Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving holiday in Central Japan 2017/8/19 08:53
Hi everyone

We are going to Japan in late November to self drive around Central Japan.

Any advice on our itinerary would be appreciated.

Day 1 Arrive at Narita and stay first night.
Day 2 Pick up car at Nissan depot as car is equipped with ETC card unit. Then onto Nikko.
Day 3 on the romantic road - Nakanojo (shima onsen)
Day 4 & 5 Matsumoto
Day 6. Takayama
Day 7. Magome
Day 8&9. Fujikawaguchiko
Day 10. Yokohama
Day 11. Drop off car at Narita - Tokyo
Day 12&13. Tokyo

by Lyn G (guest)  

Re: Driving holiday in Central Japan 2017/8/19 11:03
Nissan isn't the only rental car place where you can get an ETC card. I know for sure that Toyota has it too. So if you want to compare prices ... At Toyota you need to ask for the card and then they will give you one. At least at Toyota the cars also all come with a navigator which you can ask to be set in English (or possibly also other languages). Okay, now I really sound like a Toyota commercial 🙄

The course looks fine to me, but I have to admit that I haven't done a lot of self driving in Kanto / Chubo area. Just remember that when planning for the time you need between each destination that speed limits a very low in Japan. Even on highways it's only 100 km/h: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_Japan

Actual speed on highways however is more like 130 km/h. But you would be up for a hefty fine.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread