Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taxi and hitchhike from Shimokita/Osorezan 2017/7/9 06:28
I will be arriving near Shimokita station the evening before I want to visit Osorezan. However, I must catch the 10:26am train out of Shimokita station. I can arrive at Osorezan as early as I need to, but the buses do not cooperate. I will have to taxi and/or hitchhike there. I imagine a taxi would be super easy, but how difficult would it be to have someone offer me a ride at like 6am? Also, getting back, would there be taxis there waiting, and how easy would it be to get a lift back? How much time should I allow to find a ride? I'd want to spend at least one hour there, but would prefer at least two. Thanks.
by jasonlong1212  

Re: Taxi and hitchhike from Shimokita/Osorezan 2017/7/10 02:37
There is nothing if you go there such early in the morning.
Recommend another exact safe plan.

A taxi will pick you up at any time anywhere if you booked.
by Denis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxi and hitchhike from Shimokita/Osorezan 2017/7/10 03:35
I was at Osorezan about a month ago on a Saturday afternoon. Besides the numerous Japanese tour buses and private vehicles, I didn't see a single taxi in the 3 hours that I was there. I even spent an hour sitting at the rest house next to the bus stop and I still didn't see any. I'm sure you could tell your taxi to come back at a certain hour (although I'm sure he'll just wait for you in the parking lot, Osorezan is kind of out there) but don't expect to find one waiting for passengers once you're there.

As for hitchhiking there, I'm not really sure how feasible that is. Shimokita station wasn't that busy even on a weekend, and out of the 30 or so people who got off the train, only a handful got on the bus for Osorezan. I had assumed there would be more but it seems like the hot springs in the area is quite popular.
by Shawn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxi and hitchhike from Shimokita/Osorezan 2017/7/10 22:03
Any idea what the cost might be to have a taxi simply wait for one hour? I might have to rearrange things rather dramatically.
by jasonlong1212 rate this post as useful

Re: Taxi and hitchhike from Shimokita/Osorezan 2017/7/11 03:54
In the past I've always just asked the taxi driver if it's possible to arrange a taxi to return at a certain time. It's up to them if they decide to wait for you there or if they leave and return later. Often a different driver in a different taxi from the same company will appear. Never once has a taxi not shown up (always early) at the specified time. I pay for the journey there and also the journey back, no wait time included.

If that doesn't work, then I'm sure the staff at the temple would be willing to help you call for a taxi. The new rest house next to the bus stop at Osorezan seems to act as a semi tourist info desk, complete with bus timetables on the walls and brochures.
by Shawn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxi and hitchhike from Shimokita/Osorezan 2017/7/11 12:41
Awesome. Thanks for the info. It looks like I will be taking the taxi if no early morning bus route is added before next Autumn.
by jasonlong1212 rate this post as useful

Re: Taxi and hitchhike from Shimokita/Osorezan 2017/7/11 20:36
My wife and I tried to hitchhike once in a small town when no other transport was available to get to a station. Absolutely no luck and had to walk it . Seems Japanese drivers have no clue of the concept .
by Tommmo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread