Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita Airport to Shinjuku 2017/6/10 08:57
Hello,

So we arriving Tokyo via Narita airport and our Hotel for three days is in Shinjuku. We already have our JR pass for our trip. My understanding is your take Narita Express (covered under JR pass) from the Narita Airpport to Tokyo.

Do we need to change trains from Tokyo to Shinjuku or does the Narita Express go Shinjuku station as well ?

Cheers
R
by ras729  

Re: Narita Airport to Shinjuku 2017/6/10 10:40
No need to change trains. They go directly to Shinjuku:
http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/english/wb/com...
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Narita Airport to Shinjuku 2017/6/10 21:06
You mean you have the JR Pass Voucher and not the rail pass itself, right?

You need to exchange your Voucher for the actual Rail Pass at Narita Airport. You'll have to find a JR Ticket Office (there are signs that indicate JRPass exchange) and one is right across the N'Ex. At the JR Ticket Office, you will fill out a form (name, passport number, and DATE of first use). Since you will be using the N'Ex to go to Shinjuku you will put the date of your arrival in Japan. Also, N'Ex has reserved seating only. At the counter, the agent will ask you where you are going and you tell him/her that your hotel is in Shinjuku and they will assign you next available N'Ex with car and seat number. You do not need to do any transferring. Shinjuku Station is one of the N'Ex stops. Just watch the screen at front of your car and it shows future stops so you know when to get ready to get off at Shinjuku Station.
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Narita Airport to Shinjuku 2017/6/11 06:11
Hi Everyone, I have a side question. I am also taking Narita express to to to Shinjuku on July 5th and staying there for 2 nights, but coming back in tokyo, i am staying in Shibuya before leaving on 18th. Would I have problem using my return ticket to board the train from Shibuya rather than Shinjuku ? Thanks. Thanks to all for helping with our upcoming trip. we are all excited.
by Pradip Patel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita Airport to Shinjuku 2017/6/11 06:56
Train doesnt stop at Shibuya
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita Airport to Shinjuku 2017/6/11 08:33
Would I have problem using my return ticket to board the train from Shibuya rather than Shinjuku ?

No, no problem, whatsoever. I assume you refer to the NEX Tokyo Round Trip Ticket.

Train doesnt stop at Shibuya

Yes, it does.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Routes of Narita Express trains 2017/6/11 10:08
Narita Express trains which leave or reach Shinjuku Station make a stop at Shibuya.

Most Narita Express trains going from / to the airport consist of two trains which take different routes beyond / until Tokyo Station.
: Shinjuku route trains, which make a stop at Shibuya Station before / after Shinjuku.
: Yokohama route trains, which make a stop at Musashi-Kosugi Station before / after Yokohama.

Beside these two route combined trains, there are some single route trains which take just one of the two routes.

http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/english/wb/com...

The timetable on the website has a weak point that a (set of) the same number Narita Express train(s) may appear on two different pages, which is misleading.
e.g. Narita Express 46 on Pages 5 and 6.

Do we need to change trains from Tokyo to Shinjuku or does the Narita Express go Shinjuku station as well ?

That depends on the timing.
Maybe you can soon catch a two route N’EX train or a Shinjuku route N’EX train, maybe not.
How is your flight to NRT scheduled?

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Routes of Narita Express trains (2) 2017/6/11 11:12
Oh, are you asking whether you need to change trains at Tokyo Station?
Then, you don’t need to do so, because you can choose Shinagawa Station even when you take a single route Narita Express train for Yokohama.

Shinagawa Station is much simpler than Tokyo Station.

Case (A) You catch a Narita Express train which has two destinations, and have a seat in its Shinjuku route part.
: You don’t need to change trains.
: At Tokyo Station, the train gets divided into two trains; the Yokohama route train departs earlier by a few minutes than the Shinjuku route train.
: The separated Shinjuku route train skips Shinagawa Station.

Case (B) You catch a single route Narita Express train for Shinjuku.
: The destination of the train may be a station beyond Shinjuku.
: You don’t need to change trains.
: The train makes a stop at Shinagawa Station.

Case (C) You catch a single route Narita Express train for Yokohama.
: The destination of the train may be a station beyond Yokohama.
: The train makes a stop at Shinagawa Station.
: At Shinagawa Station, you can make a transfer to the Yamanote Line’s outer track.

Re: how to get to your Shinjuku hotel 2017/6/11 12:20
You'll have to find a JR Ticket Office (there are signs that indicate JR Pass exchange)

Depending on time zones,
you go to either JR East Travel Service Center or JR Ticket Office in NRT Terminal 1 or 2;
or, during the late hours when these centers and offices are closed, you can neither turn in your Exchange Orders for Japan Rail Passes nor take a Narita Express train on that day, in which case you have to consider another option to get to your Shinjuku hotel.

If your plane arrives at NRT Terminal 3 and you hope to travel by railroad to Tokyo, you head first to NRT Terminal 2.

our Hotel for three days is in Shinjuku.

Where is that Shinjuku hotel?

Shinjuku Stations (on many lines of several operators) and Shinjuku-nishiguchi Station are forming a huge complicated railroad and shopping complex.
There are also some other stations in Shinjuku.

Is Shinjuku Station of JR really best for your access to the hotel?

Re: Narita Airport to Shinjuku 2017/6/11 14:59
Our flight arrives at Narita Airport Terminal 2 at 4pm Japan time on Wednesday

Our hotel address in Shinjuku is 1-28-13 ShinjukuShinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 0022

by ras729 rate this post as useful

Re: how to get to your Shinjuku hotel (2) 2017/6/13 09:39
I see….
This hotel chain has two hotels in Shinjuku City; please pay attention to their full names.

From Shinjuku Station of JR it sounds too far to walk to this hotel.
When a taxi runs smoothly, you can get from near New South Gate to the hotel within 10 minutes and a taxi fare is estimated at around 700 yen per car per ride.

In Shinjuku Station, Narita Express trains use Tracks 5 and 6, and Yamanote Line’s outer track is Track 15.
There are two passenger bridges, one of which leads to New South Gate, Koshu-kaido Gate and MIRAINA TOWER Gate.
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e866.html

Re: Narita Airport to Shinjuku 2017/6/13 18:21
Is this your hotel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3qKxF_dYS8

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LWI6t4k7NE&t=40s

I've used /followed his other videos from getting of the NEX in Shinjuku Station and to my hotels. Just watching it helped familiarize myself before I got there.
by hibell77 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread