Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student first time trip to Tokyo for 8 days 2017/7/7 23:58
Need to know the following:

1) Arrived at Haneda airport at 10:30pm at night. If no delay hopefully can get out of the airport by 11:15 or 11:30. Need to get Nakano station for my accommodation. Like to know whether still can use the trains at that time to reach Nakano station from Haneda airport considering the trains supposed stop at 12 midnight.

2) As a student on a shoestring budget how much do I need to spend a day for 2 meals , lunch & dinner ?

3) I will be mostly be spending time around downtown Tokyo but there will be days I might venture further. Based on that what sort of trains pass do I need to get ?

4) For Mount Fuji what the best & cheapest way to visit for a day trip ?
by mervynwong  

Re: Student first time trip to Tokyo for 8 days 2017/7/9 01:10
1)
It will take about 60min by trains, but with transfer 1 or 2 times.
https://goo.gl/maps/cuwHe3aXbJs
And if the airplane is delayed, taxi fare costs about 10000Y, it is waste.
So change the hotel to not so far location fr HND.
(If you do not exchange to Japanese money "YEN" yet, you cannot purchase a ticket of train.)

2)
It depends on your age and what you want to eat.
Popular Ramen(noodle) shops etc, have to wait, but fast food shops are not.
And if possible, eat breakfast you can buy it at near convenience store.

3)
The transportation network in Tokyo is very complicated.
It is impossible to memorize all of rail map, name of lines and stations,
so please check in advance as much as possible at Google MAP.

4)
Do you want to go exact location of Mt. Fuji?
Although it is understood that it does not go to the top of the mountain,
please check the size of Mt. Fuji again by seeing the map first.
If just want to see it, you can see even from the observatory space in mid Tokyo .
If really want to go nearby, "Lake Kawaguchi" on North or "Hakone" on South usual.

You will definitely despair of your roughly planning, if this goes on.
Ton of same Q posted here already, read all.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-dmiN1c2Vat0/UhAmhVAlmvI/AAAAAAAALlk/TRLRJQm6lao/...
by Elgar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student first time trip to Tokyo for 8 days 2017/7/9 03:43
1. Not all trains stop at midnight. There is a 00:06 monorail from Haneda you can take and arrive at Nakano 01:08.

2. You can buy food cheaply at convenience stores, but the total cost depends on how hungry you are. There are few "fast-food style" restaurants where you can have a meal inexpensively (like: standing noodle shop, Matsuya, set meals at "family restaurants", etc.). Example: one onigiri (rice ball with various fillings) costs 100 to 150 yen, one oden item costs 100-150 yen, beef curry at Sanmaruko (St. Marco) 700 yen, etc.).

3. I recommend you buy 72-hour subway passes at the airport. It is also available in 48 and 24 hours. Subway networks are pretty extensive in Tokyo, you can go to all the usual places a typical tourist would want. I also like subways better than JR trains in Tokyo, because JR trains do not go close to Asakusa (Senso-ji temple) and Sky Tree, but subways do.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html

4. I recommend taking express bus (departs frequently from Shinjuku Bus Terminal, less frequently from other terminals) to Kawaguchiko (Mt Fuji).
by HN0 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student first time trip to Tokyo for 8 days 2017/7/9 12:27
Thank you very much guys !
by mervynwong rate this post as useful

Student first time trip to Tokyo for 8 days 2017/7/9 15:10
As you are a student,I Firstly recommend you to go Todai university.Tokyo Has more than 100 university.After visiting you will make a lot of new Friends,even student From your Home country .
on a shoestring budget how much do I need to spend.........72-hour subway pass=1500円.By subway you can go any place you want to go in Tokyo Metropolis/prefecture.So invest 3000円 For 6 Days of unlimited travel.I went moyan curryもうやんカレ restaurant,where I ate unlimited amount of rice,veg,salad,beef and pork curry for 1000円 per entry.So I suggest you to go this buffet restaurant if possible.
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student first time trip to Tokyo for 8 days 2017/7/12 15:51
Thanks Ron
by mervynwong rate this post as useful

reply to this thread