Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Importing 2002 Dodge Viper 2017/7/20 03:55
I've seen some estimates for other cars at around $10,000, but I want to be sure I don't run into any unexpected issues.

I'm wonder what to expect to pay to import a 2002 Dodge Viper from California to Tokyo. I'm expecting it will pass pollution regulations since it is legal in California, etc. I'm fine using public transportation in Japan so I don't need expedited shipping etc.

I'm not a fan of loud noises so I may get a muffler if there are noise regulations that might be iffy.

What kind of estimate should I expect for importing and shipping, and what other hidden fees might apply (yearly taxes etc.)?

L. Spiro
by L. Spiro (guest)  

Re: Importing 2002 Dodge Viper 2017/7/20 12:29
Where do you live in?

If in LA,CA have Japanese export companies or dealing shops a lot, so ask them first.
If in Japan already, in Yokohama import companies a lot, so ask them first.
(Read the import car magazines at larger book store or buy at online)

Fixed costs for use in Japan :
The owner's tax and automobile inspections will be treated as "new car ",
but only this costs will be 2000 USD/year if no big parts exchange.

If you rent a garage with a shutter in Tokyo,
it costs more than 1500 USD a month, so it is over 18000 USD/year.

Car insurance will vary depending on age, car value, warranty content
but perhaps it will exceed 3000 USD/year.

Can you keep it by your savings?
by SIDDELEY (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Importing 2002 Dodge Viper 2017/7/20 22:08
Regarding parking, just remember that you cannot just park on the street in most cities in Japan. Probably in small villages you can, but nowhere else. So a parking lot, even if with no cover is a must that you will need to pay for.
Also wouldn't it be inconvenient to drive around with a car that has the steering wheel on the wrong side?
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Importing 2002 Dodge Viper 2017/7/21 08:36
I lived in Japan for 7.5 years and now live in California.
Everywhere I lived in Japan had parking, so I am not expecting difficulties there. If I recall correctly it usually added about $100 to the rent.

I imaging being on the wrong side of the car may cause a few difficulties, but most tolls in Japan are set up to work for either side, and I likely won't drive it that often anyway since I am not comfortable driving on that side of the road, not to mention parking in Tokyo.

Insurance seems a bit high. Here it is only $1,500 per year for full coverage. In regards to savings, I am far too young for that. I will be working when I go back, probably returning to Square Enix.

I'll contact some companies that handle shipping to Japan; they probably know all the details.

Thank you,
L. Spiro
by L. Spiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Importing 2002 Dodge Viper 2017/7/21 13:07
Set aside atleast 3-5k USD, the emission test alone is around 2000. It has to get Inspected and pass the Jspec test. You might have to do some modification to your car. Bring it stock should be the best option. the rest of the $ will go into JCI,road tax and insurance and any other cost for you to get it registered. After that you need to register which it is more challenging for foreign cars.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Importing 2002 Dodge Viper 2017/7/21 21:16
Everywhere I lived in Japan had parking, so I am not expecting difficulties there. If I recall correctly it usually added about $100 to the rent.

Do you mean that you expect to have accommodation in Tokyo with parking included? If that's the case, you may be ok but if you have to rent monthly parking somewhere, it will cost WAY in excess of $100/month!

Remember that you will need to have proof of parking arrangements *before* you can get the shaken.
http://aretcars.com/shaken-guide/

If, as you say, you intend to hardly drive it anyway, what exactly would be the point of spending a ton of money to import, register and park the thing anyway?
by But why (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Importing 2002 Dodge Viper 2017/7/22 07:00
Won't a Viper be too wide to park in most places?

Square Enix, hey? I'm very impressed with the name-dropping.
by Gamer (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread