Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Consider hostel or capsule this solo-trip 2017/6/21 02:30
Hi there,

Will be my second time in Japan. Will be going for two weeks (Tokyo/Osaka) from Canada and am consider cheaper accommodations this time such as a hostel or capsule hotel.

My first trip I stayed in western style hotels and it was pricey. This time I've found western hotels for a bit less, but still considering hostel or capsule.

What are they like for a solo traveler? Worth the savings?

Thanks!
by Ryan1337  

Re: Consider hostel or capsule this solo-trip 2017/6/21 10:39
It all depends on your budget. How much do you want to spend?

I just returned from a solo 2 month trip to Japan. I stayed at everything from a capsule hotel (2500 yen) to luxury onsen ryokan (30000 yen). Most of the time I stayed at a "businesss hotel" (5000 to 8500 yen range).

For business hotel I chose Toyoko Inn chain, because they are almost EVERYWHERE. They offer free breakfast. Their rooms are small, beds are very firm, but are all clean. Their bathrooms are what they call "unit bath" (unitized bath, which has a tub with shower head, a sink, and a commode) and cramped (I am 180 cm tall), but all functional. After several days, I got used to it. Each room also has a TV, small desk & chair, refrigerator, and a safe. For the price (5000 to 8500 yen, Tokyo is on the high-end), I think they are very good value.
by Solo Goro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Consider hostel or capsule this solo-trip 2017/6/21 16:41
Ifve never stayed at a capsule hotel but found the hostels/guesthouses we used on our own trip (alternated with the more budget hotels) quite decent. I do have to say that I wasnft a solo traveller and we picked hostels with our private room but shared bathrooms. I had no problem with the bathrooms at any time – they were always very clean. I thought it was worth the (slight due to private room) savings and sometimes even more comfortable and interesting than a hotel due to interaction with the hosts.
by Ronda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Consider hostel or capsule this solo-trip 2017/6/21 18:35
If you pick the right hostels you can meet lots of other (solo) travelers, which can be a lot of fun if that is your thing. Sharing travel experiences and ideas, having a drink together, or even traveling together for a few days can be really nice. You do have to sleep in a shared dorm if you want to keep it low-budget.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Consider hostel or capsule this solo-trip 2017/6/21 20:30
Hi Ryan. When are you planning a trip to Japan? I can recommend cheap but comfortable capsules if you like.
by One (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Consider hostel or capsule this solo-trip 2017/6/21 22:52
This is the place i'm staying, it's pretty cheap, i've already booked 3 nights+3 nights single room with ensuite bathroom at 4500Yen.

http://www.toukaisou.com/index.html

Something that I also came across which might interest you.

http://www.netroom-manboo.jp/pc/en/index.php

by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Consider hostel or capsule this solo-trip 2017/6/22 16:10
Capsules are cheap but you might not be able to get good rest.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Consider hostel or capsule this solo-trip 2017/6/23 00:58
Thank you everyone! Ideally if I can get a hostel with a single room, that would great. I'm just not sure if I like the idea of sharing a bathroom and whatnot... Although, I suppose this may be a good time to experience a hostel, meet some people, and enjoy a different atmosphere than a hotel.
by Ryan1337 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread