Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

clothes to pack for Takayama and Kyoto trip 2017/8/16 19:07
Hi, I'm from Singapore. This would be my 3rd time to Japan. But usually my husband and I would go in early Spring so more or less we knew what to pack but this time we are going to Takayama and Kyoto from 30th Sept to 7th Oct 2017. My husband and I would be staying in Takayama from 30th Sept to 2nd Oct and the rest of the days we stay in Kyoto. And we are not sure what are the suitable clothes to pack for this trip. I am thinking to pack some light long sleeved and quarter sleeved tops and leggings, a Timberland waterproof windbreaker, and a denim jacket to combat coolness and rain. For my husbnd: long sleeved and short sleeved t-shirts, some jeans and a windbreaker. So what do you think? Are the clothings appropriate? Please advise. Thank you.
by dragon76  

Re: clothes to pack for Takayama and Kyoto trip 2017/8/17 14:34
Hi, it depends on the year but I think you might find Kyoto to be still pretty warm (though one year I went at that time and it was pretty pleasant - a bit humid but nothing like Singapore) and cooling down in the evenings. I've been to Takayama a few times but not the beginning of October, though I havent found it really any cooler than other places, so I think what you are planning on is ideal. There are plenty of places to buy clothes if you dont have enough, but you definitely wont need anything heavy.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: clothes to pack for Takayama and Kyoto trip 2017/8/18 22:55
well, I would suggest to check the weather forecast on 29th Sept and pack accordingly. Kyoto will likely still be nicely warm (not hot, just nice).

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: clothes to pack for Takayama and Kyoto trip 2017/8/19 02:35
Easter and Autumn are fairly similar.
Layers, and a light waterproof.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: clothes to pack for Takayama and Kyoto trip 2017/8/19 02:41
how about a waterproof trench coat?
by dragon76 rate this post as useful

Re: clothes to pack for Takayama and Kyoto trip 2017/8/19 16:51
Hi, what clothes to pack for early January? Will it be snowing by then? We're visiting both cities in the first week of the new year.
by EmyC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: clothes to pack for Takayama and Kyoto trip 2017/8/19 17:04
Hi. Takayama is likely to have snow but snow in Kyoto is not common. I actually find Kyoto colder than other places in winter and hotter in summer, regardless for both places you will need a decent heavy jacket.

Everyone tells you to layer but personally I think it is a mistake in Japan because the transport and restaurants and shops are like 28 degrees celsius so you have to dump 5 layers as soon as you come inside and end up with a mound of clothes next to you. I just have one super good jacket (like Canada Goose or something) that covers your backside, and gloves and a scarf, then wear it over a tee shirt and cargoes.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread