Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/23 06:45
Hi community,

we've planned a trip in Oktober and have come up with the following intinerary:

Day 1 - Arrive in Kansai early morning, Train to Fukuyama (~10.000 JPY), stay in Fukuyama
Day 2 - Daytrip to Okunoshima, stay in Fukuyama (1680JPY)
Day 3 - Train from Fukuyama to Okobe (~7.000 JPY), stay in Iya Valley
Day 4 - Stay in Iya Valley
Day 5 - Train from Okobe to Ozu (~10.000JPY), Stay in Ozu for 4 nights
Day 6 - Trip to Uwajima (4440JPY via express)
Day 7 - Trip to Matsuyama (4440JPY via express)
Day 8 - Trip to Uchiko
Day 9 - Train to Matsuyama (2530JPY via express), Flight from Matsuyama to Narita

I am now trying to figure out the best way to apply Railpasses.
As the most expensive trips are on day 1, 3 and 5, it's not an easy tast, I think.

The best way I've come up so far is to use the "JR Setouchi Area Pass" from day 1-5 and simply pay for the way from Kotohira to Oboke and back (2790 JPY one way).
Is it possible to buy a ticket for these routes in advance somewhere in Kansai (prefereably when exchaning the Setouchi Pass?)

Passing Matsuyama on our way to Ozu we could think about getting a "4-Day-All Shikoku RP" if we decide to take the express trains to matsuyama, uwajima and to the airport....

Would it be possible, to have a 5-Day-All Shikoku RP starting on day 5 through 9 and having the trip vom Oboke to Kotohira covered via this? I know I would have to got to Osaka Station after the flight and have the Pass exchanged as we do not pass any major station which can exchange the vouchers.

Or does anyone have a totaly different approach that I just can't see?
While writing, I'm beginning to think that a simple regular 7-Day-RP will do the trick easiest....

Thank you very much in advance. You guys are the best.
Regards
Jan

by Jan (guest)  

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/23 12:13
I think Japan Rail Pass 7day is cheaper for your itinerary. Please check by yourself.
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/23 14:34
Actually it's not. I came up with another version yesterday:

Cheapest would be to combine the "JR Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass" and the 5-Day "All Shikoku-Pass"
(13500+10000JPY) and pay the extra trip from Kojima to Oboke on day 3. (3610JPY)

Does anyone know if Kansai-Hiroshima-Area-Pass takes me as far as Kojima and it is possible to buy the ticket from there to oboke in advance?

This approach cover all trips for 9 days but is a bit more complicated buying a 7-day-pass...
by Jan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/23 14:49
Does anyone know if Kansai-Hiroshima-Area-Pass takes me as far as Kojima and it is possible to buy the ticket from there to oboke in advance?

Kansai-Hiroshima-Area Pass will take you to as far as Utazu, the train station next to Kojima if you take the limited express train. The pass is valid on non-reserved seats of the limited express train, so you might better take your non-reserved seat after Utazu. The fee (including fare and the non-reserved seat fee for the limited express) is 2640 yen. You can buy the 2640 yen ticket at any of the JR stations with the ticket booth (Okayama, of course), but you can buy the ticket on the train from the train attendant. I believe the price would be the same.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/23 15:05
Thank you very much.

As I have plenty of time to get to fukuyama before meeting up with my friends I might try this.
Too bad exchanging the Shikoku Pass can only be done in Osaka outside Shikoku.

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/23 15:40
In many countries, there is no ticket gate in the train station. The traveller can get on the train without having the ticket, but of course this is illegal and when they met an inspector, they are charged a penalty.

In Japan, basically the travellers can not get on the train unless they go through the ticket gate. However, they can go beyond the station where the ticket is no more valid. In your case, your ticket (Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass) is valid until Utazu and if you go beyond Utazu, you can just pay the fee on the train or at the station you get off (if there is a station staff or the ticket machine which can receive the fee). This is very normal process in Japan and not illegal. Of course you can buy ticket at Fukuyama, but the station staff might be confused about your request because almost no Japanese will buy this type of ticket in advance.

Too bad exchanging the Shikoku Pass can only be done in Osaka outside Shikoku.

I checked the JR Shikoku website, and as you wrote you must exchange the pass at Osaka or some major JR Shikoku stations such as Takamatsu. This is troublesome, but the price difference may justify your additional travel :).

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/23 16:36
I've been to Japan many times but still become unsure when it comes to things like these.
The japanese fare-system might be logical in itself but sometimes is not easy to understand for outsiders (as the case with many things regarding japan ;) and has a few flaws IMO.

If I can buy the additional ticket on the train or even in Oboke I think I will do that.

Thank you for pointing out that the Kansai-Pass does not cover reserved-seat charge... I might have to do the calculation again.
Shikoku-Pass does, however....

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/23 18:06
If I can buy the additional ticket on the train or even in Oboke I think I will do that.

I searched and found that Oboke is a small station with no station staff. Probably, the train attendant will get off the train and collect the tickets. During the travel, he/she will go around the train and ask you to show the ticket. At that time show your Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass and purchase the additional tickets.

The japanese fare-system might be logical in itself but sometimes is not easy to understand for outsiders (as the case with many things regarding japan ;) and has a few flaws IMO.

Of course you are right :). Every system has its pros and cons IMO :).

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/24 07:10

I searched and found that Oboke is a small station with no station staff. Probably, the train attendant will get off the train and collect the tickets. During the travel, he/she will go around the train and ask you to show the ticket. At that time show your Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass and purchase the additional tickets.

Of course you are right :). Every system has its pros and cons IMO :).

Re: Kansai to Shikoku - advice on RP needed 2017/5/24 15:32
Thank you very much for your help!

reply to this thread