Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

6 Days Chubu by self-driving 2017/8/13 20:25
Hi, we will be visiting Chubu area in October 21 for 6 days 5 nights by self-driving.
We will arriving on October 21 at 14:45 at Narita airport. Is it possible that to pick up the car from airport and drive straight to Mt. Fuji and stay 1 night at Mt. Fuji ??
Appreciate if you could give some suggestions in our itinerary by self driving. The details will be down below:
D1 Arrival and pick up car to start our journey to Mt. Fuji (1 night)
D2 Morning sightseeing in Mt. Fuji, after lunch travel to Takayama (1night)
D3 At Takayama, we would go sightseeing before proceeding to Shirakawa-go and Gokayama (1 night)
D4 In the early morning , we will proceed to Toyama, and visit Kuro Alpine Route and back to Toyama (1night)
D5 From Toyama, we will head over to Nagano / Matsumoto (1night) (we intend to return car at this point)
D6 On this day we will travel from Matsumoto, to Tokyo by bullet train and continue by an airport train or a coach to Haneda Airport for our midnight flight / ETD: 00:40

Remarks: Please advise how to book or buy the Alpine Route tickets or package.

Thank you! / Fon
by Kokkaren  

Re: 6 Days Chubu by self-driving 2017/8/14 07:05
To me your plan seems to be slightly overpacked. Too much driving not enough time for actually sightseeing.
Regarding Narita to Fuji, I don't see a problem in doing that drive on the afternoon as long as you are prepared to get possibly stuck in traffic while crossing Tokyo in the early afternoon.
Also there is no "bullet" train to Matsumoto. Just normal train for Tokyo. I think it brings you directly to Shinjuku from where you can take Yamanote to Shinagawa and the in to Haneda airport.
If Shinkansen travel is something you would like to do, you would either need to go from Toyama to Kanazawa (nice place as well) and then back from Kanazawa by Shinkansen to Tokyo. This would mean you could leave the car in Toyama but no visit to Matsumoto but instead Kanazawa. Both of these places are nice, so if you want to stick with Matsumoto that's fine as long as you are not too keen on the Shinkansen.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Chubu by self-driving 2017/8/16 13:37
Doing a car rental and drop off in separate areas will be quite expensive. Why not rent the car in somewhere like Hakone and drop it off there on the way back? That way you can avoid the traffic around Tokyo and won't have to pay the extra fees to have it driven back.

As the other posters have mentioned, that is quite a lot of driving and not much time to explore. If you don't mind being in the car most of the time I suppose it would be ok, but if you are coming in winter a lot of those areas could very easily be affected by weather conditions and traffic.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Chubu by self-driving 2017/8/16 13:39
Oops sorry, I just realized you will be here in Oct. So the weather would not be as much of a problem.
by Gigi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Chubu by self-driving 2017/8/20 17:21
Thank for your kind reply. appreciated.
However, please take a look at our revised itinerary and advise as below:

D1 A.rrive Narita at 14:40hours and follow to Nagano by Shinkansen, 1night at Nagano
D2 Nagano - kurobe alpine route (tateyama) / start from Nagano and end at Toyama (1night at Toyama)
D3 Toyama (intend to rent a car from Toyama) self drive to takayama & shirakawa, 1 night at shirakawa
D4 Shirakawa - kanazawa
D5 Kanazawa (intento return car at Kanazawa ) 2night in Kanazawa
D6 Kanazawa to Tokyo by Shinkansen in the morning and shopping at Tokyo city area before proceed to Haneda airport by airport train or coach in late evening.

please also advise me:
1) is that possible to arrange day trip to Mount Fuji on day 6 after arrived Tokyo from Kanazawa ??
2) how much will it cost for the Shinkansen ride ??
3) how should we make bookings for the alpine route ticket or package ??
4) is that possible to stay at tateyama area on day 2 instead of Toyama ??

your kind comment is much much appreciated....☺
by Kokkaren rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Chubu by self-driving 2017/8/27 13:21
Hi. We are doing something similar in Mid November. Can I ask if you found a good deal for the rental car and if you have a drop off fee added?
thank you
by Tommmo rate this post as useful

Re: 6 Days Chubu by self-driving 2017/8/27 17:09
Yes, we used to book with Nissan rental car or rental car.com and there is an extra charge if drop off point is different.
by Fon (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread