Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/26 12:52
My girlfriend and I are planning a 7 day trip to Tokyo in September, this being our first time in Japan.

We are looking to do a daytrip from Tokyo, and these three options seem to be very popularly mentioned. Each have its pros and cons so it seems hard to decide.
1) Kamakura
2) Nikko
3) Hakone

We are interested in nature/scenery/history, basically it would be a bit of a getaway from the metropolis. Upon some light research, it seems like Hakone is less attractive as an option.

What would you guys recommend?
by s97thli  

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/26 13:47
Hakone deserves an overnight stay, in my opinion. So, for a day trip, it is Nikko or Kamakura. Kamakura is closer, so it is better if time/cost is critical. Nikko has the recently restored gate of Toshogu shrine, which gives it an edge over Kamakura. But, you cannot go wrong with any of them.
by KYB (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/26 13:48
During our trip to Japan we did all three side trips from Tokyo. Although all locations you mentioned are nice breaks from busy Tokyo we liked Nikko the best. Do make sure you get there early to be able to see the main temples and go up to the lake by bus to see the waterfalls and scenery. Kamakura is also nice but is more city-like and if you would opt for that I would also recommend you to visit Kyoto and stay there for a night or two.
by WJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/27 11:54
How did you find fitting things to see at Nikko into one day?
by s97thli rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/27 12:45
I second the recommendation for Nikko.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/27 13:46
Visiting Nikko in one day is not enough to see everything so you need to decide what you want to see and go early. The number of trains going back to Tokyo late in the evening is not that many. We didn't wait for the very last one.

We went to see the Toshogu shrine and then back to the station to take the bus up to the lake. First to the second waterfall along the route and then back to Kegon waterfall. We didn't have time to get out and see the famous bridge or other shrines but still had a great time. You could consider staying a night to be able to see more.

When we went it was quite quiet and snowy up the mountain in March.
by WJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/27 18:20
I'd go to Kamakura and Enoshima, personally. Kamakura is really interesting and I really like the train trip along the seaside to Enoshima, which is one of our favorite places.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/27 21:48
Again. I didn't like Nikko. I thought it WAY over the top. on the other hand I really like Kamakura. Surely the best thing @s97thli is to look at the destination guides on this fine site & see which one appeals more. I have not been to Enoshima but really like the look of it. Thanks @Lazy Pious
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/27 21:53
personally, I love Kamakura / Enoshima as well - ideal for a relaxed day-trip in my opinion. Nikko is quite far away and it is hard to pack everything into one day. Having said that, Nikko offers more nature / scenery, and the more spectacular shrine...
by George (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/27 22:08
Based on the comments by the OP, Nikko.

Other options, Kamakura or Enoshima (I prefer not to do both on the same day), but they do not carry the important aspects available in Nikko.

Hakone - over-rated. I think it gets a lot of mentions from people that have not been to many other places - without a comparison people might say "wonderful" but actually. it's not. I reluctantly take people there and half like it.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/28 02:52
I've been to Enoshima a few times, and I really like it, especially Enoshima spa at mid day to night, there is opening set like inside a cave that you can look out across the sea, very relaxing and a nice surrounding, it's best to stay overnight, in a bright sunny day you can also get a glimps of mont fuji and the sunset looks nice.

Haven't been to Kamakura, but love to go there one day, from my searching, it looks to be a quiet town. Never had interest for Hakone, as someone has mentioned, it's a over rated destination for people who want onsen as a side trip from Tokyo, i prefer Kusatsu which is further away.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/28 12:09
Thank you guys.

After much thought and reading, we decided to do a Kamakura + Enoshima daytrip.

While I like what Nikko has to offer, spending 4-5 hour on transit (We are staying near Shinjiku) + busing while there just seems like a lot of travel for a daytrip. Plus, I have read that the shrine there is still under renovation.
by s97thli rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/28 15:04
Sweet! if you make a really early start and get to Enoshima say by 7.30AM, you can go to the lookout at the top and will probably get brilliant views of Mt Fuji. It gets hazy as the day heats up and you cant really see it, but I usually stay the night at Iwamotoro Honkan at Enoshima and get full on views of Fuji at 7AM, which is really nice looking out over the bay with the fishing boats etc
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/28 16:27
I think you made the correct decision. Nice and easy to get to from Tokyo.

Decide if you really wanna do Enoshima. It is an awesome place. But it does take some time to do. Which wont leave you enough time to do much in Kamakura.

I would do what you wanna see in Kamikura, then if time permits, add Enoshima to the afternoon.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/6/28 23:24
There are a few god temples/shrines at enoshima, make sure you get the day ticket (think it's 1000 yen) for entry to most atraction on the island, enoshima is also called a cat island, so if you like cats, they have a few, not much but it's there, visit the caves, and the edge of the sea where the waves splashes, they also have a look out tower. Also carry some coins, there is a area for you to wash them to bring good luck and earn more money, don't throw the coins in the pool, you have to take them home, it's upto you if you believe it or not. you must also try some of the restuarant and enoshima is famous for the whitebait fish, eat them alive or cooked.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Daytrip to Hakone, Nikko, or Kamakura? 2017/7/13 21:40
If you want less city, then try Kita-Kamakura.

Nikko in my eyes is just slightly too far away from Tokyo for a good day trip. And yes, Hakone is probably slightly overrated. My choice would definitely be Kamakura (or Kita-Kamakura if you like it a bit more relaxed) and if you are very energetic after visiting all the temples and shrines in Kamakura, go ahead to Enoshima, on the lovely Eno-Den train.

Note that you could easily spend 3 days in Kamakura and 1 full day in Enoshima, so you are not going to run out of interesting options to see.

And on a day with reasonably clear weather you can see Fuji-san in the sunset over the Pacific.

Nikko isn't bad either, but I think deserves one overnight stay, simply because it take a bit too long to come there.

But if finally you go for Hakone it is also nice there. However the nicest about Hakone is walking on the vulcano, which however currently unfortunately is closed to the public.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread