Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

32 full days itinerary. Suggestions and help 2017/8/15 08:06
Hey, everyone. I hope you are doing great.

I need your precious help.

We are going to visit Japan the period from 26/10/17 (arrival at Tokyo) to 28/11/17 (departure from Tokyo)

We are really confused on how to split our time. We made the first plan but we really need your help and your suggestion on if this is possible and if we should change something.

Here we go.

26/10/17 Tokyo: Arrival at Tokyo in the afternoon.
27/10/17 Explore Tokyo
28/10/17 Explore Tokyo
29/10/17 Explore Tokyo
30/10/17 Day trip to Kamakura - Back to Tokyo
31/10/17 Day trip to Yokohama - Back in Tokyo
01/11/17 Nikko
02/11/17 Nikko and around
03/11/17 Nikko to Hakone, overnight at Hakone
04/11/17 Hakone to Fuji 5 lakes, overnight there
05/11/17 Fuji 5 lakes to Matsumoto. There we are thinking to leave our luggage to the station and see the castle, we also wonder if it is possible to leave our luggage and visit Narai if it is possible. If we just see the castle our plan is to continue to Nagano and sleep there.
06/11/17 Visit the Monkey Park and kurobe Gorge, continue our way to Kanazawa and sleep there (alternative stay again to Nagoya)
07/11/17 Kanazawa
08/11/17 Visit Shirakawa- Go and continue our way to Takayama (sleep there)
09/11/17 Explore Takayama and then travel to Magome and overnight there (Nakatsugawa). Is it better to go to Magome via Nagoya or directly from Takayama?
10/11/17 Doing the trekking between Tsumago and Magome and leave for Nagoya. If it is possible visit Korankei and then leave in the afternoon for Himeji. Overnight in Himeji
11/11/17 Visit Himeji Castle and may Mount Shosha and then continue our trip to Hiroshima and after our visit to Hiroshima, pass to Miyajima where we will sleep.
12/11/17 explore Miyajima and in the afternoon leave for Fukuoka.
13/11/17 Day trip to Nagasaki and back to Fukuoka
14/11/17 Day trip to Takachiho and back to Fukuoka or maybe to Kurokawa onsen and sleep there. (Could it be possible to visit Takachiho in that time?)
15/11/17 Going from Fukuoka to Okayama, from there we would like to visit Iya Valley, could this be possible in the middle of November? Overnight to Okayama or continue to Osaka and sleep there
16/11/17 Osaka
17/11/17 Day trip to Kumano and back to Osaka.
18/11/17 Kyoto
19/11/17 Kyoto
20/11/17 Kyoto
21/11/17 Day trip to Nara - Back to Kyoto
22/11/17 Day trip to Mount Koya and overnight there
23/11/17 Day trip to Sakurai or Ise?
24/11/17 We are still staying in Kyoto because we have booked from 18/11 to 25/11 (we booked it long account. It is a cheap room so we don't care to sleep elsewhere and leave our luggage there). Is it worth it to spend another day in Kyoto or to do a day trip?
25/11/17 We still don't know
26/11/17 We still don't know
27/11/17 Return to Tokyo
28/11/17 Departure from Tokyo.

What's your opinion? Is it possible to do it? Do you have any suggestion to add or remove from our program?
We know that in 32 days we may be able to visit some places in the north but there are so many things to see in Japan that we think we should sacrifice something.

Due to our long stay, is it worth it to Buy the 21 days Japan rail + a 7 days Japan rail? Or Just a 21 days and then with individual tickets or Bus pass?

Thank you very very much
by VasileiosDosis  

Re: 32 full days itinerary. Suggestions and help 2017/8/15 11:09
Way too little time in Hiroshima!
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: 32 full days itinerary. Suggestions and help 2017/8/15 11:38
Hey VasileiosDosis,

Everyone will have an idea of too much or too little time in places, you know what you want to see.
I would suggest (and this is the only time) instead of staying in Hakone for the 3 Nov have a look at Fujinomiya. There will be an autumn festival over 3-5 November at the Fujisan Sengen Shrine http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6367.html otherwise Hakone would be the pick.

Otherwise I'd recommend plugging your itinerary into an app like Rome2Rio (https://www.rome2rio.com/) and see what transport options/timings it brings up.

Overall A JR Pass will probably be useful but it is of limited value in some cities, like Kyoto, so I would do a 21 day from the start(ish) of your trip and then local tickets or look at a a regional JR pass. The calculation is up to you. I find the pass really handy and do recommend it.
by SabApril (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 32 full days itinerary. Suggestions and help 2017/8/15 11:53
Here my thoughts on your trip. I would say overall quite okay, with a few possible tweeks:

26/10/17 Tokyo: Arrival at Tokyo in the afternoon.
27/10/17 Explore Tokyo
28/10/17 Explore Tokyo
29/10/17 Explore Tokyo
30/10/17 Day trip to Kamakura - Back to Tokyo
31/10/17 Day trip to Yokohama - Back in Tokyo

I would distribute the day trips more evenly across your days in Tokyo, but also make it depend on the weather.

06/11/17 Visit the Monkey Park and kurobe Gorge, continue our way to Kanazawa and sleep there (alternative stay again to Nagoya)

Monkey park and Kurobe Gorge and on to Kanazawa all in one day seems to be too much. For Kurobe Gorge, please check if it is possible to get the train tickets reserved, as I would think early Nov is high season for momiji. In the monkey park there will be no snow at that time of the year, so it is kind of less impressive, but I guess the place is still nice with the mountains an everything.

11/11/17 Visit Himeji Castle and may Mount Shosha and then continue our trip to Hiroshima and after our visit to Hiroshima, pass to Miyajima where we will sleep.

Agree with @firas, that you will not have time to visit Hiroshima on that day. It depends on your interests if you want to skip Hiroshima entirely or not.

14/11/17 Day trip to Takachiho and back to Fukuoka or maybe to Kurokawa onsen and sleep there. (Could it be possible to visit Takachiho in that time?)

Are you renting a car? I have not been to Takachiho, but to Kurokawa onsen, driving there from Matsumoto. I would say Takachiho and also Kurokawa-onsen are not day trips from Fukuoka, but places where to stay. And I think they are exclusive of each other. I.e. either one or the other. Not both on the same day. Note that the main street from Matsumoto to Asu is still closed as the bridge collapsed in the earthquake last year, so you need to take smaller streets.
I definitely liked Kurokawa-onsen, and stayed there two nights, spending one day hoping from onsen to onsen. Very nice experience.
I also still have Takachiho on my list of "to dos"

18/11/17 Kyoto
19/11/17 Kyoto
20/11/17 Kyoto
21/11/17 Day trip to Nara - Back to Kyoto
22/11/17 Day trip to Mount Koya and overnight there
23/11/17 Day trip to Sakurai or Ise?
24/11/17 We are still staying in Kyoto because we have booked from 18/11 to 25/11 (we booked it long account. It is a cheap room so we don't care to sleep elsewhere and leave our luggage there). Is it worth it to spend another day in Kyoto or to do a day trip?

Well, you can do Osaka in a day trip from Kyoto. (If there is something interesting in Osaka...).
Again I would space out the day trips over the time in Kyoto.
For Mount Koya, you need a night, so it's not a day trip. So possibly as you don't know yet what to do from 25 - 26/Nov, you could do the Koya trip on those days?
For me personally there can never be enough time in Kyoto and Nara.

25/11/17 We still don't know
26/11/17 We still don't know

Possibilities include:
- Koya-san (see above)
- Izu peninsula (best with a car from Atami or an other train station)
- if you wanted to lighten up some of your earlier travel days, you could do Magome & Tsumago on the return to Tokyo freeing up a bit of time in the earlier days of your travel to allow you time in Hiroshima. Also Shikoku is really overlooked. You will not have time in your itinerary for Shikoku, but if you manage an extra day or two between Himeiji and Hiroshima, you could visit Naoshima or Teshima, both very nice small islands, with very interesting art.

We know that in 32 days we may be able to visit some places in the north but there are so many things to see in Japan that we think we should sacrifice something.

Both the North and Shikoku are often overlooked, but it is your decision and you have definitely included a good number of highlights. Travelling in November, I personally would also shun away from the North, but I have to admit that I know little about Tohoku at all.

Due to our long stay, is it worth it to Buy the 21 days Japan rail + a 7 days Japan rail? Or Just a 21 days and then with individual tickets or Bus pass?

I have no idea about JR rail passes. But in general they pay off if you do a lot of travelling around, so for the days you are at Kyoto / Tokyo only the pass wont pay off, so maybe a 21 day pass might be sufficient. I also read that there is some Kansai pass, but I don't know if it is worthwhile for trip there.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 32 full days itinerary. Suggestions and help 2017/8/15 19:43
Thank you very much for your suggestions and tips.

It really bothers us how to distribute our time in Alps and also how to move from the alps to Hiroshima.

It is not a problem to spend more time to see the Kurobe gorge without haste.

Then we thought of Himeji after Magome- Tsumago so we can split the distance to Hiroshima. Indeed our trip to Hiroshima seems rushed so we will rearrange so we can spend more time there. Any ideas how to make it from the Alps area to Hiroshima with a possible overnight stay between those 2 areas?

Also, any ideas how to distribute our days so we can visit Kurokawa onsen and Tahachiko? We though Fukuoka as a base because it will have more options for transportation, but we may think it wrong.

Iya valley looks like a great place but again we wonder if it is possible to do it as a day trip from Okayama. Okayama seems the best option for transportation to Iya Valley.

Thank you again, all of you. Your help is really appreciated. It seems sooo hard to choose where to go and even more hard to find the best possible transportation. Take into consideration that the sun will go down early at that time of the year, makes it even more difficult.
by VasileiosDosis rate this post as useful

reply to this thread