Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nakasendo Trail (Tsumago to Magome) 2017/7/12 21:20
I am planning on passing through the Kiso Valley in early to mid-December on my way to Nagoya and I am particularly interesting in walking from Tsumago to Magome during this journey. I wanted to know what the expected weather is in this region and the likelihood that there will be snow. Reading other forums suggests that snow can prevent one from participating on this experience as it is considered too dangerous. I also am interested to know what level of difficulty the hike/walk is and whether one requires any special equipment or clothing.
by Tim (guest)  

Re: Nakasendo Trail (Tsumago to Magome) 2017/7/13 13:30
Hi. I did that trip in December a few years back. I was expecting the trail to be a lot colder than it was, in fact it was that warm it was too hot for a jacket, and it was a lot warmer than it was where we were staying (Hotel Kisoji). No snow, and no bears. I taxi'd to Magome, forgot to pay for my coffee there and then only realised after I had climbed to the top of the hill on the trail. Then I spent the rest of the trail wracked with guilt at my larceny.

I dont know whether it was because of my crime, but the experience wasnt what it was hyped up to be. The waterfall is nice and it is a pleasant bushwalk, but it isnt like stepping back in time or anything. I actually thought the trail out of Karuizawa to the lookout was more interesting. That said, I plan to revisit the scene of my crime, have another coffee and this time pay double, then do the walk again to see if I enjoy it more without the weight of my conscience. If you dont expect too much you should have fun.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nakasendo Trail (Tsumago to Magome) 2017/7/13 23:30
We did this trail for 3 weeks ago . I can just say it was one of my most amazing expirience under 3 weeks in Japan. Tranquility, nature and expirience to listen an older jspanese man to sing folk songs for us at tea house! It was amazing! Next time we should try another part of Nakasendo.
by Ekaterina71 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread