Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

14 days in japan in november 2017/8/19 18:48
we are a couple with a 2.5 year old kid.
we planned our tour to start from Tokyo - Japanese Alps - Kyoto - Japanese Alps - Tokyo.
we love city tours, nature, culture and heretage.
the plan is:
2 nights in Tokyo
3 nights in Hakuba and Tateyama
2 nights in majome area
2 nights in Kyoto
2 nights in Fuji - Hakone
2 nights in Tokyo

what do you think ? how is the plan ?
we plan to rent a car , how is driving in japan ? first time driving from the right side. what is the best thing to do for renting a car ?
we plan for cheap accommodation like hostels, bed&breakfast, airbnb.
we plan for 200 - 250 dollars for a day including accommodation.

what do you think ?
thank you so much for yout help
by Orwa (guest)  

Re: 14 days in japan in november 2017/8/21 02:15
(I am assuming you mean Magome) I would not hire a car as Japan is so well served by public transport. Personally I would drop the Magome stop and stay 4 nights in Kyoto instead. There is so much to see there you could stay a week & not see it all. I would take a day trip to Nara on one of those days. I really like Magome but it is a small village and there is nothing to do there but to hike along the nakasendo or to sit quietly and relax ( I have done both :-) )
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days in japan in november 2017/8/21 02:45
What time of year are you thinking of going? Have you priced out rental cars? I rented a car with a friend (who was living in Japan and had driven in Japan before) and found out from her all about the expenses of renting a car. Usually there are quite high tolls for using expressways and if you don't use expressways, depending on where you are trying to go, the route can take a very long time.

Depending on time of year and where you are driving snow can also be an issue. We took a road in late April that had only just reopened for the Summer and encountered a heavy snowfall.

I think you also need to think about how much travel you're going to really be able to do with a 2.5 year old and really think on this. I love going to Japan with my daughter, but it's really different than when I went on my own and while I always try to do things I want to do also, I have to take her energy levels and needs into consideration too.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days in japan in november 2017/8/21 02:56
oops, I see now you're going in November. I'd really rethink some of your plan, driving to Hakuba and then driving to Tatateyama and then driving to Magome or Kyoto. If Ski season starts in Late November there could be snow earlier and there are places you are driving that could get snow. After my experience, I would not want to risk it.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days in japan in november 2017/8/21 11:09
I strongly agree with Mr.Stan Norrell advice. You don't need to spend much time in Magome, a day trip is enough.
Instead, you should explore in Kansa region, not only Kyoto but Osaka,Nara and maybe Kobe as well.
You don't need to hopping around hotels there. You can stay in Kyoto and use JR lines or other local trains to visit other cities.
Since I am a citizen of Kobe, hope you can visit Kobe if you have time!
You can use a Shinkansen rail pass to Osaka and Shin kobe.
Enjoy your stay.
by hazecchi rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days in japan in november 2017/8/21 16:50
@Hazecchi. I really enjoyed Kobe much more than I expected. I really was expecting to use it as a base to visit the Tetsujin 28 statue & Himeji castle but really liked the place.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days in japan in november 2017/8/21 17:35
I think train will be easier (and quite possibly cheaper) for most of your journey, especially with a young child. The child can travel free (see conditions - they need to share your seat), and there will be two of you to occupy the child, rather than in a car where one will be driving (and the other may be navigating whilst trying to keep the child occupied at the same time...)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 14 days in japan in november 2017/8/21 18:26
I wouldn't do hostels with a 2.5yo.

As others have said, you don't really need a car as all the locations you are going to have good public transport.

If you do decide on the car option, be aware of extra costs like tolls, petrol, accommodation parking or lack of parking at accommodation.

If you did decide to go by train on your journey. IF you can fit in your Tokyo to Tateyama, to Kyoto, to Fuji/Hakone within a 7 day period, then a 7 day JR pass will pay itself off nicely. Then you just need to pay to travel around Tokyo/Fuji/Hakone which can be done on inexpensive regional passes.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread