Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/24 03:48
Is there an app that will let me send a text to a Japanese number?

Thank you!
by Rob (guest)  

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/24 09:57
Line is common app. The other person needs line also.

But you can just send text with email or phone number called SMS
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/24 10:08
Thanks for the reply. I have Line but need to text a Japanese phone number.
Can you clarify what you mean by text with email or phone number with SMS?
by Rob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/24 15:04
In Japan, text communication via mobile phone is mainly done through LINE or keitai (mobile) mail. You could technically add someone on LINE with their number. SMS is not used much in Japan (phone plans don't come with free SMS allowance) but you could still send a direct SMS from your phone to a Japanese mobile number.
by passerby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/24 16:44
SMS is short for "short message" and it's practically the same thing as what the English speaking world call "texting". For example, airlines around the world send messages through this system. You can text most mobile phone numbers in Japan, unless the number holder has registered otherwise. Meanwhile, I don't think there is any way you can text a land-line phone number in Japan.

Are you having trouble texting a certain mobile phone number? If you can tell us more details (without clarifying the number, of course) perhaps someone can help you in a better way.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/26 12:19
Once upon a time, "texting" meant SMS, at least in the West. That was before mobile Internet became common, because SMS uses the cellular phone network, not data. Now it has mostly been superseded by Internet-based platforms, but it still exists.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/26 12:42
P.S.: If you don't know how to send SMS, consult your phone's manual or other documentation provided by your carrier. Consult your carrier also about the associated costs, if any.

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/26 14:18
Whoops, I must admit that I'm very analog and anachronic. Sorry to be off-topic, but let me make sure I get this right. So, the English term "texting" means to send email or SMS through mobile phones, and "emailing" generally means sending email through computers?

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/26 16:18
Email refers to the exchange of messages through the SMTP network protocol, now used virtually exclusively over the Internet (or at least a TCP/IP network). Since it is closely related to the Internet, it used to be used only on PCs, but now has expanded to other Internet-connected devices such as phones. Note that this is technically an international standard, so should be valid in Japan as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email

"Texting" is a much more loosely defined term, I think now it refers to any method of exchanging short text messages (as opposed to voice calls and longer messages which are sent through email). Some people may also say they are texting when they exchange short emails.

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/26 17:28
Keep it simple.

SMS Short message service uses the phone companies phone line to send text. Originally was only 160 characters that could be used. This has since increased.

Email uses the phone companies internet data. Same system as a home internet data.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/26 18:04
I believe that sms works in Japan like that:
each cellphones communicate to cellphone company's servers through their network (not internet).
each instrument can send a message of 50-70 (dependent on carriers) characters (in Japanese) and the communication was restricted inside of the company's network.
nowadays, that systems were expanded to all three carriers. (can communicate to a different network.)
also, can send a message internationally to foreign cell phones (although expensive).
probably, cell phone company's servers communicate through internet. but, each instrument and the corresponding servers communicate in a different way.
generally, the servers are connected to only among the carriers. you can't send a sms from e-mail system and vise versa.
also, those sms have been developed independently. 絵文字 in sms are assigned in different codes. not compatible among carriers.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/26 18:08
texting by cellphone number is still useful, for persons who only use 携帯電話.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Text a Japanese phone number? 2017/6/26 19:46
Thank you Firas. So it's more like short versus long. That was a very helpful English lesson.

reply to this thread