Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel next year 2018 2017/8/13 16:40
Good morning

Please to meet you all, fellow travelers XD.

I'm in need of your help, mates. I'm planning a trip to Japan next year, 2018, by end of April, around Golden Week time.

I have two options: 11 days + 14 days. Most of my interests are around Kanto region, but there are a few locations that I find it hard to go there:
- Atami in Izu Pennisula (I know there's a JR line, but are there any other ways?)
- From Tokyo to both Hakone and Fuji Five Lakes area (plan to visit Oshino Hakkai & a few others). I find a few options with highway buses and Japan Bus Pass, but not sure which ones are more applicable.
- Is it possible to visit Kyoto-Osaka-Nara-Kyoto? How many days should I spend, consider that they all have too many attractions?

Please note that I'm partially travelling on budget. That is, I don't mind spend a few extra cashes, but not too much. Hence my current blockade @@.

Much appreciate for any suggestions you guys could advise. I'm completely new in planning trip on my own (used to use tour operator all the time @@ until I have enough with limited time)

Kind regards
by FirstPrince (guest)  

Re: Travel next year 2018 2017/8/18 22:51
No one has yet responded, so let me try my luck.

Much appreciate for any suggestions you guys could advise. I'm completely new in planning trip on my own (used to use tour operator all the time @@ until I have enough with limited time)

Travel planning isn't that difficult, specially now, where there is google maps and similar web pages around that make it easy to find. If you want to be easy on your self you might plan out your itinerary and then book hotels through a travel agency. It is obviously totally doable over the internet, but if you want less stress that's an option.

I'm in need of your help, mates. I'm planning a trip to Japan next year, 2018, by end of April, around Golden Week time.

In Golden Week, make sure to book hotels ahead and if you are travelling on the key GW days, try to avoid long distance travels. E.g. as you plan to go to Kyoto area, don't do that train ride at the beginning / end of GW, OR have your seat reserved well in advance. I think reservation opens a month before.

I have two options: 11 days + 14 days. Most of my interests are around Kanto region, but there are a few locations that I find it hard to go there:

The longer the better, but this will obviously depend on your budget.

- Atami in Izu Pennisula (I know there's a JR line, but are there any other ways?)

Don't be hard on yourself. JR railways has built a train track right there for you to come from central Tokyo to Atami, why would you want to use any other travel option? I am pretty sure that there are other options, but none of them (including rental car) will be as convenient as the train. The question is though what do you want to do IN Atami? Izu Peninsula is very nice, but difficult in access without a car. It is doable, but you will miss out the best parts of the peninsula.

- Is it possible to visit Kyoto-Osaka-Nara-Kyoto? How many days should I spend, consider that they all have too many attractions?

No, there is a new law that prohibits categorically any tourists in Kyoto, Osaka and Nara! (sarcasm off)

How many days to spend there depends totally on your interests. You are crazy for temples, then a week in Kyoto and Nara is the minimum. You like amusement parks, then probably a day at Universal park in Osaka is your thing. Have a look at all the possible attractions you want to visit in Kanto and Kansai and then decide. If you are left with too few days for Kyoto area (because you mentioned your main interest is Kanto), then just leave that for your next trip and explore Kanto this time. Your trip, your decision ;-)

Please note that I'm partially travelling on budget. That is, I don't mind spend a few extra cashes, but not too much. Hence my current blockade @@.

Well, this general statement doesn't help me a lot in providing advise. So the only thing I would say, that the less you travel (I mean less train rides), the lower your budget will be. So an other argument for staying in the Kanto area. But Kyoto and Nara are definitely worth a visit.

Enjoy the planning and your trip to Japan!

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread