Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/24 18:36
konnichiwa Mina San,

I'm going through a very confused phase in my life at the moment, I had applied for a COE after landing in Japan on a 3 months tourist visa and my Coe arrived in about 1 month, next step I had to apply for a change of status of residence with the "COE" since I &a my wife (Japanese) have decided to live in Japan, the very next day I went and applied for change or status 1 year visa they gave me a white slip "moshikomi" visa application one and put a stamp on my passport and said that it will take about 3 weeks for the "zairyucard" to come but 3 weeks have passed by and it didn't come then I called he immigration to check the status and they said that it's not processed yet and then next day when I called they said they're checking and asked me if I applied with the coe I felt so weird that he's asking me if I applied with the coe cause he didn't even check and asking me such a silly question then my wife talked with them and they told her that "so you're husband got the coe but he forgot to take the visa before coming to Japan" I couldn't understand what that meant how can someone come to Japan without a visa. Basically we wanted to know what's going on later on we called up again since my tourist visa is about to get over but they said that the white slip they handed over to me means my extension has been granted for 2 months from the date of expiry but there will be no stamps given for the same on the passport.

I don't understand that actually cause if police catches me then they will not understand that.

Has anyone ever been into the same situation before, please share experiences

Thanks
by Ocky8  

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 11:00
The path that the immigration authorities usually suggest (their preferred way) is that applicants apply for CoE while being "outside" Japan, receive the CoE, then take it to an Embassy of Japan "outside" Japan to get a visa first, THEN come to Japan.

But of course you came to Japan first, got the CoE, and applied for "change of status of residence," so you cannot have done that. And it is no problem at all.

If police stops you and asks, you can just tell them "my resident status is being processed" or "under application," and there is no problem with that. Have on you your passport with that piece of paper in it, or if you are afraid of losing it, keep it at home but keep a copy of your passport and a copy of that piece of paper with you. Also keep your wife's contact number with you, so that if you get asked questions by police, and they cannot understand, you can call your wife immediately and get her to explain it to you.

Paperwork can take more at times; please be patient.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 11:30
or if you are afraid of losing it, keep it at home but keep a copy of your passport and a copy of that piece of paper with you.

... and get fined 200,000 yen for not having your passport with you.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 16:38
I thought a CoE should only be obtained if you want to enter on a visa (spouse visa here), and that for a change of status (to spouse of Japanese national here) you don't need one. Was I mistaken?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 17:04
Thanks a lot people for your valuable feedback what my concern is that i am not able to understand what's going on, as in they "the immigration" said wait for 3 weeks and usually it takes 5 days for it to come but in my case it has already been about 28 days but still no response, when I call them they ask me illogical questions and it makes meeh scared for e.g. Did you apply with the coe? Did you forget to take the visa before coming to Japan.

Now I'm always thinking like what if they lost my coe or my file or what if they feel bothered if I make a call over n over n over again, as I don't wanna piss them off too.

Please advise guys
by Ocky8 rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 17:18
I thought a CoE should only be obtained if you want to enter on a visa (spouse visa here), and that for a change of status (to spouse of Japanese national here) you don't need one. Was I mistaken?

You are not mistaken.

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 18:07
Hi Firas,

I have applied the change of status with the coe, now I have waited for 28 days already and usually it takes 5 days only, so I wanted to know why it's taking too much time.

Please advise

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 18:28
Hi Firas,

I have applied the change of status with the coe, now I have waited for 28 days already and usually it takes 5 days only, so I wanted to know why it's taking too much time.

Please advise

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 20:21
Who told you that a change of status usually takes 5 days? It does not, three months is not uncommon.

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/25 20:35
i think you may have misunderstood/mis-informed. You won't received you zairyu card until your change of status is approved, which take longer than 5 days. At least one month for application approval.
Lucky that your COE takes only 1 month, mine took almost 3 months.

As said COE is used to accompany visa application outside Japan, at your country Japanese embassy.

Since you make change of status from temporary visitor status to spouse, with COE, the Immi will just restart your application status which take some times.

Along the way, miss communication between Immi regarding your COE and change of status may delayed your application. Since COE-Visa and change of status are basically two different procedure.

Anyway, having the stamp application does automatically extend your status two months from your expiration.

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/26 11:03
Don't know what is going on with all these people marrying Japanese, they can't figure out a simple difference between application for COE and change of status. There is a new thred every other day asking for exactly same information.
God bless Japan with all these people staying there as future residents

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/26 13:41
Hi Firas/Mr. Guest
Thanks allot for your valuable feedback I just wanted to know 2 more concerns.
1. If I cancel my application would I get back my coe in order to take it back to my home country and apply the spouse visa from there?

Also
2. If I choose not to cancel and go on with it by waiting as much as it takes to arrive then can I at least travel to my home country or somewhere outside Japan.

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/26 13:55
these questions you could also ask immigration. Just give a call and you have your correct answer. I dont know why you dont communicate with immigration about important issues like this. Because if you make a mistake you can start over again.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/26 13:55
1. In principle, documents submitted as part as an application are not returned, but they can make exceptions. You need to ask them.

2. Since you are on temporary visitor status, you are not eligible for the "special re-entry permit" system, which means that if you leave Japan your status and all applications will be canceled. You can try to obtain an ordinary re-entry permit, but the chances of it being granted are probably very low. http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/06.html

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/29 11:39
When I went to apply for the change of status, the upper section where we submit the papers, The lady told me that it will come in a month but when I went downstairs information counter she also said the same thing but she said if it doesn't come in a month's time just come back to us.

Now it has been over a month when we call them they say it takes 3 months so I'm kinda confused whether to go to them or not as she said please come back.

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/29 13:02
The upstairs and downstairs clerks are just clerks and no matter how many times you ask them the status they will say it's in process

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/29 15:21
You got your extension of stay with your application stamp, which give you 2 months extension from your initial expiry date.

As many have told, process take time from 1-3 months depending on situation.
So check again when its near the 2 month extension.

Nothing much you can do but calm down and wait for the good news. You can try checking with them once awhile

Re: Applying for change of status with coe 2017/5/30 15:52
Thank you Guest for your response

reply to this thread