Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/27 16:37
Hi. I am 19 years old and my sister is 18. Our Mother is living in Japan for almost 18years. And now she is married to a Japanese and they have one son which is 13 years old already. Our mother wants us to go there and stay. Not as a tourist. We are using our father's last name. My mom and dad are not married by the way. Some told us that my mom cant get us since we dont have the same last name. Is it true? Is it really required for me and my sister to get our mother's last name? And also, we are now waiting for our passport. And after that we will apply for eligibility. Is it still possible mom can take us there even tho we dont have the same last name? And how months will it took for us to wait for our eligibility? Pls answer me 😞 i am hopeless right now. Thank you so much.
by Jean (guest)  

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/27 16:54
Some told us that my mom cant get us since we dont have the same last name. Is it true?

No, it is not true.

Do note however that if your mother has "Spouse of Japanese National" status, she cannot sponsor you for "Dependent" status, so you will need to apply for "Long-term Resident" status, which may be more complicated. In any case, it is your mother who will apply for your Certificate of Eligibility; you can't do it yourself since you are not in Japan.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/27 21:34
In addition, do you have proof e.g birth certificate to proof your relationship to your mother.
Just asking, since you will be require to proof your relationship.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/28 05:28
You and your mother really should be talking to an immigration lawyer. I'm not saying the answers you've already read are wrong, I'm just saying that an immigration lawyer is the correct person to ask...not random strangers on the internet.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/28 14:43
Lots of missing information, but it looks like you have no connection with Japan. The post reads like non-Japanese mother in Japan, biological father not Japanese (if he was, that would help), and you and your sister are not Japanese. That is going to make it really really hard to get a visa.
by JapanCustomTours (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/28 15:19
Lots of missing information, but it looks like you have no connection with Japan. The post reads like non-Japanese mother in Japan, biological father not Japanese (if he was, that would help), and you and your sister are not Japanese. That is going to make it really really hard to get a visa.

By that logic, "Dependent" status would be "really really hard to get" for every child of every foreigner living in Japan...

The main problem I foresee here is that OP and his/her sister have been living outside Japan without their mother for many years, so immigration will probably want to see a good reason why they need to come live in Japan with their mother now, especially since they are almost at majority age.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/28 19:20
just saying that an immigration lawyer is the correct person to ask

be careful with lawyer who seems to be kind but actually just make money with cheat, especially if you are Filipino.
If he/she says things differentnt from Firas-san, he/she is that kind of lawyer, that you should not involived in.
by Mabuhay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/28 21:36
Hi its me, jean. I am very thankful to you all for answering my question. Yes, we have a proof that we are her daughter. Through our birth certificate. Yes, some told us that we will be questioned why do we want to go to Japan. Of course we will answer honestly. We want to be with our mother and we also want to find a job there. My Mom told us that our guarantors are my stepfather who is japanese and my stepfather's mother. My Mom and stepfather has a very good record in Japan. They both have a good work that can support us living there. I thought it would be easy for us to go there as long as my mom and stepfather has a good job, as long as our mom recognizes us as her daughter. Pls help me 😞 what should we do?
by Jean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/28 22:42
Telling immigration you want to work in Japan will likely be a strike against you as (as far as I understand) the "long term resident" status you would be trying to get is given on the basis of need- you will need to prove that you need to be in Japan with your mother and your mother is the only person who can care for you, which, as another poster said, is going to be very difficult if you have been living apart so long and are almost legal adults. While residency status will allow you to work, it is not given for the purpose of work. Likewise, just wanting to live with your mother is not considered reason enough to give you a visa since she is not a citizen, even with a Japanese guarantor.

Your best bet is to gather documentation showing you don't have relatives or support in your home country and have an immigration lawyer help you prepare a case for resident status.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/28 22:46
They both have a good work that can support us living there.

So, "Long-term Resident" is ususally NOT for over 20yo people, in case their father or mother is in Japan as "Spouse of Japanese national".
Over 20yo people (some times even 18yo people) are regarded as too matured to be supported father/mother.
This is what I heard though...

what should we do?
Hurry up, you have already 19yo!
by J (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 08:35
Frias: By that logic, "Dependent" status would be "really really hard to get" for every child of every foreigner living in Japan...

Let me clarify. The OP appears to be living independently in another country. 19 and 18 years old is hardly a child, and as pointed out by another poster, almost at the age of majority (20). If they were really dependent on their mother, the situation would be (obviously) different. I have not checked if a child of 30 (as an example) can still be classified as "dependent" as there is probably a boundary or change in assessment somewhere.

From the information presented, IMO getting a visa still looks difficult. But the final decision would be immigration, not the opinions of people like myself on an internet forum.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 09:09
not the opinions of people like myself on an internet forum.

I agree with this, I advice you to collect right information on what you and you mother need, having refer to adviced above and looking at official site of MOFA and Immigration, before trollers come here (lol)

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/index.html
by mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 11:54
Hi this is me, jean. Again, thank you to you all for answering me. Our biological father can't raise us anymore. He has his own family right now with 3 children. Since we were born, we are living from our grandmother (mother of our father). She raised us without a help from our mother (bcos our mother left us since i was 1yr old) when she is already in Japan, our communication stopped and also our financial support from her. Our father still gives us a little amount of support, but it is not enough for the both of us. Our grandmother doesnt have a job. When I turned 13 years old, our mother came back. Reaching for us that she wanted to get us back. We communicate thru facebook. Until now. She supported us in college. And stop since she badly wants us to be with her in Japan as soon as possible. And we also want to be with her. Our father cannot raise us anymore (me and my sister) bcos he has his own family now. By this time, we still staying in our grandmother's hand. Our father still gives us a support but still not enough. What documents do we have to explain this to immigration? And about the age requirement, is it really true? Our mother is now a citizen in Japan. Thank you, everyone!
by Jean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 12:50
Your situation is very complicated, so please talk to a reputable immigration lawyer and find out what you need from them. These kinds of cases are handled on an individual basis by immigration so aside from general advice and heresay about what we've heard of other cases there isn't anything we can tell you about the specifics of how to get this kind of visa or how good your chances are.

If you look at the guidelines for special permission on the immigration homepage, you'll see that it does specify "a minor unmarried child" as a reason to grant this status, which would suggest that after 20 it would be much harder or impossible to get, so it would be best to talk to an attorney ASAP.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 13:00
If your mother so badly wants you there then she should be the one asking these questions from immigration attorney
You guys are still young and may not understand the complexities of life and relationship, let me own up her motherhood and make this happen for you if she really wants it

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 13:10
you are 19 years old and my sister is 18. and your Mother have been living in Japan for almost 18years.
your mum = 18years in japan...
19-18= 1
18-18=0
japanese immigration are not crazy .. they know the truth. if your mother really need you guys bad now . how could she dump lil babies in other to live in japan. because of money ?.
by chike20 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 13:58
but if true . your stepfather should can adopt your sister as she is 18. that will be very easy for to move to japan.
by chike20 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 14:18
Does she want you to be with here in Japan for love?
Isn't it that she stopped her support for your education for financial reason?

Yes, she may miss you a lot as a mother, even if she had neglected you till the age of 13.
However, I think, as long as she can afford your life in, spending money for your collage in your own country till you get a degree seems to be better.
Even if your visa was granted, I don't think you can easily find a job with yout current situation, it would be only illegal factroy works with the max of luck.

Moving to Japan after getting a degree and some work experience seems to be easier.
You can still come to Japan to meet her with short term visit visa for a vacation.
by kare kare (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 15:15
OP..

When you mentioned
Our mother is now a citizen in Japan
does this mean your mother is now living in Japan with Japanese Citizenship?

Best is you need to ask your mother to start making inquiries about this and start gathering necessary documents.
Talk to immigration lawyers.

Only Japanese Immigration can provide details and approval, the forum can only tell you hearsay or experience but in the end what matters is Japan Immigration.

Re: Please answer me I am hopeless 2017/5/29 15:23
Get a job if parents and grandparent cannot support you. You are both 18 and 20 years of age and able to work.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread