Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/15 13:43
We will be spending the first 3 nights and the last 4 nights of our 3 week trip to Japan in Tokyo. I'm thinking of spending the first 3 nights in Asakusa or Ueno and the last 4 in Shinjuku.
I'm figuring that at the beginning of the trip we will be jet lagged and tired and wandering around Asakusa, visiting Sensoji, the Skytree and maybe a boat trip down the Sumida river would be more relaxing and plenty to keep us busy.
The last 4 days we will plan to do some exploring of Tokyo and possibly a day trip to Kamakura, Hakone or Mt Takao so I'm thinking somewhere with more convenient access to transportation like Shinjuku would be good.
Never having been to Tokyo I wanted to check out my reasoning. I would be happy to hear if any of you think this is not a good plan, and if so, any suggestions? Also, I don't mind if it's slightly inconvenient to get to and from Narita but don't want to choose an area that is really difficult.
Thank you very much for any feedback you can provide!

by Heidisueelvus  

Re: Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/15 16:48
It is true Shinjuku gives you easier or more direct access to Hakone, Kamakura, and Mt. Takao, so if those are your planned destinations for the second part of your stay in Tokyo, it makes sense to stay in Shinjuku. (But it is not that Asakusa/Ueno is that much less convenient :)) I agree it is a good plan.

by ......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/16 02:16
I don't think that you will have a problem with transportation to the areas you mentioned while in tokyo, While my plan for tokyo is way longer , so I am staying on three different hotels on Tokyo akihabara Tamachi Akasaka, and each of them is for personal reasons (Akihabara because I like walking on the area, Tamachi because on my first trip to japan my hotel was there, Akasaka has a similar reason with tamachi).

I would say pick the area you feel comfortable with.
by Ahmy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/16 03:54
Thank you for your replies! I will stick with my plan.
by Heidisueelvus rate this post as useful

Re: Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/16 23:45
I personally would probably just stay at one location while in Tokyo, no need to move hotels, which isnt very convenient.
For your plan, probably Shinjuku is the best place to stay. You can still get from there with Chuo line quite quickly to the other end of Tokyo, so no need to move.
However if you want to test out different hotels, then yes, your plan seems okay
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/17 01:10
Thank you LikeBike for your response. We are not intending to change hotels during our stay for the sake of experiencing different areas. We have 3 nights in Tokyo at the beginning of our 3 week trip and 4 nights at the end after traveling around Japan.

Re: Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/17 07:50
For you first-time Tokyo visitors to base yourself, I recommend Shinagawa area more than Ueno, Shinjuku and Shibuya areas.

The rail (plus shopping) complexes of Ueno, Shinjuku and Shibuya may be a kind of labyrinth for first-time visitors.

Comparing even just JR stations, you see Shinagawa Station is simpler than the three other stations.
- Map of (JR) Shinagawa Station
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e788.html
- Map of (JR) Ueno Station
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e204.html
- Map of (JR) Shinjuku Station
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e866.html
- Map of (JR) Shibuya Station
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e808.html

When will you travel?
How are your inbound and outbound flights scheduled?
Are you ready to take a bus from Narita Airport [NRT] for about one or two hours?

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/17 08:06
Thank you LikeBike for your response. We are not intending to change hotels during our stay for the sake of experiencing different areas. We have 3 nights in Tokyo at the beginning of our 3 week trip and 4 nights at the end after traveling around Japan.

Re: Does this Tokyo plan make sense? 2017/7/17 09:23
Although the stations are complicated, they have lots of signage and I don't think first timers need to avoid them.

Your plan is good. Enjoy your trip.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread