Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help mapping out work plans 2017/7/15 09:06
I have always planned on living in Japan for sometime and am finally trying to put the pieces together. I just graduated with a BA(h) in History as well as still having less then 3 years left on a contract with the Canadian Forces which I will see through( I will be stuck in garrison for almost all of it due to it being Canada). I took a course my last year for Japanese and have continued with self study ever since going pretty good as I find myself with a lot of free-time sporadically around the day due to the military's sporadic schedules. The things I need help with is if there's something more I can do to better myself for an application to work in Japan, I've thought about getting some IT certificates for low level tech work in the mean time but don't know if it will be handy since I've got no background in IT to back it on. I know teaching English is one of the most common things to do but I would like to think I would like to have more of a career then just teaching. I have almost 3 years to plan it out and am just looking for advice on what to do besides sitting on my thumbs and only doing 2 hours a study on average a day (I hope to be able to pass my N1 but who knows what will happen). I have also thought about the JET program or the working holiday visa to better my Japanese and get over the culture shock before seriously applying.
I will just be turning 25 (which i think is average or young to move to Japan) when my contract will expire and hopefully saved up around 15-20k if my budgeting skills work (again who knows). I have also been told to go back to school(night classes) to minor in something useful since my major dosent seem to help me.
Thank you, any advice is welcomed.
by Canada173  

Re: Help mapping out work plans 2017/7/15 16:50
So what do you want to do?

JET positions are highly competitive, so if you aren't into teaching anyway, I doubt there is any value in trying for that.

Working holiday visa is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel extensively in a foreign country (in your case Japan) while given a chance to earn some pocket money while you travel through Japan. Look up the Working Holiday program for what kind of job listing they tend to have for people on WH.

I am just not sure if you are really looking for a career in Japan, or for one or at most a few interesting years in Japan.
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Help mapping out work plans 2017/7/17 00:45
Among many other things, such as work experience in your field of expertise and a university degree, N1 will be good. It even gets you additional points if you at some point in time can apply for the point system visa scheme.
Depending on your Japanese level, I would advise to first take N2, so you have at least that one. It doesnt help you for the visa, but it can help to find a job.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread