Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/18 20:06
Hi, my hubby and I are going to Takayama, Kyoto and Osaka this coming October. Can I pack a waterproof trench coat, a couple of denim jackets, thin long sleeved and quarter sleeved tops, leggings and a pair of Timberland boots. Can a trench coat be worn in early October as the weather forecast reports rain in Takayama and humid heat in both Osaka and Kyoto in October. Would I look absurd in a trench coat?
Please advise.
by dragon76  

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/19 10:18
Ive been in October. Not much rain or humity.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/19 11:36
As suggested previously, check out the actual weather forecast a day of so before departure and pack accordingly.

If it rains, you will not look strange in a water proof trench coat or anything like it. Japanese normally just use umbrellas, but water proof trench coat is totally fine. If it does not rain, your trench coat most likely will be way to warm, so leave it behind in your hotel to wait for you there faithfully while you explore Japan.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/19 11:54
Weather is hard to predict, but October 2016 was still quite warm.
Trench coat and denim jackets would be too heavy and bulky.
I go with one polyester (modern soft kind) hooded jacket for outer wear - it is light and you can roll it up, plus it does not wrinkle. I may pack one long sleeve shirt at most, and the rest can be short/half sleeves.
And if it rains, just go into the nearest convenience store and buy an umbrella, less than 500 yen (some hotels will lend you an umbrella for free).

by 10key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/19 14:26
As a seasonal fashion item, the trench coat is appropriate in October. Traditionally in Japan, you are to switch from cool clothing to warm clothing once it's October. If you are too warm, you can take your coat off and carry it around. You won't look odd.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/19 16:59
I've always associated Trench coats with 1970s spaghetti westerns or the tragic Columbine high school. But whatever floats yer boat...
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/19 21:48
Trench coats have been trendy in the recent years.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%83%88%E3%83%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%81...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/20 03:54
Hi, Uco
Thank you very much for the trench coat link. I will just pack and standby the trench coat bought from Timberland. Hopefully I could use it for this Japan trip.
by dragon76 rate this post as useful

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/20 13:26
While trenchcoat maybe be in fashion. Wearing them on a low 17-25 high degree days seems overkill. A light jacket that can be removed by 10am is probably more suited.

Maybe in Takayama where the temp is 2ish degrees lower the trenchcoat might suit.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wearing a waterproof trench coat 2017/8/20 20:28
I've been to Japan during October, it's not really cold enough to bring the mentioned Jacket, like someone has mentioned, bring one of those polyester wind type jackets, thin and can be rolled up, lite to carry.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread