Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/6 11:13
Hi all,

I'll be going to Tokyo in July-Aug for ten days this year and have about AU$1500(\12,000 approximately per day) to spend. This is after paying for accommodation and flights. Hoping to get a 2 day pass into Disney Parks and the rest is for food, transportation, shopping and visiting other museums. Is this enough?

Many thanks,

Irmz
by Irmz (guest)  

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/6 13:16
This is more than enough, my budget was about 10000Yen per day when I was in Japan, and I ended up spending only about half of my daily budget, sometimes even less.

But I think your budget is definitely fine, just keep an eye on your spending and you should be fine.

My Mistake was holding back on doing certain things while I was in Japan due to my budget but in the end I had more than enough to try new things, so don't hold back if you really want to go and try new things, enjoy it.

Luckily im planning another trip back to Japan to do all the things I missed out on.

Have a blast.
by Frankie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/6 14:00
I just want to reiterate what the poster from above stated. Watch you budget but don't let a couple dollars hold you back! I also am planning another trip covering some of what I missed last time :/
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/6 23:13
This seems very doable - unless you have lots of shopping to complete. As mentioned previously - you should be able to do most of whatever you want to do as long as you are sensible with your money. Transport, attractions and meals can easily add up. My biggest hint is to only eat at Izakaya's sometimes as they get expensive quite quickly.

My more expensive days are around this amount. Do note that if you also catch lots of taxis the price can also increase quickly...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/6 23:46
It all depends on your spending habits, whether you intend to do shopping, there will be some days you will spend more or less, just add that to the next day, but keep tab on your spending limit.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/7 07:32
After you take Disney out of your total, you should probably also look at any other expensive items you are wanting to do (ie, the above 5,000 yen ones).

Museums and the like are usually pretty affordable (under 1000 yen), but some galleries are expensive (for what you get), and there are lots of free things around the city too.

Transport and food - you can eat/drink pretty well for that, and the train system is affordable.

So unless you are buying something expensive, your 12,000/day should be heaps.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/7 11:13
I'm not planning to buy any luxury items and the shopping I will be doing is for manga/anime figurines and plush toys as well as souvenirs for people back home. I will take your advice on board. Thank you all for the replies and insight!
by Irmz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/7 20:48
Just for your information, manga, figurine and plush toy can get really expensive, so watch your spending.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/7 23:24
I would say that this is a safe amount only if you have a valid credit card or if you are a budget traveler and good at it.

Almost every expensive thing in Greater Tokyo, including the transportation fee between Narita and Tokyo, is payable by credit card unless you're aiming for something rare (like figures). And if you run out of cash, you can draw out money with your credit card.

That's the best thing about international cities - credit cards work. Keep in mind that once you start drinking or eat lots of beef, your bill may rise very quickly. I'm a resident and I've spent 17000 yen by card for one meal for two at a casual neighborhood yakiniku!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/8 10:04
You can easily do fine on half of that if you want.

Your main expenses will be accommodations, food, transport, and incidentals...and you have already removed accommodations from the equation.
You can eat quite decently at a restaurant for 1000 yen per meal. Or go even lower with food from convenience stores, fast food and department store bento nageuri sales after 6 PM (not that I am recommending that as the ideal way to go).

You can also get a 2 or 3 day subway day pass and easily get your money's worth while going all over the city.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html#anc03

Shopping and souvenirs can be a few dollars each to the sky is the limit - all depends on what you want.

What you need to know is that some things can get extremely expensive, but quite often there is a cheaper alternative. You can get a killer view over the city at the Sky Tree - perhaps none better. But if you don't want the lines and the price, there are many free alternatives as well.
http://supermerlion.com/10-free-tokyo-city-views/
And there are many good places that are free - Sensoji, Meiji Shrine, Imperial Palace East Gardens, Yasukuni Shrine, etc. and many more. Tokyo Cheapo or some other site probably has a long database of such places.

Just remember that taxis and bars can be lethal.

You should do just fine.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/13 22:13
Thank you all again for your input. Most helpful.
by Irmz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12,000 yen per day in Tokyo enough? 2017/6/14 06:39
I agree with all of the above. Food can be delicious and cheap, for example ramen shops or rice bowls are generally very affordable.

If you plan on a lot of side trips then the train can get expensive as well, but still manageable within your budget. Hakone has an all inclusive round trip pass and a lot of things to see around Nikko and Kamakura are also free or quite affordable. A round trip is easily 4000 yen or so just transportation.
by WJ (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread