Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/6/30 20:00
Hi.
We've been to quite a few hot springs. Most of the places we've been to have been small places with maybe just one or two inns.

We've been to a couple of places where wandering between different baths was part of the attraction (Kurokawa, Nozawa) but last year in Kinosaki was the first time we'd been to a place where people were wandering around the town in yukata and geta, visiting the different bath houses, stopping for a snack or drink, etc - and we loved it.

I'd be really grateful for any recommendations for places which are like Kinosaki. Quaint, old, small, with nice scenery, several baths to visit, and where wandering round in yukata is part of the fun.

I've seen pictures on the main Japan guide site of Ginzan and Shibu onsens, and it looks like they might be similar to Kinosaki, so I'd be grateful for any comments on these places or any other places that you think might be what I'm looking for.

Thanks very much.
by Winter Visitor  

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/1 23:40
Indeed, Ginzan and Shibu are other nice examples. Also, there is Kusatsu and (on busier days) Ikaho.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7400.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7475.html

Dogo Onsen also has many yukata-clad people in the evenings:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5502.html

Pleasant in a different - more Harajuku-like - way is Yufuin:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4750.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/2 06:07
Thanks very much, Uji!
Idaho (and indeed the whole Gunma onsen area), sounds excellent.
We have an interest in contemporary art, so the ARC museum being nearby would be a plus factor for us. I think this definitely goes on the shortlist.
Really appreciate your help, as ever, Uji.
Anyone else who has any comments- please contribute.
Thanks in advance...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/2 06:50
Use Google image search by "Onsen town Yukata" or "‰·òŠX —ˆß" in Japanese.
by zapso (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/2 18:18
Not sure on the Yukata between inn/baths etc. But Unzen, Amagase and Yufuin in Kyushu might tick most of your boxes with multiple baths/inns and scenery to walk around and view.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/2 19:42
I want to add Bessho@Onsen, near Ueda city, Nagano Pref. You can visit old temples (built in 13C) nearby.
The place is not so crowded .

by Taki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/3 07:22
Agreed on Bessho Onsen though I dont recall seeing people out and about in yukata. Bessho Onsen is a nice little town and not so touristy. Also agreed on Yufuin (really liked it, more than Kurokawa and actually more than Kinosaki). I've seen people out and about in yukata at Takayama as well but only a few times.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/3 15:16
Bessho is great. But dont spread the news :-)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/3 17:02
And it gets sakura in mid May for those of us who want to avoid the crush of April...

But the local delicacy is horsemeat sashimi, and they can keep that all to themselves.

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/3 17:52
Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate your help.
Will look into Bessho (quietly). I quite like horsemeat sashimi.

P.S. I've only been to Yufuin once, but never felt like going back (in comparison to Kurokawa, where we've been three or four times - but that was for the amazing quality and variety of the rotemburo, and because of the awesome choice of ryokan in the area). I take your point, though, that Yufuin's a prettier place for wandering around - which is what I'm asking for this time.

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/5 04:20
We stayed at Gero onsen for 2 nights and realy loved it. People with yukata went around everywhere. It was a lot of onsen around and also foot bathes everywhere. Even free natural onsen by the river side there locals took the bath. Gero is 40 min far from Takayama by ltd express
by Ekaterina71 rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/5 07:44
That's a good tip. I have been past Gero a few times on the way to Takayama but never stayed there. It can go on the list for next time!

Re: Onsen town like Kinosaki 2017/7/5 17:50
Great stuff! Thanks a lot.

reply to this thread