Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do I need the JR Pass? 2017/6/20 01:39
Hi there,

Plan on spending 2 weeks in Japan. 1 week in Kanto and 1 week in Kansai. Will be staying in Shinjuku in Kanto and Kyoto in Kansai.

Last time I was in Japan, I did purchase the 2-week JR Pass, it was convenient to have it as I had to go back to Tokyo at the end of my trip to catch my flight, so I had to ride the Shinkansen for 2 round trips. I also used the Shinkansen to go to Himeji.

This time, I plan on flying out of Osaka (not Tokyo) so I won't need to go back to Tokyo.

For the first week of my trip, I don't plan on using the Shinkansen except for going to Kyoto (1-way). While in Kyoto, I'll simply go to areas which won't require a bullet-train (Nara, Osaka, etc). Will it be cheaper for me to simply use my PASMO for day-to-day use and purchase a 1-way Shinkansen ticket to Kyoto?

Thanks!
by Ryan1337  

Re: Do I need the JR Pass? 2017/6/20 10:39
No, you don't need a JR Pass - not worth the cost for your itinerary.
You can use IC card (like PASMO) or, depending on where you go within Tokyo, consider buying 72-hour subway pass(es) (also available in 24 & 48 hr).
by Hiyoag (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do I need the JR Pass? 2017/6/20 12:26
Don't
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

reply to this thread