Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Outdoors during March 2017/8/14 13:13
What are some outdoors activities to do during March?

I have a friend visiting in March who isn't a city person.
We love the countryside, hiking, off the beaten path attractions, etc.
Unfortunately the majority of mountains and hikes I enjoy are closed in March.

Do you have any recommendations?
We are up for anything - except Okinawa.
by Bridget Bishop (guest)  

Re: Outdoors during March 2017/8/14 20:01
Cycling could be an option for an outdoor activity. If you want some information on that I put together a list of possible routes. They are all quite flat (as I am not a strong climber). The best probably is Shimanami Kaido to Shikoku.

Check out some options here: http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.jp/2017/06/overview-map.html

Skiing is also an option, e.g. Hokkaido but potentially also still in Nagano (Hokkaido would seem to be certain, Nagano more a risky option).

Visiting some temples / shrines in a more country side location could be good, e.g. Kamakura, Enoshima, but also more off the beaten track like Chichibu, where you can do the 34 kannon pilgrimage, and I would think that most of this in March is totally snow free. Nikko is also quite countrysidish. I guess you can come up with many more examples of smaller places to visit.

I also would not rule out hiking. There are options closer to the sea, e.g. Izu or more in the South, e.g. the island before Kagoshima: Sakurajima, or even Yakushima where weather should already be okay.
See it as an opportunity for you to discover new hiking places in Japan ;-)

Obviously talking about March, onsen spring to mind. You will find information on great onsen location on the web.

Enjoy with your friends travelling in Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Outdoors during March 2017/8/14 20:46
March is a great time to be outdoors in Japan. The early mornings can be near freezing but it quickly warms up. @Likebike has already mentioned cycling and that I agree. If you are near the Shimanami Kaido then the Kibi plain cycling route is pleasant as well with bicycle hire available. Nearby there are gardens like Ritsurin in Takamatsu and Korakuen in Okayama and castles like Bitchu Matsuyama to hike to. All of the above in one area and there will be similar elsewhere. So many choices!
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Outdoors during March 2017/8/14 20:49
March is a great time to be outdoors in Japan.

Depends where in Japan; I will never forget the time when I had to walk to my uni entrance exam under heavy snow.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Outdoors during March 2017/8/15 09:47
In Kyushu, hiking is perfect in March.
Higher trails/mountains still might have some white fluffy stuff, lower altitude trails are just awesome with early blossoms. Check out: Alishan on the Move, March postings.
by Alishan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread