Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help, traveling with elderly parents 2017/6/12 16:50
Hey guys,
I'm traveling with dad- 85 yrs old quiet frail and walks w a cane, and mom 77 yrs old fairly healthy, to Japan for the first time this summer. Dad is half Japanese but never been there. They would love to see some part of Japan. I'm thinking of flying to Osaka and taking them to Kyoto. Any recommendations on hotel and possible tour guide and driver to take us around for 5 days so they can enjoy scenery. They are able to walk short distances only. I prefer no steps or stairs.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
What do you guys think of cruise to Okinawa instead? I'm debating whether land tour or to take them on a cruise.
by Cory R  

Re: Help, traveling with elderly parents 2017/6/12 17:15
How about taking the sightseeing train in Kyushu?

http://www.cruisetrain-sevenstars.com/

by Alishan rate this post as useful

Re: Help, traveling with elderly parents 2017/6/12 17:15
Difficult since many places have stairs or hills. Also keep in mind that the period you plan is warm and humid.
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help, traveling with elderly parents 2017/6/13 02:07
Summer in most parts of Japan is really, really hot and extremely humid and disgusting and uncomfortable, especially in cities. Not the easiest climate for traveling unless you're from Miami or something and are used to the heat, or going to like, Hokkaido (northern most state) or something, where it's cool in the summer. Also Japan's land is mostly mountainous so inevitably many places have pretty steep slopes and steps and stairs. Kyoto sounds great but there will be some steps and stairs. Okinawa is tropical islands so it's even hotter in the summer. For hotels, avoid small cheap ones because their rooms can be really tiny and inconvenient.

by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help, traveling with elderly parents 2017/6/13 02:15
"Four seniors die as Japan is hit by hottest day of summer"
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/07/13/national/temperature-tops-...

Always carry lots of water and hydrate well, and keep the rooms you stay in air-conditioned and cool at all times.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help, traveling with elderly parents 2017/6/13 06:19
Can you or your father speak Japanese?
English speaking taxi drivers are very very rare.
FYI, a non-English speaking taxi costs around 40000 yen per 8 hours. English speaking ones would be 50000 yen.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help, traveling with elderly parents 2017/6/13 06:30
If you say at the Granvia in Kyoto, they offer 8 hour english language tours with transportation. They are not cheap.

http://www.granviakyoto.com/rooms/special/2017/01/the-wonders-of-world...

I think if I remember correctly Kinkakuji and Ginkakuji have more limited stairs. I remember some stairs as you leave Kinkakuji, but compared to some temples it didn't seem so bad?

Good luck!

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Help, traveling with elderly parents 2017/6/13 07:16
Ginkakuji does have some stairs that lead you to the top and gives you a view of the complex, although maybe ok if you take your time.

I would avoid Kiyomizu-dera at all costs because there are tons of stairs and walking, the paths are crowded, and the main area is under construction.

What about Kyoto Imperial Palace, Nijo Palace, Nishi Hongan-ji? More centrally located, closer to the subway line in case you don't want to hire a taxi.

Also, if Nara interests you, the temples in Nara Park, such as Todai-ji, Kofuku-ji, have limited stairs.
by AT (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread