Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

21 day itinerary in November 2017 2017/6/18 17:38
Hey guys I would love any feedback people may have on an itinerary my partner and I have planned in November this year.
We plan to utilise the 21 day JR RailPass throughout the trip and travel via Shinkansen.
We are a young couple from New Zealand sharing our 6th anniversary, we enjoy food, culture, a few brews (me a few more) and people :)

*Arrive and stay in Tokyo Sunday 5th November for 6 nights. (Includes a day trip to Yokohama)
*Saturday 11th travel to Mishima Station in the morning and spend the day viewing Mt Fuji from the Mishima Skywalk and then travel to Kyoto where we will stay 3 nights.
*Tuesday 14th travel to Osaka and stay for 4 nights. (Includes a day trip to Kobe)
*Saturday 18th Travel to Hiroshima and have 1 nights stay in Hiroshima and 1 night on Miyajima Island (Not sure which way around, will have suitcases as we arrive and transfer etc)
*Monday 20th travel to Fukuoka and stay for 2 nights (sumo!)
*Wednesday 22nd travel back to Tokyo and stay for 3 nights before we leave on a 5pm flight from Narita.

Very open to criticism, especially on amount of time in each place. Any tips or recommendations in each are welcome :)

by Daniel and Mel (guest)  

Re: 21 day itinerary in November 2017 2017/6/18 20:11
Have you already booked the accommodations? November is the autumn leaves season so the hotels in Kyoto and Osaka are really expensive. Other than that, Saturdays are 50 to 100 % more expensive than other days of the week. If you stay at hostels, you don't need to worry about the fare, since they tend to use the same fare for busy days.

You should pack light and travel light: Your luggage should be the size of the check-in luggage of the international flight. This way you can put them on the luggage rack of the long distance trains.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: 21 day itinerary in November 2017 2017/6/19 06:00
I would second the above info. The second half of November will get a lot more busier and expensive. So book earlier is possible.

No need to stay in Kyoto and Osaka, they are 20-25 mins apart, just stay in one hotel and commute to either. Saves moving luggage that one time. Unless, see below...

You current plan is Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Tokyo. That last Fukuoka to Tokyo leg is a 6-7 hour journey with transfers on the Hikari services allowed with the JR pass.

You can use it as a rest day in which it probably needs to be further towards that start/middle of the trip. Or you do Kyoto while head west, and Osaka while heading east, breaking up the journey, so the long trip will be 3 hours on a Shinkansen.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 21 day itinerary in November 2017 2017/6/19 06:10
Both very helpful thank you, I quite like the idea of stopping at Osaka after Fukuoka.

by Daniel and Mel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 21 day itinerary in November 2017 2017/6/19 09:06
If you're staying in the Tokyo area for 6 days and not really going too far, then drop the 21 day pass for a 14 day pass.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 21 day itinerary in November 2017 2017/6/19 18:56
I agree with both suggestions above. Drop the 21 day pass. You wonft get your moneyfs worth for the time youfre in Tokyo. 14-day would be a much better (cheaper) option. (Maybe you can even plan your daytrip on the last day of Tokyo, and have it fall within that period?). Also, the suggestion to place Osaka as a way to break up your way back is a good one, as you were planning on going there anyway.

As for time spend in each place. Well, personal preference would have me spending more time in Kyoto and taking one day away from either Tokyo or Osaka, as you are spending a lot of time in Tokyo. You could even do a daytrip to Nara from Kyoto to go to a somewhat smaller city (with deer, cfmon the deer are great ). Plus, I think both Nara and Kyoto will have some lovely sights in autumn (but itfll also be busy).

If you plan on taking large-ish suitcases, you could consider just taking clothing for 2 nights in your backpack or bag for the trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima and forwarding your luggage to Fukuoka (if you can bear to be parted from your suitcase for two nights that is).
by Ronda (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread