Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel ideas in Autumn 2017 2017/6/10 16:53
Hello friends,

I am planning my third trip to Japan.
In the 2 last times, I had amazing experience during cherry blossom season, and I was too fortunate to be in cities once full-bloom. Now, for 3rd time, I want to visit autumn season this year.
I have not been any city in the North. The furthest city from Tokyo I visited was Sendai.

General idea: I think I should start the trip from 22-Sep in Sapporo, then go down to the South and stop in Tokyo for return flight. I will spend 2 weeks.

Now, I need your help to give me where I should visit during the trip. Of course, I really want to visit the best spots in autumn. Additionally, the duration from 22-Sep to 7-Oct will be the good time for the autumn, won't it?

thanks for your help.
by lnkhang  

Re: Travel ideas in Autumn 2017 2017/6/13 02:36
The timing will be tricky. This website has suggestions as to the peak weeks: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html
by SkipperL rate this post as useful

Re: Travel ideas in Autumn 2017 2017/6/13 08:27
My initial reaction is you are still in summer (even though it is September) and too early for autumn. Maybe in some of the most northern spots for the beginning of October for autumn leaf viewing.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Travel ideas in Autumn 2017 2017/6/15 17:31
End of September is pretty early in the season, but if youfre planning on starting on Hokkaido, it might be ok? I do think that maybe going just one week later would give you a better chance at catching some nice autumn colours further down, though.

As for suggestionsc Well, I liked the Hachimentai area during this period. We were there around 10 October last year (around Goshogake onsen) and the colours were great. As we are no great hikers, we just did a walk around Onuma pond which gave us some nice autumn colours and the short hike around the ehell valleyf at Goshogake onsen because thatfs something we could never see in our own country and therefore really interesting. Personally I thought it was lovely there, but I havenft visited any other places in Japan for the autumn colours, aside from Nikko, so I have little to compare it to.

It would take some effort to get there, you need to plan the busses carefully as they only run a few times a day. On the other hand, it isnft crowded there and the only tourists we encountered were Japanese, soc Also, you can combine it with a stay at one of the ryokan in the area.
by Ronda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel ideas in Autumn 2017 2017/6/17 17:15
Thanks, all!

I also realized that maybe I would start the trip too early for autumn. I should shift 1 week later.
I have checked some popular spots for autumn in the website, but I honestly did not feel "interested". By the way, maybe I need to do the research more....
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

Re: Travel ideas in Autumn 2017 2017/6/17 22:29
Hi there.

Your plan is early at best timing for autumn.
Can you remake plan shift for 2 weeks.I live in Fukushima.
I recomend Aizu castle and Mt.Bandai and Lake Goshiki.There are very good views.
Next recomend Nikko.There is most famous point.

My English is not good.I'm sorry.But north Japan have good places.Have a good trip.
by KEICHANSAN rate this post as useful

Re: Travel ideas in Autumn 2017 2017/6/18 15:55
@ KEICHANSAN: thank you! I take a note here! :)
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

reply to this thread