Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

second Japan trip October 2017/8/22 04:54
Hi All,
Headed back to Japan and wanted to make sure my itinerary works and see if there are any changes I should make while I still can.

Fly Out Wednesday 18
Arrive in Fukuoka Thursday afternoon 3pm
Oct 19 Friday - Fly to Yakushima
Oct 20 Saturday - Yakushima, take last Jetfoil back to Kagoshima
Oct 21 -Kagoshima
Oct 22 -Fukuoka
Oct 23 - Nagasaki
Oct 24 - Miyajima
Oct 25 - Okayama: Bitchu-Takahashi Matsuyama Castle
Oct 26 - Kyoto
Oct 27 -Kyoto
Oct 28 - Hakone
Oct 29 - Tokyo
Oct 30 - DisneySea Halloween
Oct 31 - Tokyo Disneyland Halloween
November 1 -Ghibli
Nov 2 - Tokyo
Nov 3 - Tokyo - fly home

I know the start is rushed, but I have been to Kyoto before, so I figure there is some down time there if we are tired from our fast pace. Going with my sister who would like to do Nagasaki, Miyajima, Tokyo - Day trip, and Halloween at both Disney parks when people can dress up as Disney characters. Has anyone been at the Disney parks during Halloween week? Any comments or suggestions? Long lines? The crowd calendar is above average but not high.
I would like to see Yakushima, have a day in Fukuoka, Okayama: Bitchu-Takahashi Matsuyama Castle, and go to Ghibli.

Starting off with a 14 day JR Pass on October 21. Flying in to FUK and out of Tokyo.

Thanks for all your help.
by Cinderella (guest)  

Re: second Japan trip October 2017/8/22 18:09
That Kagoshima to Miyajima 4 day block is pretty rushed. You really need to add a day somewhere in there to allow you so see more sights and be less rushed.

Kagoskima to Fukuoka = 2hrs train, Fukuoka to Nagasaki = 2hrs train, Nagasaki to Miyajima = 4hrs train/shinkansen/train/ferry.

If you are departing around 8am-9am each day, you have lost so much time with travel and hotel check ins every day.

by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: second Japan trip October 2017/8/22 18:20
I haven't done the first part of the trip, but it seems rushed. Yakushima needs at least 2 days, so it depend on your flight when you arrive to make it worthwhile.
Kagoshima to Fukuoka will take a lot of time, so no time to see the city. Same with Nagasaki. To me this city seems like a city you would want to spend at least 2 days at.

Cannot really say anything about Miyajima and Okayama.

However the second part of your itinerary, since you say it is your second time and I figure you will have already seen quite a bit from Kyoto and Tokyo is doable. I myself did Hakone on a shinkansen daytrip from Kyoto start and Tokyo finish and I had enough time to do the roundtrip.
Tokyo Disney parks can be done in 1 day each, hence the days are not on the weekends/you do NOT want to do every single thing (3/4 however is fine!) I suggest seeing the Fantasmic show, the Big Band Beat show and the outdoor stage show (the last one might be a bit childish, but I loved it anyways) at Disneysea and the Nightime shows in Disneyland.

For Ghibli I remember you NEED to buy a ticket in advance, because tickets will sell out, so better book them well ahead! (Ask the hotel staff to do so)
by Mikichan1991 rate this post as useful

Re: second Japan trip October 2017/8/22 22:26
As previous posters said, your first days until you arrive to Kyoto are too rushed. I would probably skip Fukuoka from the list, if I had to decide on skipping something.

Miyajima is very nice and deserves the best part of a day. And Okayama is famous for its beautiful Japanese garden, and as I think this will be probably your only Japanese garden on the tour, I think it will be a highlight.

Instead of Disney you might consider to go to Universal park in Osaka. I colleague told me that for Halloween they have extra spooky activities.

Regarding Ghibli, yes you need to buy the tickets WELL in advance. In Japan the ticket sale starts on the day 10 of the previous month (i.e. on Sep 10th for October) and within a few HOURS most if not all tickets sell out. So asking the hotel to reserve it is not an option. (It is also not an option from a practical perspective as you need to buy it at a Loppi machine in a Lawson conbini). However, as tourist you can buy Ghibli tickets through JBT. It might be already too late to do this now, I think their deadline starts like 3 months before, but try that. Do NOT go to Ghibli museum without a ticket. You will not be granted access.

Enjoy your trip to Japan.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread