Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bus or train from Kanazawa to Takayama? 2017/7/2 07:46
We are travelling to Japan in October. Amongst other places , we'll be visiting Kanazawa and Takayama.
We will have JR Passes (Gran), but I wonder if it might be worthwhile getting the bus just for this leg of our trip. It doesn't seem all that expensive, and there are some advantages over getting the train - we would avoid the train change at Toyama, we would take our luggage with us on the bus rather than forwarding it with a freight company (accommodation in both cities is very close to the respective train stations), and of course there would be the experience of bus travel in Japan (albeit a short journey). What will make the decision for us is whether the scenery from the bus is going to be more spectacular than from the train. And are there any other advantages / disadvantages? Can anyone help please?
by BettyBoop (guest)  

Re: Bus or train from Kanazawa to Takayama? 2017/7/2 14:24
The only advantage would be your ability to stop at Shirakawago. Other than that, luggage is the same. Time taken it almost the same.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus or train from Kanazawa to Takayama? 2017/7/2 15:10
That Pass is not for "Gran-class", lower class "Green" is.
http://www.jreast-shinkansen.com/e7/interior/index.html
http://www.jreast-shinkansen.com/granclass/index.html
(note the volume of music that started automatically)

Basically no need bus fr Kanazawa if not going to Shirakawago where no rail area.
If so, take a Hokuriku Shinkansen until Toyama,
but it depends on timing then take a bus
or conventional line local or LtdExp train "Hida"(not Shinkansn) of JR.
by Oenham (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus or train from Kanazawa to Takayama? 2017/7/2 15:19
Thanks for your replies, fellow travellers (and sorry, I meant Green class, not Gran Class)
by BettyBoop (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus or train from Kanazawa to Takayama? 2017/7/2 17:05
I had to JR Pass 14 day Green for my Tokyo to Kyoto to Takayama to Kanazawa to Tokyo with side trips.

Like what has mentioned above, the only advantage would be if stopping over in Shirakawa-go. I didn't notice the scenery because I took advantage of a quick nap (left Takayama @ 8:20).

I wanted to do several hours stop over on my way to Kanazawa from Takayama and the only way was by bus. Both of my hotels was near the stations. Country Hotel Takayama right across of the Bus Terminal and Hotel Nikko Kanazawa was right across the street. On my last night in Kyoto, I shipped my luggage forward to Tokyo and relied on my carryon bag and back pack for my 3 nights in between. But Bus has ample space in the luggage storage area.

If you decide to stop over in Shirakawa-go, the Bus terminal coin locker storage there is very limited but I think you can go inside and have them hold it for same price. Large size lockers was 800 yen (only takes 100 yens and inside can do money change). All medium size lockers was taken when I arrived. I spent less than 3 hrs in Shirakawa-go and that was enough for me. Arrived 9:40 and departed 12:20. I took the shuttle up to the observatory scenic spot (forgot how much it cost) and walked down to maximize my time.

by hibell77 rate this post as useful

Re: Bus or train from Kanazawa to Takayama? 2017/7/3 14:03
Shirakawago is definitely worth a couple of hours stopover on the way from Kanazawa to Takayama!
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bus or train from Kanazawa to Takayama? 2017/7/6 07:18
Thanks to everyone for your replies
BB
by BettyBoop (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread