Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/16 04:35
Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the winter season affects the bus routes in the Kawaguchiko area.

I'll be travelling from Kawaguchiko Station to Mishima Station by Fujikyu bus (I think this is the best/only option) and then to a shinkasen train to Kyoto.

Is this possible mid-December?

Thank you!
by Bre (guest)  

Re: Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/16 11:47
I don't know what you mean by the "best/only option." There is always an option to take the train back to Tokyo (or Yokohama), then catch a faster Shinkansen to Kyoto. With the buses running less frequently, and the Shinkansen that stops at Mishima being slower and running less frequently, you might be able to reach Kyoto faster by backtracking to Tokyo/Yokohama.
by Mikan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/16 12:36
@Mikan: I hope you're joking...
by Firas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/16 13:09
I'm actually bit annoyed with myself. I used to live in Yokohama and Kagaguchiko is a long distance from Yokohama via Tokyo. This would have saved me 90 minutes if I knew about this option.

If you plan your times - it should be fine. My only comment is the about once or twice a year there tends to be a big dump of snow in the Tokyo area. If this occurs when you visit, then you might need to backtrack via Tokyo via train. Also note that not as many trains travel through Mishima and you'll probably not be able to catch a Hokuriku train (I think that's the major express train).

My guess would be around a 4 hour trip (including favourable transfers) from Kawaguchito and Kyoto....

by mfedley (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/16 17:06
I thought the Mishima route using bus is always faster than the Shin-Yokohama route using throughly of trains.

I searched on NAVITIME and found that this is not the case when you start at 8:00.

http://www.goo.gl/vwK4F2

If you start at 10:00, then the champion is the Mishima route.

http://www.goo.gl/89CGTq

Note that the train only route is about 2700 yen more expensive than the Mishima route. If you have JR pass, the train route is about 700 yen cheaper, but in this case you can't use the fastest Nozomi train and the overall time is always longer in the train route.
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/17 05:34
Hi
I'm Japanese
There is a night bus from Kawaguchiko to Kyoto( Osaka)
Do you want to move by bus?
If so, Please check this site ...

http://bus-en.fujikyu.co.jp/

Winter is especially cheap I think.
by Haru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/17 05:39
Sorry... Continue,
there are Shinkansen from Mishima station or Shizuoka station to Kyoto.
But it stops at all Shinkansen stations.
So would be better to transfer in Nagoya.
by Haru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/17 05:58
That's not quite true Haru, if you time for the correct Hikari you can get one that stops at Mishima vs a Kodama. I've taken the Hikari to Odawara and from Odawara, but not all Hikari stop there, you have to pick the right one. If OP has a rail pass, OP won't be using a Nozomi as is.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko to Kyoto in December? 2017/6/17 06:44
That's not quite true Haru, if you time for the correct Hikari you can get one that stops at Mishima vs a Kodama. I've taken the Hikari to Odawara and from Odawara, but not all Hikari stop there, you have to pick the right one. If OP has a rail pass, OP won't be using a Nozomi as is.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread