Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Uji, Nara, and Hase-dera in One Day 2017/6/15 05:55
Hi, I'll be staying in Kyoto and would like to do a day trip to Uji, Nara, and Hase-dera due to their proximity. Is this doable in one day? Would it be too rushed?

In addition, what might be some cool things to check out in Nara that don't include the main sights?

Thanks!
by awkward_sunfish (guest)  

Re: Uji, Nara, and Hase-dera in One Day 2017/6/15 13:25
It all depends on how much (or little) you want to see/do in Uji and Nara, but I think those 2 places are do-able as a day-trip from Kyoto. I would not consider Hase-dera - that would be too much, IMO. In Uji, must see is the Byodo-in. In Nara, must see are Todai-ji, Kasuga Taisha shrine, and Kofuku-ji. Those 4 places will easily take up a day. I would also set aside a time to interact (and feed) with the deers in Nara, they are roaming around in 3 places I mentioned.
by Mikan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Uji, Nara, and Hase-dera in One Day 2017/6/15 14:08
I agree and have visited Nara and Uji in one day. In Uji it's nice to visit byodoin, walk along the waterside and visit some of the a bit touristy tea shops. All doable in 2-3 hours. For Nara you need some more time.
by WJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Uji, Nara, and Hase-dera in One Day 2017/6/15 14:41
Agree Uji 2 - 3 hours. Lunch in the restaurants over the river is very nice. Nara is easily half a day, but I am biased because I like it so much my idea of a good Japan trip is a week at Nara and then something else. The absolute "must see" is Todaiji but the other main sites listed above are nice too, and I always like a walk in the forest. The deer do get pesky and the ones around Todaiji are more pesky than other places.

For something different, try the old palace gardens. That is right next to Nara Hotel, which was built in the early 1900's and retains all of its charm. It is worth while going up to the hotel to have tea or a coctail or maybe a glass of Veuve in the parlour looking out on the hotel gardens, especially in autumn.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread