Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/22 12:11
Hello, this is our forth trip to Japan (love it!) and want to see/do something different. I have two sets of itineraries and would appreciate if someone can advise whether the route (don't want too many transfers) and time at each destination is reasonable. I'm travelling with two kids (youngest is 5yo), so don't want to spend too much time travelling. Would also appreciate feedback whether the JR pass would provide access to these places.

20/09/2017 Wed Tokyo Arrive 10pm
21/09/2017 Thur Tokyo
22/09/2017 Fri Tokyo
23/09/2017 Sat Tokyo
24/09/2017 Sun Tokyo
25/09/2017 Mon Tokyo - Nagoya
26/09/2017 Tue Nagoya
27/09/2017 Wed Nagoya - Takayama
28/09/2017 Thur Takayama
29/09/2017 Fri Takayama - Hirayu Onsen
30/09/2017 Sat Hirayu Onsen - Kamikochi
1/10/2017 Sun Kamikochi - Nikko
2/10/2017 Mon Depart 9am

Alternatively:
20/09/2017 Wed Tokyo Arrive 10pm
21/09/2017 Thur Tokyo
22/09/2017 Fri Tokyo
23/09/2017 Sat Tokyo - Kamakura
24/09/2017 Sun Kamakura - Izu Peninsula
25/09/2017 Mon Izu Peninsula - Nagoya
26/09/2017 Tue Nagoya
27/09/2017 Wed Nagoya - Nagano
28/09/2017 Thur Nagano
29/09/2017 Fri Nagano - Tokyo
30/09/2017 Sat Tokyo
1/10/2017 Sun Tokyo
2/10/2017 Mon Depart 9am

Places of interest includes: nature/scenery, animals, amusement (for kids), hot spring

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks, Tanya
by Tanya (guest)  

Re: 12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/22 17:34
1) Did you go to Tokyo before? You seem to be spending a fair bit of time there
2) Itinerary 1 - are you sure you can get to the airport from Nikko for a 9am departure?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/22 17:53
Thank you Winter Visitor.

Yes, we have been to Tokyo 2 times before. Taking the kids to Disneyland again and thought we'd visit a few more of the places we've been to before. Can cut it by a day or so if there are other options.

How far is Nikko from Narita? I was under the impression it was close. May need to rethink it then.

How does itinerary 2 sound?

Thanks,
Tanya
by Tanya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/22 18:17
You can use google maps or hyperdia to check distances and travel times.

Nikko is about 2-2.5 hours out of Tokyo, then you need more time to get to the airports. another 60 minutes to Narita.

I dont think a JR pass will be viable for either of your journeys. But you can use hyperdia to check the costs of single tickets, and see if it does or doesn't.

Most JR railway company maps readily available on any JR company website shows which lines are available to use. From your list, Kamikochi, Izu Pen and Hiryu Onsen cannot be accessed by JR serives.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/22 18:45
I've travelled as a family of 4 from when our kids were about 10 to when they were 18 plus. I prefer your first itinerary but I'd factor in at least a day at Enoshima/Kamakura from Tokyo.

Kamikouchi is nice but it is best to stay overnight to see the monkeys which are out and about early in the morning. The Onsen (Spa) Hotel is awesome and has a great rotenburo.

When you go to Takayama look out for the Squirrel (Risu) Park which is about 10 minutes out of town, past the Hotel Associa (also awesome place to stay when it is open).

I'd also suggest you stop at Hikone which has a great castle and grounds and is a fun little town. It is a short distance from Maibara, the shinkansen station between Kyoto and Nagoya.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/22 19:05

1/10/2017 Kamikochi - Nikko

You may want to check the hours needed to get to Nikko from Kamikochi.
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/22 22:32
I personally wonder in both of your itineraries why you are spending so many days in Nagoya. I personally don't have a memory of Nagoya being a specially interesting city.

Also the Kamakura side trip might be easier to be done as a day trip from Tokyo rather than uprooting your family and moving everyone and all suitcases to Kamakura for a night and then to Izu for the next night.

In Izu are you going to rent a car ? Or did you check that the places you want to visit are reachable by bus/train?

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/23 16:35
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. We've driven in Hokkaido but not sure whether it's harder to drive on the mainland.

We've decided to remove Nagoya from our itinerary. Welcome any other recommendations for sightseeing.

Is the Grand World Square at Tobu worth a visit (for the kids)?

Thanks again.

by Tanya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 12 days in Japan for family of 4 2017/8/23 21:13
Regarding driving on Honshu (compared to Hokkaido), well, I would say that in Hokkaido there is obviously much less traffic and the streets are actually quite good (for the low amount of traffic). On Honshu the streets are also okay, probably tend to be less wide, but traffic is more intense. But it is not a problem at all to drive around. I would avoid driving in Tokyo, simply because subway/train is so much more convenient, but once you are out of Tokyo, driving is an option. Specially for places not well served by public transport, e.g. Izu peninsula, Shiragawa-go etc.
For Hakone no car is needed, you have a nice combination of multiple transport vehicles to enjoy and also no car for Kamakura. Bicycle sounds fine, but it depends on your visiting pace. E.g. if you plan to only visit Kita-kamakura a bicycle would be more like an obstacle (and I am saying that although I really like bikes...), but if you want to see Kamakura and Kita-Kamakura bicycle would be fine.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread