks to get them tailored for freshmen, but if you're coming in mid-term, I'm not sure. Also, shops expect you to come to fetch your uniforms, because you might need some last-minute adjustment after actually trying them on. In fact, quality shops will even give you advice on how you can wear them stylishly.

Either way, ask the school first for details. By the way, some schools provide a measuring session for freshmen, but that happens only once a year, so if you're getting new ones, you will most likely need to go to the shop to have you measured.

You also probably need to obtain (ready-made) uniforms for physical ed, and shoes for various facilities etc. Make sure you ask about them to the school too.

By the way, not all Piago sell uniforms, and they don't sell uniforms of all schools in Japan anyway.

Hope you enjoy school in Japan!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread